Translate

Sunday 8 August 2021

YES WE HAVE GOT BARN OWLS,

As to how many only the future will tell. I have been out most evenings except when raining, but I have still to see a bird, however last night the 30th of July when my wife closed our kitchen curtains, she saw a Barn Owl fly up the back from the box towards the field at the top of our land, hurrah, I went over to the box today to find a large number of pellets under both boxes, I put the old pellets into one of our compost bins so these are all new pellets which does seem a large number for a single bird, I then went out myself and sat in the car on the 31st and just before dark the bird came out of the box as if shot from a gun so no chance of an image, I am however going out again this evening the 1 st of August to see if it ventures  out an d to use a tripod  and a remote to see if I can capture the bird and find out as to whether we have got a male or female, wish me luck. This time as the bird flew out I sneezed  and missed the shot, so its try again tonight John. I had a visit to Eyebrook Reservoir on Thursday the 29 th and had a super afternoon, it was to hot the previous week so I remained in the cool at home. I eventually manage to get an image on the 3 rd of the bird leaving the box but I had to use my hide to keep  the bird from disappearing over fast. Since then the weather  has been  awful so no chance to check the number of birds.





THIS POSTS HEADER.
If anyone has found a way of placing a large image in the header please pass on the informatio.




At last a Barn Owl.

Appears to be a youngish male but when he leaves the box he certainly does it at full speed, I think he's been watching the Olympic games  and has starting blocks in the entrance.








Already getting blurred as he starts to leave.



I was shooting at ISO 25600 but even then he beat me  as shown below.













The following images show he is the most untidy bird we have had, everything gets dumped in the entrance.






Even a Magpie had a look at the rubbish  and could hardly believe it.









This seems an awful amount of pellets for one bird in one night.



EYEBROOK RESERVOIR.
17 th JULY 2021

 I had a very eventful visit  to  Eyebrook in seeing four Osprey  arrive at the  Reservoir during  the afternoon, all appearing to have come from Rutland Water. 





Not all came as close but I cannot read any ring numbers numbers, but they are all  adult males.
















This bird came closer but the blue ring is on the leg we can't see.


They are such graceful birds to watch in flight, almost seems a waste to stop watching to get an image.




































I think the last bird visiting was the Manton Bay male, 33/11.






Still a considerable amount of activity on and around the Tern raft.




And in the air, , I always try for some flight images,  something I really enjoy even with all the aerobatics.











The three Cygnets are coming on well.




I then had a visit from two Red Kites, one of which was continuously calling.












Eyebrook Reservoir 5 th August.

I had another visit hoping to get another large Osprey visits, at least I can sit in the car and rest my knee.




Little Egret.

On most of my previous visits , they have flown past me  before I had seen them.





Then i had a visit from a Buzzard.



I then set myself a challenge to get an image of a House Martin , in flight, this I failed at but managed a Swallow instead, a reasonable compromise.








Yet another chance top pursue my images of birds in flight ,
This time with Canada Geese.






Then a Lapwing.



Then more action at the Tern Raft.






Then more Canada Geese.










I the fad a visit from two Osprey from Rutland but they both kept to the far side of the Reservoir, the Rutland side unfortunately, the  fishing must bee btter at Eyebrook.














I again think this bird is 33/11.





The   Rutland Osprey Project  have announced this last week that this years young have taken the total young fledged  since the start of the Project to over 200. I think the are established.














Gatekeeper Butterfly.














Common Blue Damselfly, by inlet bridge.




Banded Demoiselle, by inlet bridge.





I hope you have enjoyed your visit as much as I have in putting this post together, I am feeling considerably  better but have been told it could take 12 months to fully get over  Sepsis. I have a telephone consultation tomorrow  with a consultant regarding the kidney stone that caused the initial problem as its still with me even after two treatments to shatter it, until it's gone they wont do my knee, I think this time it will be hitting between two hammers, will find out in the morning??























