Translate

Tuesday 24 September 2019

MY LAST OSPREY DUTY {NEARLY} AND AN UPDATE ON THE BARN OWLS.


This is a post that was to be have been posted over three weeks ago but the Barn Owl activities unfortunately took over.



It's that time of the year again where the Ospreys all fly South,{ lucky birds.} so I turned up for my last duty ready to wish the adults well and I would see them again next year, the Juveniles having already departed previously only to find that by the time I arrived the birds had not been seen at all that morning so the hide was to be closed, it's not fair to let the public pay to see the adults that have gone.



I will give a quick update of the Osprey year.
31 adult Osprey returned to Rutland Water.
10 breeding pairs.
23 young Osprey fledged.
What a wonderful season.







Adult female on the T post with 057 {F} on the nest.

057 migrated on the 23rd of August with the adult female leaving with 33 on the 2nd of September




054 {F} sat to the left and 056 {M} with outstretched wing to the right.

054 {F} migrated on the 19th of August with 056 {M} away on the 24th of August.
055 not on an image as he hiding round the back of a tree migrated on the 23rd of August.




SO WITH NO OSPREY TO MONITOR I HAD A VISIT TO THE EGLETON RESERVE.

I drove back from Lyndon to Egleton for a walk around the reserve not expecting to see much as birds are leaving and heading South, but the birds to arrive and over Winter are still much farther North.
It was a lovely afternoon for a walk around but not much to see.
It gave me the opportunity to use the new camera in daylight and start to get topside of  my settings, which are so different to the previous camera. 




Adult Moorhen, Grebe hide.

A long distance image for a trial shot of just over 100 metres.



Little Egret, Shoveler Hide.

When I arrived in the hide I had seven Little Egrets around but none ventured very close. 



Great White Egret, Shoveler Hide.

Again a trial image, this bird was just over 200 metres away. 



Canada Goose, Shoveler Hide.

This bird decided to take flight, I could have done with a higher ISO.







Grey Heron, Buzzard Hide.

Closest bird seen, always difficult to take an image of a Heron. 



Drake Mallard, Grebe Hide.

These bird are going well into eclipse and sat on this little island about 150 metres away. 



A QUICK VISIT TO EYEBROOK RESERVOIR.

On my arrival I noticed a considerable number of people  on the bridge so I had to drive up and investigate. On arrival I was informed that we had a very rare Damselfly, six of them in total, this being a Willow Emerald Damselfly, the first ever sighting in Leicestershire and Rutland. I unfortunately did not have the best of kit with me for getting any decent images, so it had to be a 600mm lens hung over the side of the bridge and hope for the best.







Willow Emerald Damselfly, Inlet Bridge Eyebrook Reservoir.

Most of the time they were too close for the lens to focus, everybody else wanted them to come closer, I had to wait for them to go away so as to get a focus. This damselfly appears to be expanding its range at a really phenomenal rate. 
  






I then went around to my normal spot to sit and have my lunch, suddenly I heard a familiar sound, the cob went onto the floor of the car, I shot out the car with the camera, I had not set up the tripod so it was hand hold and hope for the best.






Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, Avro Lancaster Bomber PA474.

This aircraft rolled off the production line on the 31st of May 1945 and joined the flight in 1957 upon its formation, one of only two surviving Lancasters that are licenced to fly, the other being in Canada. This aircraft is based and maintained at RAF Coningsby.




Only upon working on the images did I notice one of the flight crew sat in the centre gun turret.




Buzzard again whilst having my lunch.

I had hardly got back into the car after seeing the Lancaster when this bird suddenly appeared,  so it was cob on the floor again and still without the tripod get some quick images.








Little Owl Site No. 6. On the way home.

At long last a Little Owl to get an Image from, I have seen one other this year but that was flying and I was driving .




UPDATE ON THE BARN OWLS.

All appears still to be going to plan and the Owlets are still growing at a good rate. Unfortunately the adults are not appearing any earlier and with the darker evenings it's  becoming increasingly difficult to get images. However the Owlets are starting to show in the doorway but when it's virtually dark.
Again all the images are taken at ISO 102,400.





Male Barn Owl leaving the large box.

The female had departed about 10 minutes earlier and I missed her, having a snooze in the hide??




Female leaving the Large box.

This time I was alert and she appeared from the box I expected her to come out from, again about 10 minutes before the male.




Female flying past the big box.

I had the CCTV cameras on in the small box where the Owlets are in residence late in the afternoon and we had no sign of the adult female, so I went out early and sat with the camera set on the exit to the  large box. However she did the dirty on me and came out of the small box and flew passed the entrance to the large box I had the camera fixed upon when it was virtually dark. Very poor image but trying for the sympathy vote. ISO 102400 so no chance of freezing the wings


Owlet showing in the entrance to the small box.

I was having difficulty in seeing this youngster due to the dark. It Was a case of press the remote button and hope for the best.



Thank you for your visit, I hope you have enjoyed as much as I did in the getting of the images.
Still a steep learning curve with the new camera.
Iapologse I must apologise for not visiting other blogs and leaving comments but I have only just got out of hospital  after having a very mild stroke which I must take as a warning










7 comments:

  1. Hello John
    I think it is great news that no fewer than 31 returned to Russia and that there were 10 breeding pairs. The fact that 23 jinge visa counts have been counted is also a wonderful result.

    Your visit to EGLETON RESERVE has also brought beautiful photos. The grtoe and little egret and also the blue heron. You can also photograph the ducks and geese nicely.

    Your visit to EYEBROOK RESERVOIR has a very nice kite, The wood armor jufer is great but your big kites are even more beautiful hahahaha ... I see the gun turret with the crew.

    Your photos of the buzzard, little owl and barn owl are great to see again.

    Enjoy a nice weekend and be careful.
    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi elkma,
    my reply will have to be short as I am finding it difficult using the keyboard,
    Thank you for the visit and hopefully it won't be long before eIa m back in full action
    All the best John





    Iam back in full actiot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ~HiHelma
      My reply will have to be short a s I'm finding it difficult using the keyboard Thank you for the visit and hopefully it wont be long before'I'm back in action.
      All the best John

      Delete
  3. No reply needed here John, just wanted you to know I love your latest photos. Take good care of yourself and all the best, Denise x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello John: Sorry to hear of your health issues. Get well soon. Taking care of yourself is the most important thing right now. All our very best, David and Miriam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahora se empiezan a ver las primeras águilas pescadoras que pasaran el invierno en el norte de España, a ver si tenemos suerte y vemos alguna de las tuyas. Buen reportaje amigo mío, un fuerte abrazo desde España. Mejórate y todo lo mejor!!!

    ReplyDelete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!