Translate

Wednesday 9 September 2020

THE BARN OWLS, YOU REALLY COULDN'T MAKE IT UP!!!!


If this season with these beautiful birds had to date been bizarre to say the least, after an evening monitoring on the 1 st of September things really went off the scale, I was sitting in my hide  and the resident male having departed and returned with his mouse, I settled in for the wait for the Interloper to decide to leave . As I was watching the large box as after having the CCTV cameras on that's where all the birds were roosting fortunately, the night went on and it was getting progressively darker when I noticed through the corner of my eye some movement in the entrance into the small box, I had a quick look and nothing was really showing so I swung the camera round  on the tripod and took a quick image, shooting at ISO 125600 is never easy but to my amazement sat on the front of the platform after coming out of the box was an adult Tawny Owl,   the bird sat for a minute or two before flying , so we are on four owls two species in two boxes. After this the Interloper came out of the large box after about five minutes but by then the lens would not focus so I made it back to the house to try another night. I start to wonder what is going to appear then???.
Then on the following evening, the resident male emerged at about 20.15 hrs , but for the first time did not return  with his usual mouse, this initially I found very worrying, but then at 20.40 hrs the interloper emerged from the small box, fortunately the Tawny had just the single day in situ or I'm sure we would have had two dead Barn Owls,followed some 10 minutes later by the female, so my thoughts with the resident bird are if you want to move in with the interloper either he can feed you or feed yourself, I'm going to hunt for myself. This all changed a couple of days later but I will let the images tell the tale.
I have been out this evening and just returned in at 20.49hrs and have seen all three birds but the resident male has returned twice this evening with a mouse and entered the Small box I would say to feed the female, so he is wooing her with food, will she return to the Large box,? he is certainly proving himself as a good provider, I have yet to see the Interloper bring her any food, she has to make her mind up.







Resident Male, Large box .

First sighting of the evening, unfortunately its getting darker so much earlier, I will soon have to take my tea out into the hide.





Out onto the front of the box. 




Then an about turn and up to the other end, and then away hunting. 



And on his return with his mouse the following show how the bird folds his wings, this happens as fast as the camera could take images.




















At this time the female and interloper were still residing in the large box. 



He then re emerged from the box and took up position on his post .














And then he was away again hunting. 






Tawny Owl. Small Box.
Then after seeing some movement in the doorway, I managed a few images even though it was much darker of this bird, difficult to see being such a dark bird. unfortunately not a good image, This was about 20 minutes after the resident male had departed for the second time..



Resident Male on the evening of the 2  nd of September on his favourite post.



After returning to the box only to re emerge some 10 minutes later.











Out onto the front. 




Then an about turn and back into the box. 




Only to be back out after a couple of minutes. 




And away hunting. 



Only to return with a mouse and take it to the female in the small box. a crafty move to hopefully get her to return into the large box. This caught me totally unaware and the camera was still on the large box so a quick swing round and shoot, hence the poor image.



Then after feeding his girl, back onto the front of the box looking smug with himself.





A quick shake to re adjust all his feathers so he looks his best.



Then he waited a few seconds and then was away again hunting, not sure if he returned again, as it became too dark.



Interloper Male. Small Box, 6 th of September.

Here appearing ready to be away hunting from the small box. it was virtually dark, the female appeared some 15 minutes later








Unfortunately none of the images are that good,I was fighting the darkness, its getting dark earlier






I MADE TRACKS ON MY AFTERNOON OUT FOR SOME TIME WITH THE RED KITES.
I eventually finished up in Horse Lane, admittedly  I didn't get so close to the birds but at least I could watch them as they flew about, this time they were about 300 metres away in the field adjacent to where they are fed, this was between 14.30 hrs and 15.00 hrs, Richard has had a visit and was informed they are not being fed until 18.00m hrs this time of the year. I will have to try and have a word with Arthur.





This pair were swooping about and eventually had this close call. 




And then parted and kept clear of each other.




 They really have a piercing eye and an evil looking beak. 




















This bird circled over a tree for several minutes. 




They appear to be the same image but subtle differences. 




I hope you have enjoyed your visit as much as I have in the getting of the images and the putting together of this post.

