Translate

Saturday 29 August 2020

A MORE PRODUCTIVE VISIT TO EYEBROOK.



I decided to have another try at Eyebrook Reservoir hoping for the Osprey to show and luckily for me 03/09 arrived not long after arriving and nearly finishing my lunch, so sandwich on the passenger seat and out the car and hand holding this hefty camera and lens, they tell me its good exercise, but I soon finished up resting the lens on top of the car door, much easier, after this very pleasing interruption  I finished my lunch, later in the afternoon  I saw a friend who I have been seeing at the reservoir for a long time who told me he had seen 03/09 and three other Osprey in 03/09's favourite tree on the Wednesday afternoon, I was glad to see the one bird however I kept a good watch on the tree with my bins for the rest of my visit.





Male Osprey 03/09.

Unfortunately he never came very close, I would estimate he was a good 500 metres away for these images. 






Same image as above but not so cropped to show second Osprey above him.







He had a bit of a drift about before the two birds were heading towards the Dam and out of sight.













Black Headed Gull.


Out Towards the Tern Raft, the only one I bothered to get an image from.


Being so pale  this bird was really difficult to miss.




Pale Phase  Common Buzzard.


This bird then appeared and was initially being followed by a Red Kite, but by the time I had taken a few images the Kite had disappeared. This is the palest bird I have ever seen, had to check with a friend As to what it was.










Then it was gone over some trees and out of view.




















MORE ON THE BARN OWLS.

Whenever the weather is suitable, {which it is most certainly not this evening, hence the work on a new post} I have been out with these beautiful birds attempting to get a better idea  as to what they are doing, when out in the hide I tend to concentrate on the large box , this being where all three birds roost, but on Wednesday the 26th evening, I was as normal watching the large box when late on, the resident male came out of the small box. Has the Interloper sent him packing? or has he moved himself out. I will have to put on the cameras in both boxes, at the same time watching the box as the cameras for some reason disturb the Males but not the Female.
I have eventually managed some slightly better images of the Interloper leaving the large box. I find myself complaining its dark when he appears, but as a friend commented, its an Owl, they come out when its dark, I suppose  I should be grateful the Resident Male comes out that bit earlier.
In these awful times these birds have been a wonderful distraction and have got me outside safely on our own land wel away from people.











Resident Male.
He changed his favourite post for a short time  and sat on the other side of the box.




First look out of the evening.




And a casual stroll across the front of the box, a far more relaxed bird than the Interloper. 









And then up onto his favourite post. 




A quick tidy up.





A quick check to see if I'm still about in the hide.
















Another evening and the first sighting. 










And again up onto his favourite post, a creature of habit. 














I'm not sure as to the attraction of this post, perhaps when its dark he finds its a good hunting position. 








Then down onto the front of the box and a short flight.



Then up onto the post on the other side of the box.








Then back down onto the front of the box.





Then he was away hunting and back in under five minutes with a mouse. 




 I have put this image in this position so you can see the difference with the bird below.








SOME IMAGES OF THE INTERLOPER AT LAST.

 The images below  were taken over three nights with the camera objecting by a very slow speed indication and great difficulty in focusing, as good as your kit is ,to be fair it's not designed to work in the dark, low light yes, dark , no but that's the nature  of he bird I am working with, so please be understanding with the poor image quality.
You will notice the Interloper has different shaped eyes to the Resident bird, as above, and also has not got the eye staining either.







Interloper Male.

Not so heavily cropped but the different  shape to the eyes and lack of staining evident.









One of these nights he will appear earlier . 















The lack of staining really evident in this image.




Thank you for your visit, I hope you have enjoyed it as much as I have in the getting of the images.








