Translate

Tuesday 4 August 2020

MY PREVIOUS POST PART 2. THE BARN OWLS.

Unfortunately due to a glitch in Blogger, the Barn Owl update did not get [posted, the whole of the second half of my post was missing so I'm doing a seperate post purely on the Owls. Richard found that sometimes when he came onto the post the Owl images were in place and on other visits non were on.  Thank you Richard for the assistance.
These birds are causing more confusion than enough, even the experts are in a state of turmoil with these birds. I have been out most evenings monitoring the goings on except when we have had rain. I have been attempting to get some more images of the interloper leaving the small box, the resident male is always the first to leave the safety of the box, usually up to an hour prior the interloper showing and with the interloper I get very little warning of his departure, with the resident male he comes to the entrance and has  a look about to see the coast is clear before departing, whereas with the interloper the first I see of him is as he bursts out from the entrance, its almost as if he has a catapult launch similar to on an Aircraft Carrier, I sat on the evening of the 29th July, the resident male having been out and returned with a mouse before leaving again, so I then trained the camera on the entrance to the small box, unfortunately even though firing the remote all I managed was a very  blurred tip of his tail , I was decidedly un pleased   but thought I would  persevere the following evening, so on the 30th I  sat again  all at the ready  only for both birds to exit the large box, the only good thing for the evening being the resident male came into the entrance that much earlier allowing me to shoot at a much lower ISO 12800 thereby getting some better images, these images being the header and the first three of the post, the time being 20.20 hrs, he then decided it early for him and returned into the box for another 40 minutes  before eventually departing an returning with a mouse the some 40 minutes later at 22.20 hrs the interloper came out of the large box  and flew away, I did manage a very poor quality image , a due to the speed of his departure and  it was virtually dark, surprising how the nights are already drawing in, I was out again last night and he again left the large box so we have 2 males and a female in the large box, something is not as it should be.
On a lighter note, I sat in my hide last week and heard a Barn Owl call, so I carefully opened the top of the hide only to see a male Barn Owl sitting in the tree looking at me only about 1.80 metres away, I think he is monitoring me.









Male Barn Owl, Large Box.

This is as he first came out, had a look about then decided he was earlier than he should be. 




Being able to shoot at a much lower ISO the images are a better quality.









Decided he was early and returned into box. 




Previous evening the resident male leaving the box  at his leisure.








He sat fpr a short time on the front of the box.




Before flying up onto his favourite post. 









He sat for several minutes having a good look about. 



















After this he was away hunting and after a while the interloper departed from the small box.









The resident male leaving the large box for the second time and time  for me to go in.




Luckily I remained in the hide and caught the interloper male as he departed the large box.. as you can tell its was virtually dark and everything was flashing on the camera and the lens was struggling to focus but that's what happens when you stay out to watch Barn Owls. The time was 22.20hrs.








Thank you for your visit, Ihope you have enjoyed it as much a I did in the getting of the images. I apologise for the mess with the previous post


20 comments:

  1. I love the barn owl John but just my luck I can't find any near me. Lovely pictures. Stay safe. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike,At the moment I have got one Male Barn Owl too many, I will send him on his way to you, always gratifying to hear people enjoy your efforts.
      You likewise stay safe
      John

      Delete
  2. i John,
    Your previous blog was not such a mess. I also see all the pictures of the owls there and in this blog as well. I think the photos are clear and you can also see them very well in the details.
    I continue to think it is a strange phenomenon that there are 2 males and a female. The connoisseurs had heard more about it, I already read in another epost from you and they may know :-)

    Be careful and stay safe.
    Kind regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Helma,
    How strange you got all the images, Richard did occasionally receive them all. Last night the two males came out of the large box together, I am again getting in touch with the Barn Owl Trust regarding the goings on.
    You and yours stay safe and well
    John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goedenacht, hoe gaat het? Ik ben Braziliaans en ik zoek nieuwe volgers voor mijn blog. En ik zal de jouwe met plezier volgen. Ook nieuwe vrienden zijn welkom, ongeacht de afstand.

    https://viagenspelobrasilerio.blogspot.com/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Luiz,
      Thank you for a visit from Brazil, hope you enjoyed our British birds
      You stay safe
      John

      Delete
  5. Hello John, your previous blog with the Barn Owls I could see also all the photos. Just as in this blog. So no problems here.
    They are ofcourse most wonderful.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roos,
      Helms found likewise, Richard found it varied so I thought it best to give the Barn Owls a post, pleased you find the images to be good.
      You stay safe
      John

      Delete
  6. Hi John: I thought something might have gone awry when I did not see a single images of the Barn Owls, and in fact right after leaving my comment the entire post disappeared! In any event all's well that ends well and the owls have returned to their rightful place of prominence! All the best, David

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi David,
    You were most certainly correct. even with Richards help it was impossible to sort,however the Owls are back in the correct place , a full post for themselves, sorry for any inconvenience
    You both stay safe,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good afternoon, I'm your number 9 follower. I would like to have the privilege of following you too. Thanks for visiting and comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Luiz
      My pleasure likewise I will follow.
      Stay safe
      John

      Delete
  9. Hi John
    You are so lucky to have a Barn Owl living to close up, beautiful series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,
      We are more than lucky, how many people can walk 60 metres from the mhouse and take im,ages of these beautiful birds.
      You stay safe
      John

      Delete
  10. Hi John!!! Very nice pictures of this beauty... Happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ana,
    Glad you enjoyed your visit, You have a good week
    Stay safe
    John

    ReplyDelete
  12. hello John
    Another pleasure to experience these birds so closely, wonderful
    two men and a woman .. ;-)
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Frank,
    I am still out every evening monitoring these birds, I am taking the images from about 60 metres away, its a mixture of the camera and lens giving the quality, no skill of mine.
    You stay safe
    John

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to hear about the problem with blogger. Very nice of Richard to let you know something was amiss. I always am grateful to my blogging friends for that kind of thing. A very interesting description of the owls and their behaviors. Those Barn Owls are beautiful and you have once again captured lovely images. Thank you so much for sharing them. Take good care of yourselves, and I look forward to my next trip here :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Denise,
    Sorry with the late reply, better late than never!!, always good to have friends that help in your hour of need in blogging, friends are invaluable as a blogger. These Barn Owls are certainly keeping me on my toes this year with kll the goings on. Always pleased when people comment on the images, they are such a beautiful subject to capture.
    You likewise take care and stay safe.
    John

    ReplyDelete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!