22 comments:

  1. Great to see you back on line, John, especially with good news on both the Barn Owl and the Osprey front. I will look forward to more details of the owls as you continue to observe them and try to assess what is going on. I suggest a remedial housekeeping class for the bird in residence at present! The quantity of pellets seems to exceed what one bird could produce overnight, as you say, so it will be very interesting to see what your detective work reveals. All the best. David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello David,


      It's so good to be back, but I still find I'm a bit slower but that will all get better I have been assured. Its so pleasing to find we have at least one Barn Owl even if he's not the tidiest of Owls. unfortunately I have not been out since due to rain, which it is still coming down, but as soon as is possible you can be sure I will be out seeing what we have. Its been so enjoyable to be out and about and to see so many Osprey. All will be reported, as you say so many pellets for one bird.
      Best wishes to you both.
      John

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. Great news John about the Barn Owl. Good to read you also managed to obeserve and take pictures of the Osprey.
    Take care,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Roos,
      I am still hoping to find another Barn Owl but the weather needs to improve for me to get out, it was so good to be out and see so many Osprey.
      Hope things are getting better for you,
      John

      Delete
  3. Fantastic shooting John, I love the view of Osprey, and the Red Kite, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bob,
      From you that's as real compliment, I always find your images spot on perfect.
      Best wishes,
      John

      Delete
  4. It must have been exciting to see the owls. Brilliant photos of all the birds, and a treat to see the butterflies and damselflies. All thoroughly enjoyed. Thank you John!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Denise,
    Yes To see we still have a Barn Owl was absolutely brilliant, I am going out on my Owl watch very soon this evening, pleasing to read you enjoyed your visit.
    My best wishes to you both,
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My best to both of you also. I look forward to hearing about your owl watch next time you have a chance to write about it.

      Delete
    2. Hello Denise,
      You can be sure updates will be posted, my problem at the moment is the owl leaves the box so quick, quicker than I can fore the camera.
      Best Wishes
      John

      Delete
  6. Hi John!!! I congratulate you for the Barn Owl... Very nice and varied pictures of Osprey Butterflies and other creatures... Have a nice week... Be safe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Ana,
    I had a very good week with the Barn Owl and Osprey, I have been out today and have not been so fortunate
    Best wishes ,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hello John
    finally again owl pictures I'm just as excited for more pictures, the eagles are also great to look at, very varied post, I liked it a lot
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Frank,
    Yes at last we have Owl images, he at the moment is being very difficult when leaving the box as he appears and is gone immediately I wish he would have a sit on the front platform for a while.
    Best wishes,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  11. John enhorabuena por esa lechuza en la caja nido, y por todo el reportaje. Un abrazo desde el norte de España. Todo lo mejor!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hola German,
    We are so pleased we have a Barn Owl in the large box, he appears to be a singleton but I keep on watching from my hide just in case another bird arrives.
    A hug from central England,
    Best wishes.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi John,
    really great to have barn owls in the bird boxes again :-))
    Now to find out how many there are. Really great to read that they are with you again.
    There will be times when you can take better pictures.

    The pictures of the ospreys are truly enviable.
    Beautiful images and also beautifully sharp, clear and clear!
    You can take very good flight photos and you really show that here :-)

    Was I already turned green by the beautiful ospreys, you will also come with red kites!!! What beautiful and impressive birds they are! Beautifully photographed in flight. The other birds in your blog also deserve a place.
    Finally, a few beautiful butterflies and dragonflies.
    Beautiful John.

    Take good care of yourself.
    Kind regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Helma,
      Yes we have a Barn Owl but he is very difficult to get decent image from, he leaves the box at such speed. The Osprey are a real joy to watch and take images, but ~I think they will be on the way to Africa so that's it for another year, In just hope I will be able to see them At Rutland next year, the Red Kites were a bonus when they arrived so I will have to see what's in my next post,
      Thank you Helma for such a positive comment.
      You take good care
      Best wishes
      John

      Delete
  14. Beautiful photos! A few days ago an Osprey was seen near my home! Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alasco,
      Thank you, I hadn't realized you got Osprey.
      Best Wishes
      John

      Delete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!