Translate

Tuesday 13 July 2021

I'm Back At Last. After my enforced  break , still not 100%  but  desperately wanting to get out with the cameras, I want to see wildlife and have a look at other blogs, Thank you all for all the good wishes, they were very much appreciated. I am still having numerous hospital visits, all but one associated with my Sepsis, the other one is for my new knee, that cannot come quick enough.

 WHILST THE CATS AWAY, THE MICE WILL PLAY.

In this case I am the cat, { not known for my stealth} and the mice are  a damnable squirrel, it's only since being home I managed one evening to sit out in the car,  I'm still not up to sitting in the hide, when this little horror appeared and went in both boxes, I am usually  very wary of squirrels on our land and as a rule move them on within a day of seeing them, but this time being otherwise indisposed in hospital  I was unable to do anything about it .  Before going into hospital I was regularly seeing Barn Owls leaving both boxes and we were finding pellets all the time, hence the previous post relating to dissecting Pellets post. Since arriving home and having the visit from the squirrel ,  we saw no Barn Owl pellets or any sign of the birds for the best part of four weeks weeks, I have the ringers asking if we had young in the box and also a friend wishing to visit with his kit to sit in the hide to watch and get some images. At last some good news, as I was out on the tractor  today [11.07.2021 and we had a good amount of pellets under the small box, so tomorrow if it stays dry I will get some images, and as soon as I can get the cameras on in both boxes cameras on in the boxes and see what's going on, fingers crossed all is well.

Pre my hospitalization I had two visits to Eyebrook Reservoir 


CAN SOMEBODY P,LEASE TELL ME HOW TO STOP THIS PROGRAMME SHRINKING MY HHEADER?????




Squirrel on Small Box.

After this it visited the large box. I will have the cameras on in the next few days and see what's going on in the boxes and post an update, this appears to have been a real disaster  for the Owls.



VISIT 1 15th of April.





Black headed gull[ rear view].


On my first visit no Common Terns had arrived,  however great interest was being taken in a Sandwich Tern with its spiky hair do, this I saw but could not get an image unfortunately.


Cormorants on the Tern Raft.

These will soon be moved on when the Terns return.


Red Kite, a go0o0d distance away.

The closer the bird came it really kept a watch as to what I was doing, in the last image it is virtually staring at me.




























Great Tit, near the Reservoir entrance Stream.

I got the following images from the bridge over the stream.




Chaffinch, again by the bridge.






Blue Tit, by the bridge.

Always a delight to watch.




Visit 2.

The Day Prior to being Rushed into Hospital. 






Greylag Goose, opposite Stoke Dry.

This pair got out of the water to feed on the bank.



Canada Goose,[ for David.]


This one also on the bank away from all the  Canada Geese.




Great Tit just about to leave the box.

We've had again this year both Great Tits and Bluer Tits in the nest boxes near the house, also several more pairs in  boxes scattered about in the trees.  








The other bird in the pair returning, it appears with no food










The young Blue Tits fledged first.











Tern Raft Eyebrook Reservoir.

Appears this year a considerable drop in the number of Common Tern and the raft is being shared with Black Headed Gulls.







As usual the normal chaos around the nests is still evident.








Black Headed gull objecting to the Terns returning.










Common Tern Near the Raft.

With the aerobatics its difficult to get a decent image.


This bird was a little more stable.





Yellowhammer[ landed about 30 metres from me.]


This must be the first yellowhammer I've seen in several years.






And then a second bird turned up, must be my lucky day, different tree.




Mute Swans with Cygnets.

The only ones I have seen so far this year.







Peacock.


On my trips over to Eyebrook Reservoir I pass numerous farms and for several trips I have seen these birds, this time one had managed to get somehow onto the roof of the pen, unfortunately all the hens were on the floor with three other males and the camera focused on the wire, not the birds.















My First Trip Out 8 th of July Eyebrook Reservoir.





I could not resist some more Peacock images  on my trip over to Eyebrook. The only male to display was still in the pen and behind the wire unfortunately.





This time two males had got onto the roof.




Hopefully on a visit soon I will manage to get a Male displaying on the Roof.













Common Tern.

A definite drop in numbers over previous years.












My first Osprey of 2021.

This bird had come from Rutland Water and with the help of someone with a scope he managed to read the ring number, it was at a good height as I only saw it on its return journey when it was gaining height to get over the hill and back to Rutland, it was 33/11 the Manton Bay male, all that trouble just for one small roach.
These are all long distance images due to the height the bird was at.










You can just make out the Blue Rutland ring with 33  showing with how his feathers are moving the bird is very close to stalling.




























