Translate

Sunday 1 December 2019

SOME OF MY FAVOURITES OF THE YEAR.
With the weather in England having been so appalling  lately and after trying on three occasions  to venture out with the cameras, unfortunately to no avail, { I managed one poor image per visit}  I have decided to post some of my favourite images of the last twelve months, If it ever stops raining be assured me and the cameras will be out , this weather is sending any birder demented.
I start with my header which was taken when the Barn Owl Owlets had been ringed  on the 14 th of September. I am still having sightings of Barn Owls but until I can get some images I am unsure as to whether the birds are the adults or the youngsters  still hanging about. Hopefully they are the adults overwintering in the box.
Red Kite, Eyebrook Reservoir.

Th is bird was feeding on some road kill , So I reversed into a gateway, the bird was then disturbed by a car and flew away  only to return and land in this tree prior to returning to its feast.

Male Osprey 03/2009, the adult male from site 'O'.  Eyebrook Reservoir.

Taken opposite Stoke Dry Village whilst the bird was on a fishing trip.
Buzzard , Near Allexton Village.

Luckily spotted early whilst driving to Eyebrook Reservoir, you cannot get very close to these birds, they are so nervous. 
Great Crested Grebes. Shallow Water Hide, Rutland Water.

An early visit for the Ospreys last Springso I had a visit to the new Shallow Water Hide where this pair had started nest building  and some displaying. 
Adult Tawny Owl,   In my friends Regand Jill Garden, 
They finished up with a pair,   I put Reg in touch with the Hawk and  Owl Trust,  and they had a box put up and when the box was checked by the trust.a very angry female and two Owlets  were in the box but unsure as to the outcome  
AVRO Lancaster, Eyebrook Reservoir.

This aircraft is a regular attraction in the area as the Captain lives locally, wonderful to see this old aircraft in such superb condition. 
Barn Owl Owlet, Our Garden Ring Number   GR 4965.

We are still seeing and hearing Barn Owls on our land but as to whether they are adults or young birds  I am unsure but hopefully adults then after over wintering they an have an earlier  start breeding making it much easier for me to get some decent images, and not having to shoot at such high  ISO settings.
Male Teal, Crake Hide, Rutland Water.

Crake Hide is the smallest Hide on the reserve but is always worth a visit, always something appears worth watching. Teal are such a showy duck.





Short Eared Owl , Near Eyebrook Reservoir. 

Three of these birds took up residence around Christmas time last year and remained until late March, still waiting for them to return this year, but it has been very mild an wet and I have not seen any reports in the Midlands of any being sighted.
Common Tern, Eyebrook Reservoir.

not the easiest of subjects but wonderful to watch in flight, you never can guess where they will go next, what with diving, swerving and all other antics so difficult to follow with the camera.
Red Kite, Eyebrook Reservoir.

a farmer was turning his hay and this bird was following the tractor seeing  if anything had been injured .
Shelduck, Rutland Water,Shoveler Hide,

Several of these birds flew in but only stopped for a matter of seconds, you have to make the best of these short visits.
Kestrel, Upper Bunker Hide, Eyebrook Reservoir.

Another bird that did not stay around Very long, feathers  fluffed out, it was a very cold day, but at least it was dry, we are hoping for more dry days.

Badger, Calke Abbey.

With the Barn Owls taking up so much of my time this summer, I could not get as many visits in with the Badgers as I would have liked, but they will have to wait until next year.



I hope you have enjoyed your visit as much as I did in the getting of the image sand hopefully soon  I will manage to get out ans get some new images without it raining.


19 comments:

  1. Hi John.
    I'm sorry for you, this season is difficult to go out.
    Good idea this collection of photos of this year. I recognize some photos and I like them all.

    See you soon john.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nathalie,
    Wow that was a quick visit,I only seemed to have posted the blog and your comment appeared very soon after. So pleased you enjoyed your visit and could remember some of the images.
    The weather has at the moment brightened up but the amount of rain we have had in the UK has been terrible and the number of poor people that have had houses flooded, poor things, it must be a terrible thing to happen to you.
    All the best,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello John, indeed a lot of rain this season, and to bad that it keeps you indoors. Here it also rains a lot but in between also sunney days. I am glad with the rain specialy after two summers that were to dry and the groundwater level was so low that streams dried up when rain was not falling. The plants and animals had a big struglle because of that. Because you can not go outside we do get to see these fantastic photo's you took over the year. My favoriet ones are number 1 and two. All the best.
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Roos,
    Its so true, are we ever happy with the weather, its was certainly much too hot in the summer and wildlife struggled as did the water levels both in the aquafers and streams, unfortunately we have had too much rain and many people have had houses flooded. We are really making a mess of the weather with out activities.
    At leas t I managed a post with some old images.
    All the best,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, John, your flight shots are magnificent, but the header is the star of the show this time around. Not only are these baby owls adorable, guaranteed to tug at your heart strings, but they represent the culmination of all that you do for Barn Owls, for which the ornithological community the world over owes you a great vote of thanks. All the best from Miriam and me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi David and Miriam.
    At least I managed a post and so pleased you have enjoyed your visit, it is so kind of you to mention my flight
    shots, They are something I really enjoy taking, but the young Owls have been such a delight to Veg and me and it's amazing how much time they take up but it's worth every second to finish up with the end result.
    Thank you both,
    All the best,
    John and Veg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Richard,
    it is also always very dirty and ant again. we also suffer from this in the Netherlands.
    The photos you show now are really beautiful photos. Not bad to show them again because seeing these beautiful birds makes me enjoy again :-)

    Think carefully about yourself and be careful.
    Dear greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Helma,
    The weather is all over the place world wide, with the excessive heat in Australia and the fires to us with all the rain. we must get a break from it soon but our forecast is for more rain for tOmorrow,lets hope the cameras don't get bored in waiting for use!!!
    All the best
    John

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos John. I can see why these are some of your favorites. Always love the wildlife you capture and the WWII plan must have been an impressive sight. All the best and enjoy your weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Denise,
    It was not an easy task putting together this post, I always enjoy getting flight shots but I had to have some variation in images. The Lancaster is a regular visitor to the reservoir as the Captain lives in the next village.
    Hope you had a good weekend and your work at home is complete.
    All the best,
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, I wanted to come back and thank you for the Christmas Wishes. Mine are a little late but still heartfelt, Happy Christmas and A Very Happy New Year. Hope that rain has slowed down some and that the temperatures are kind. It also gives me a chance to revisit all these lovely photos of yours, and that is always a treat :) All the best to you and yours x

      Delete
    2. Hi Denise,
      Thank you for the second visit and the Christmas wishes, qse have had a very quiet time with my wife being not very well, the weather has not improved much either, still getting rain but really mild for the time of year, so pleased you enjoyed the visit.
      All the best and a Happy New Year.
      John

      Delete
  11. Hi John
    Beautiful birds of prey, and Red Kited is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bob.
    My favourite as well, very fond of Red Kites, just wish the weather would improve so I could get out with the cameras.
    All the best,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi John!!! Beautiful pics...Merry Christmas and love wishes for 2020..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ana,
    Just wish the weather would improve in the UK and I could get out with the cameras.
    Hope you have a Merry Christmas and a wonderful 2020
    All the best,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy new year!!! All the best for 2020

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi John, just came over to wish you and your dear family A Very Happy and Healthy New Year! I do hope your wife is feeling much better by now. A big hug to both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi John.
    I wish you and your wife a very good year. A lot of pictures and meeting with wildlife.
    Friendship

    ReplyDelete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!