Translate

Wednesday 23 December 2020

WISHING YOU ALL A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS, AND A MUCH IMPROVED 2021,

Firstly thank you all for the following and help and advice with the Barn Owls during 2020, and lets all hope for a much improved 2021 and we see the end of this awful Covid 19 virus. Looking back it has been a funny old year that for me was helped immensely by our Barn Owls, giving me an interest that I could  really  get involved with without having to leave home  making my life much safer sitting out of a summers evening in my hide, it makes me look forward to next summer. 

From the BTO records it was not a good year for Barn Owls, not just ours, it appears lots of pairs did not breed, I from what I can see however  only our birds got  themselves into such a  diabolical mix up, so fingers crossed for next year.

 

I am  sill on reasonable evenings seeing two male bird, one from each box, could still be more but it gets dark so early and quick.

 

 


SOME OF MY  FAVOURITES FROM 2020. 



 

 

Resident Male Barn Owl.

 I will say one thing for this male, he as far as I saw fed the female at least once every night even when she move into the small box, so I hope he stays for next year , he's proved himself as a good provider. He has a reasonable am amount of staining to the eyes.

 

 

 

















 
















Resident Female Barn Owl.

My personal thoughts are that she was a young bird and wasn't really sure as to what to do or what her role was, hence she took the food brought in by the male but also went out hunting herself.

 



Interloper Male 1.

With the arrival of this bird things  started  to go wrong, his eyes certainly gives an oriental appearance.








Interloper Male 2.

Similar looking male to the resident male but with very little staining to the eyes.









Tawny Owl.

Fortunately only took up residence for one day in the small box and never to be seen again.







Robin Calke Park.

Staying close to the feeders.





Red Deer Stag. Calke Park.

In comparison to some estates only a small herd is held but good to visit and see them.








Younger Stag.

Carrying damage to his Antlers from the rut.






Coal Tit, Eyebrook Reservoir.

 
Numerous birds attracted to the feeders, just good to watch.





Blue Tit, Eyebrook Reservoir.

Again attracted to the feeders.




Great Tit, Eyebrook Reservoir.

Again by the feeders.




Chaffinch, Eyebrook Reservoir.

Collecting the seed dropped by the other birds from the floor.



Herring Gull, Eyebrook Reservoir.

Not a gull we see in large numbers at the reservoir.




Common Tern, Eyebrook Reservoir.

Feeding Young on Tern Raft.







Golden Eye, Swithland Reservoir.

Beautiful Duck for me only surpassed by a Smew.








Red Kite, Small village in Northamptonshire

I have been visiting these birds on a regular basis, wonderful birds to watch in flight,.






















Thank you for your visit, I hope you have enjoyed it as much as I have in the putting the post together.






17 comments:

  1. I am 'owling with delight over this post, John. All the very best for Christmas and the New Year to you and Veg. I will look forward to another year of life with the owls through your eyes. David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,
      Owls about that, a double Owl comment, likewise we wish you and Miriam a Merry Christmas And lets hope 2021 is a much improved year and we see the end of this virus and our lives can return to some kind of normality. Also lets hope the owls can get things in order and I can report on Owlets.
      Stay safe,
      John and Veg.

      Delete
  2. Hello John, great photos again of the Barnowls. Hope they will start breading in Spring.
    Wishing you and your loved ones Merry Chirstmas and a Happy New Year but most of all good health and joy in nature.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roos,
      I just had to put some Barn Owl photos in my favorites, think we all hope these birds get themselves sorted out and I can report on a breeding pair. Likewise to you and yours a Merry Christmas and a much Improved New Year when we will hopefully be able to travel more to enjoy nature.
      Stay safe,
      John

      Delete
  3. hello John
    a nice summary of the 2020 pictures, i have followed them throughout the year and there were always great photos and great descriptions, this was always a lot of fun for me.
    I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and of course a great and healthy New Year 2021 and lots of beautiful photos and stories ...
    Stay healthy
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Frank,
      Always pleasing to read people have enjoyed visiting my posts, lets all hope for a more conducive year for getting out and about with the cameras without the worry of having to stay clear of people. My best wishes to you and your family for a wonderful Christmas and a fit and healthy 2021, and pf course getting vaccinated.
      Stay safe,
      John

      Delete
  4. Beautiful collections of 2020. Season's greeting to you John and your wife,.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bob,
    Thank you and our best wishes to you and yours,
    Stay safe.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello John,
    It has been a difficult year. Less for some people like us because nature has helped us. You have been able to follow the life of the owls with magic, it's fantastic.
    What a pity for the owl nesting this year. What is the reason?
    I wish you both a happy end of the year and good health.
    See you soon for new adventures.... we hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nathalie,
      We as you say are fortunate in having an interest in nature., I am particularly fortunate in having the Barn Owls, a wonderful distraction. Hopefully next year we will return to normality and have some young. Strangely Barn Owls occasionally have bad years but they still manage to keep the numbers up..
      Lets hope we al have a better 2021 and numerous adventures to keep us all happy, an d with the vaccine just around the corner things can only get getter.
      all the best to you both for 2021, stay safe.
      John

      Delete
  7. Hi John,
    yes, 2020 was certainly a very dismal and weird year for everyone. Let's hope that in the new year 2021 we get some more options and that the virus is brought under control.
    Your pictures of the barn owls stole my heart. As you know I really love owls and especially the wonderful world of the barn owls in your nesting boxes were really very interesting to follow :-) I'm already looking forward to a new series and they will certainly breed again with you.

    The other 4th pictures of the trood breast, the tits, the finch, the goldeneye and certainly the red kite are great to see. also your hertn are more than welcome before my eyes :-))))))
    Stay healthy and safe John.

    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Helma,
    At the moment the virus appears out of control in the UK, but apparently today at last the number of new cases has fallen.
    The Barn Owls appear to have created great interest every where and hopefully this year they will breed, I already have my schedule 1 license from the BTO so I am already to go, I have today found pellets under the large box so we still have Owls in residence.
    It is pleasing to read you enjoyed the other birds images.
    Won't be long before we are vaccinated hopefully,
    You stay healthy and safe Helma,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jonh... Beautiful birds and images... I hope you are well and I wish you a happy new year healthy and happy... Stay safe and enjoy...🥂😊

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ana,
    Yes we are well but we have gone into a higher Covid Tier which is going to make it very difficult to get out with the vameras, we have to stay at home??
    You stay safe and well
    John

    ReplyDelete
  11. Speaking for myself John, your beautiful images were a tonic to the woes we have all faced, a bright sunshine each time I came here. Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful birds, and other animals, throughout the year. I would like to wish you and your dear lady a Very Happy and Healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Denise,
    As the weather is in the UK at the moment, we have very little sunshine, I am so pleased you found your visit a tonic, we have all faced a most traumatic year and all need some respite which hopefully the vaccine will give. E have unfortunately gone into a higher Tier rating which basically means we have to stay at home, to cold to sit in the hide, , maybe no post??.
    All the best to you and yours for a much improved year.
    John

    ReplyDelete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!