They really are a majestic bird in flight.













He then having gained sufficient height  glided back to Rutland Water.







Gatekeeper Butterflies.

These images taken on my810 and 50-500mm Sigma lens whilst the 850 sat on my tripod.






This taken mote for the flower.


Update on our Barn Owls.






Barn Owl Pellets and feathers.

Having spent several evenings out in the car, and not seeing any signs of the owls, I collected these pellets yesterday and took the 
image today, we get more every day but I have still to see a Barn Owl. Hopefully the weather will improve and I can get my hide erected.







These Owls are certainly making a fool of me, but I will persevere and see them. I sat out last night in the car until it was dark but no signs of an Owl, went out this morning and a considerable number of new pellets. These birds are laughing at me??????







Thank you for your visit, it's certainly good to feel sufficiently  better to be able to get out  and watch the birds. Again thank you all for the kind thoughts and messages.


17 comments:

  1. Welcome back, John; it's good to see you getting out and about again. I hope you are able to resolve the issues with those peaky squirrels that are causing so many problems with the Barn Owls. A couple of Buzzards taking up residence nearby would be a good thing! The pellets are an encouraging sign, however. If there are pellets there are birds. They can't evade you forever! I will look forward to an update SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello David,
    It's so good to be back, it seems to have been forever, the Barn Owls are so precious to us , to have them disturbed would be such a shame, but as you say where you have pellets you must have an Owl.
    All the best
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered where you was, Richard told me. Horrid illness.
    Beautiful images John, I love the Red Kite, and others were so allured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bob,
      Richard told me you had enquired as to what had happened, it really is a horrid illness, I think I have been very lucky to have survived it, glad you enjoyed the images. So good to get out and see the birds.
      All the best,
      John

      Delete
  4. Bienvenido John, me alegra que estés mejor y casi recuperado. Preciosas fotos nos muestras, a ver si pronto nos das buenas noticias sobre las lechuzas. Un fuerte abrazo y todo lo mejor desde España.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola German,
    I'm sorry but for this reply it will be in English, I could read the Spanish but I'm not p to writing it ,I will keep updates on the Barn Owls thank you for the good wishes.
    A big Hug from England and all the best
    John

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello John
    First of all it's nice that you're back and you can get out again, I can't help you with your problem with the header image, it's exactly the same for me, as soon as I know why I'll let you know ...
    now to your pictures ... the view from the red kite is very nice but the osprey tears me with a great bird ...
    Greetings to the squirrels .. ;-))
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Frank,
    Its so good to be back amongst my friends, I've missed you all, but to get out again with the camera and watch nature is so good. Thanks for the interest shown regarding the header lets hope we can get it sorted.
    I think the Osprey are such a superb bird and get a great satisfaction in watching them.
    All the best
    John

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi John!!!...I'm glad to hear from you again ... I hope you are well and willing to enjoy nature ... Very beautiful and varied images ... Spectacular the osprey ... Take care ... greetings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ana,
      I am on the mend and keen to get out with the camera, nature is so wonderful to watch.
      All the best,
      John

      Delete
  10. I am so happy to see this post John and that you are feeling better, even though you have a ways to go before a hundred percent. Speedy recovery my friend :) Your photos are outstanding as always. I can see why you would not want the squirrel in the box. Take good care of yourself, good health!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Denise,
    I am feeling considerably better and taking interest in nature again, luckily we don't have any idea as to what is round the corner and waiting to strike. I have missed all my blogger friends.
    Thank you for all the kind thoughts .
    My best wishes,
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true about not knowing what is around the corner. I find each day is a blessing. We missed you too :) This was a lovely opportunity to come and see your photos again. They are very uplifting. Thank you John and continued good health. My best wishes to you also!

      Delete
  12. Good evening Denise,
    I have a very good friend who always says to wake up in the morning is a blessing, I really missed my friends, its so pleasing to read how much you enjoyed your visit.
    Best wishes,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi John,
    I'm glad you can be active again :-)
    I can also imagine your frustration that the squirrel goes into the bird houses of the barn owls!! I wouldn't appreciate this either!!!
    I am very happy to read that there was activity of the barn owls under the small bird hut again :-))) That is very good news.
    Your photos are again very beautiful and the red kite keeps making me jealous hahahahaha....

    Then a whole series of beautiful little birds and then also your first osprey. Great to see you again :-)
    Take good care of yourself John.

    Kind regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear Helma,
      I can report all is well with the Barn Owls , thank goodness. I have got some better Red Kite images for my next post, it was so good to see an Osprey, I sa considerably more last week.
      You likewise take care,
      John

      Delete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!