Translate

Tuesday 18 August 2020


WHATS BEEN HAPPENING WITH THE BARN OWLS SINCE MY LAST POST.


I have been out most evenings on monitoring duties, the last two rain stopped play unfortunately. Most evenings I have seen both Male birds but nothing of the Female for the last few days, the resident Male however always returns with a mouse in quick time on his first hunting trip which suggests she is still in the box.
I have found it extremely difficult in the getting of an image of the interloper, it appears which ever box I decide to watch after  the resident leaves after his first outing, the interloper leaves the other, very frustrating, but eventually I have caught him twice whilst leaving the large box, the best part of an hour after the resident bird leaves.
This makes the getting of a decent image very difficult with the evenings getting that much darker earlier, however with the camera being able to shoot up to ISO 125600 this is a help but not always the answer, I have had images with a red and blue hue so they have to be dumped, I also find the lens sometimes struggles in auto focus so its a case of pressing the remote button and wait for the camera to take an image as the lens goes in and out and hopoe to get an image in focus when the two operations coincide, which eventually happens. 
I have also contacted the Barn Owl Trust to get another opinion on our goings on, the office is closed at the moment due to Covid, it is impacting everything, the sooner we get a vaccine the better.




 





Resident Male Leaving the large Box.

This image from the 9 th of August  at 20.51 hrs  at ISO 25600.






This bird tends to come out and have a look about to check the coast is clear before leaving , where as the Interloper comes out of the entrance  like a missile and  straight away, but not always luckily.




The resident bird then had a walk across the platform before flying onto his favourite post. This being his second trip out from the box, 21.08 hrs ISO 51200.





He has sat here on several evenings for up to 30 minutes watching the world go by.






He occasionally  sees something moving and gets transfixed.










A sudden gust blows a few feathers.








Something definitely got his attention but he remained in place for a few minutes more before going hunting.





The next evening the 10th at 20.55 hrs. ISO 25600.




A quick shake and up onto the post again.  










II'm sure he can see me in the hide but tolerates the intrusion into his space.











Resident male again leaving the large box,12th of August 21.20 hrs ISO 512000.
 




Again another quick shake and he then flies down onto one of my compost bins.




Unfortunately he landed behind the gate. 




But then he bobbed up and down a few times and I caught him on the way up. 



Interloper makle leaving the large box.

Luckily a slower departure than normal, 21.35 hrs ISO 125600. 14th of August. He does not appear to have the eye staining  of the resident male.



Again leaving the large box 15th of August 21.42 hrs, ISO 125600.







Same evening as above using the continuous shooting routine .




A VERY SLOW VISIT AT EYEBROOK RESERVOIR.


I decided to have a visit to Eyebrook in  the hope of seeing the Osprey, but unfortunately I saw nothing of the birds. Also the Common Terns had headed South and it was noticeably  quieter without them calling, I was told that over forty young were ringed which from one raft was brilliant, the only sightings were a few Black Headed gulls and some  Lapwings.
I also had a quick visit to see if any Red Kites were about at the village where the gent feeds them but obviously he still could not get his supplies and no birds.
The Manton Bay Ospreys, the young male 083 has got underway on his first migration in the last few days so good luck to him.






Black Headed Gull, near the Tern Raft.
How quick these birds loose the black head at this time of the year. 




A quick dribble of the feet in the water. 










Lapwings, again near the Tern Raft.

Several groups flew by in the afternoon. 









 Thank you for your visit, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did in the getting of the images.

16 comments:

  1. Fantastic the Barn Owl, what is he doing? I love Oystercatchers, beautiful noises. Great piece of work John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,
      After all the years we have had Barn Owls on our land,we have never had such a mixture, again lat night I had two males leave the box. Glad you enjoyed the images.
      You and yours tay safe
      John

      Delete
  2. Excellent barn owl pictures and I can't even find a house sparrow to photograph. Stay safe John while I look for a sparrow. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mike,
    Thank you for such a comment, and good luck with the Sparrow hunt.
    You stay safe,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous photos John, those owls are amazing to look at, so beautiful! Loved all the other shots too. Thank you! Keep safe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise,
      Always pleasing to hear people have enjoyed my efforts with these birds,
      You both stay safe,
      John

      Delete
  5. Good morning Esteemed Keeper of the Owls! Sorry to be a little tardy in commenting, but we spent a few days in Ottawa with my daughter and I am just now getting caught up with everyone. Your record of the owls continues to be impressive, and I hope that some young biologist seeking data for a master's degree or a PhD will use your data at some point. I am sure it contributes in no small way to the store of knowledge on this species. The ongoing photographic record may be quite unmatched. All the best from Miriam and me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Both,
      Hope you had an enjoyable family visit in Ottawa, my David thats some title for me to live up to, what a super subject to have for a PhD, I've always said to get a PhD, you need to love the subject of your work, I am still seeing both males every evening and loving every minute of the watching.
      All the best and stay safe.
      Veg abd me.

      Delete
  6. hello John
    I'm excited again about your observations, the ISO is of course not that good, but you can see everything very well, great series where the observation brings a lot of joy ...
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank
      And thank you, I am having a superb time monitoring these birds , but of course they don't appear until its nearly dark, not making it easy to get decent images, the Interloper has appeared the last two nights and I could hardly see him. I'm lucky with the kit I use which helps with the high ISO.

      You stay safe and well.
      John

      Delete
  7. Hi John!!! Great work.. They are absolutely beautiful creatures.. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana,
      They really are an absolute delight to watch.
      You stay safe and well
      John

      Delete
  8. Hi John,
    I think the owls are really beautiful to see.
    It is a pity that the association that could give you an answer is closed because of the covid.
    Everything and everyone has to do with it and it really worries me. The virus is popping up everywhere.
    You have also been able to photograph the Mediterranean gull nicely :-)

    Stay healthy and safe John.
    Kind regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helma,
      I must admit I am really enjoying my time with the Barn Owls, It is such a shame the Trusts office is closed, I am sure they could help. THis damn virus is impacting everyone in so many different ways, wwe have just heard of a new outbreak in a town not far from us
      ou stay healthy and safe Helma,
      my best wishes,
      John

      Delete
  9. Dear John,
    It's really fabulous watching this bird in your garden. you can share all the moments of his life, it's magical.
    Thank you for all these close-ups.

    We are thinking about a nest box for the owls, we think we have the right tree ! To be continued. :-)
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nathalie,
    The more boxes put up he better, Barn Owls are having a bad time looking for nest sites and boxes are a very good alternative for these birds, Any help I can be please ask

    Good Luck and look forward to the results.
    You stay safe.
    John

    ReplyDelete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!