18 comments:

  1. Great coverage of the Barn Owls as always, John. I am sure that they know what they are doing although some of their behaviour may be a mystery to us. I really like the flight shots of the Buzzard. Well done with this. Our young Ospreys have all left the nest now and they may be seen practicing their flight skills up and down the rivers and over the lakes. We saw one youngster a couple of weeks ago get into a tussle with an adult Bald Eagle - and I don't think it took the Osprey long to figure that was not a good idea! All the best you you and Veg. David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David,
    I am also sure these Owls know what they are doing, confusing me!, I am hoping to put the cameras on in the boxes tomorrow and find out which bird is where, Th first Osprey young 083 got underway to Africa a couple of weeks ago, good luck yo all of them on this first and most dangerous migration. The trouble with the young Osprey is they have seen the adult Males see off all sorts of other birds and think they can do likewise, not always the case.

    All the best to you and Miriam
    Stay safe and well
    John and Veg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John, A bit of one-up-manship there, you have been nearer to an osprey this year than I have. Stay safe. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike,
      Sorry about that, it wasn't meant to be, for many years I have worked with these beautiful birds as a volunteer, watching the Manton Bay nest.
      You stay safe and well.
      John

      Delete
  4. Beautiful images of the flying birds, the Osprey is my favourite. And the Barn Owl, always my favourite. Thanks John.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bob,
    Its been a quite year for me with the Osprey with my usual Osprey dutie being cancelled due to this virus but at least I have seen the odd one at Eyebrook. Like you the Barn Owls always win, I am just about to go out and get in the hide.

    You stay safe and well
    John

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello John
    I know the problem too well, either too far away or in the wrong place or behind trees or or or .. but sometimes it works, nice report from the owls
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank,
      Why are we never in the correct place, or do trees move, as you say it sometimes works, The Owls are being a saviour at the moment with this awful virus about, they give me an interest every day.
      You and yours stay safe and well
      John

      Delete
  7. Brilliant images John, the owls always draw me to them. I do love your other birds also mind you. My sister-in-law has an osprey stand not too far from her home, which she takes photos of when there are young in the nest earlier on. Stay safe and healthy both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise,
      So pleasing when people enjoy the images, I think we are lucky with Barn Owls on our land, your sister in law having Osprey nearby, wonderful, they are such a spectacular bird to watch.
      You both stay safe and well,
      John

      Delete
    2. Hello John, just checking in to say hi. Hope all goes well with you and your loved ones. Enjoyed browsing down the photos again :)))

      Delete
    3. Hi Denise,
      thank you for the interest, we are all fit and well, the Barn Owls are taking up a considerable amount of my time at the moment.
      You look after yourselves in these awful times.
      John

      Delete
  8. Un reportaje espectacular, las fotos del busardo blanco en vuelo son extraordinarias y que placer ver a esas lechuzas fuera del nido. Enhorabuena John, espero que hayas pasado un buen verano, un fuerte abrazo desde el norte de España.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola German,
      Los buitres son los mas palidas que he visto nuestros buhos estan fuera cada noche es tan bueno poder verios en la seguridad de nuestro propio jardin,.
      Un gran abrazo desde centro de Gran Bretana.
      Mantente a salvo y bien.
      John

      Delete
  9. Hello John, great you were able to see the Osprey. The other birds are most wonderful and good you managed to see the intruder with the Barn Owls.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roos,
      Yes a wondrous sighting seeing both birds out fishing, they are such graceful birds to watch in flight. Yes I also saw the intruder Barn Owl, more to be revealed in the next post.
      You stay safe.
      John

      Delete
  10. Hi John,
    I see really beautiful and sharp pictures of the osprey. The photos in flight are really great to see. the beautiful drawing in his feathers is completely intact :-) Really beautiful.

    I am really curious what this is now, those 3 owls in a box. 2 men and 1 woman. Really very special with the owls.
    Luckily these owls have made you forget the bad time of the covid for a while but the virus has quickly returned to us !!!
    Stay safe and sound John.

    Cordial greetings,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi helma,
    Thank you for the visit, The Owls are certainly causing some interest all over, and in my next post things get more complicated than ever, aS you remark, the Owls have certainly given some respite in these desperate times with this virus, we today have had cases in a small town we live just outside.
    You stay safe and well,
    John

    ReplyDelete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!