14 comments:

  1. I think that must be my favourite bird, the red kite. I can tell a lot of tales of my experiences with kites. A most intelligent bird. Stay safe John. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike,
    I have been out watching some this afternoon, a real delight as they swoop after each other, my trouble is I have too may favourite birds.
    You likewise stay safe Mike,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful images John, I love the Red Kites playing with each flight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,
      I must admit I have really enjoyed watching the Red Kites with all the antics they get up to.
      You stay safe.
      John

      Delete
  4. Hello John, as much as I like the Barn Owl I go for the Red Kite this time. Amazing and beautyful birds. Great photos!!
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roos,
      the Red Kites are such stylish bit=rds that I get great enjoyment in watching, always an added bonus in getting some images. The Barn Owls keep me busy till late every night and I have more surprises for the next post.
      You stay safe
      John

      Delete
  5. hello John
    the report about the owls again very good a shame that they don't even fly in the light for you so much effort you make ... ;-) also the Milan is super captured, flight photos are not my specialty ...
    Regards frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank,
      It would certainly make life easier if the came out of the boxeh that much earlier, but that's the nature of the bird.they certainly keep me busy in the evenings, luckily the camera shoots at high ISO numbers. With the Red Kites I really enjoy taking flight shots.
      You and yours stay safe,
      John

      Delete
  6. El Strix aluco estaba haciendo una prospección de la caja nido y si le gusta lo que ve hace todo lo posible para echar a la Tyto alba y desplazarla. Lo vi el año pasado en una cueva natural de roca, después de más de diez años criando la Tyto alba este verano crió el Strix aluco. John enhorabuena por este reportaje, es alucinante que te salgan nítidas las fotos a esos ISOS tan elevados. Un fuerte abrazo desde el norte de España.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hola German,
    Afortunamenteno hemos visto mas del Carabo,asi que espero que losLechuzas estena salvo. La configuracion de la camara que tengo es sin duda adecuada para obtener imagenes de buho con el alto ISO requerido.
    Gracias por el commentario y me alegro que haya disfrutado de la visita.
    U abrabrazo desde el UK, mantente a salvo.
    Jojn

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great shot John! Very exciting to have a different species there. I’m glad the male came back with the mouse. They certainly are beautiful birds. Thank you for sharing how he folds his wings. Always fascinated in these things. Wouldn’t you just love to be able to talk owl and find out what’s going on? :) I think your photos taken in the half light are excellent, from one who does not do well in half light and am impressed with yours. Lovely to see the Red Kites in flight. Thanks John and continued good health to you both in these trying times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Denise,
    It was good to see another Owl species but also good it didn't stay, Tawny Owls can be very aggressive and I was concerned for the Barn Owls. The resident male is bringing back two mice early evening for the female having got her to return to the big box. I likewise find it fascinating to see the way he folds his wings upon entering the box. I have attempted to have a word with the birds but all to no avail I'm afraid, I wish I could find out what is actually going on.. The low light images are down to the camera and lens I use , I must admit I'm likewise impressed, I can get reasonable results when its nearly dark. The Red Kites are such a super subject to watch, and I will try to get to this little village as often as I can.
    Likewise to you both, stay safe and well in these awful times, the quicker we get a vaccine the better and we can get back to normality
    John

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi John,
    you say you don't have a good picture of the tawny owl but I would have done a lot to photograph this beautiful tawny owl like this !!! Truly a beautiful picture of this tawny owl.

    The story of the barn owls remains really special. Let's just say there is a love triangle with these owls lol ......
    I really enjoyed your photos :-))))

    The wings of the flying red kite are really envious!
    Beautiful photos and wonderful to be able to photograph this like this. My compliments.

    Stay safe and sound John. The virus is growing very fast again.
    Kind regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Helma,
    Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for the comment regarding the Tawny, I am also grateful in not seeing it again with the Barn Owls, I think it would try to move them out of the boxes. The Barn Owls have been such a help in theses awful times.
    I enjoy watching the Red Kites, they are so agile in flight and when ever possible I try to catch birds in flight,
    You likewise be careful with this virus
    you and yours stay safe and well
    John

    ReplyDelete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!