Translate

Saturday 25 May 2019

AND WE HAVE FOUR OSPREY CHICKS.



Yes after the long wait the fourth Manto Bay egg has hatched and all four chicks appear fit and healthy. Things will start to get much busier  for the male as these chicks grow but he has also done his fair share of incubation duties. Luckily he's a very good fisherman so I cannot see the young going hungry and he also is good at feeding the young which he has been doing his fair share of.

I had another Osprey duty on Thursday the 16th and this again turned out to be a busy afternoon with the chicks starting to hatch and signs of the adults feeding the young, and with having the television in the hide gives  that extra interest for the visitors. Again we had a mixture of people that had visited previously and also first time visitors, they are always amazed to see the birds and always ask the most questions, this afternoon mostly on the migration route and as to why the birds migrate, I began to wish we had Dr. Tim in the hide to give the answers.

So after another interesting and enjoyable afternoon, I departed for home and my tea.








Buzzard, Our garden.

Having been out on my tractor cutting the grass and seeing several Buzzard, I had a few minutes out in the garden with the camera and after a short time this bird circled over the garden,unfortunately not as low  as some of the others earlier.
 







Robin, Our garden.

The bird sitting on the side of the Barn Owl feeding station I use when the weather is really severe just to help the bird through the worst of the Winter .

OSPREY DUTY.






Female Osprey sitting on the three young and the last egg.

This is the view I had when taking over for my duty of the female. 





The Male however was seeing off a couple of intruder Osprey. 



He then returned to the T post and kept an eye on the nest.



He then flew across to the nest. 



And made sure all was in order and landed next to the female, its going to get a lot busier for you young man in the weeks ahead. 



The after a short time he flew down to his favourite perch. 



And here he remained until the end of duty. 



Female feeding the three hatched young, the egg is out of sight.Taken from the screen in the hide, never that successful or clear.



Swan sitting on nest.

This is the nest the Canada Geese were sitting on two weeks previous, if successful it will be in a perfect position to watch from the hide. 





Male Shelduck, Waderscrape Hide.

This bird suddenly appeared and flew past the hide, so it was grab the camera and see what I could get.






Not the best of images but I kept it in due to the feathering. 





 A VISIT TO CALKE ABBEY.

With  the lighter evenings I decided to have an evening visit to Calke, to hopefully see some of this years young Red Deer and also to have a visit for the Badgers.

Unfortunately on arrival no Red Deer or any Deer were visible anywhere, so after a quick visit into the bird hide I got on my way across the fields and into the wooded area where the setts are situated to sit it out and wait for any Badger activity, I did not expect to see any youngsters but what I hadn't realised was that the bracken has hardly started to grow so where last year we were watching them moving around in the Bracken.
21st May.   





Juvenile Grey Squirrel, Bird Hide.

Very few birds were showing but this young squirrel was trying his hardest to get onto the feeders only to be bullied away by two adults. 




Badger Area.

This is the area where last year we saw numerous Badgers, as you can see the bracken is only just showing so this in some respects helps. 



Slope where the Badgers appear.

This slope appearing from the top right is where we see the Badgers when the first appear, I saw six Badgers appear but they turned away into the trees to the left and never came out into the open. They started to appear at 19.55 hrs.



Badger towards the top of the slope away from the setts.


I had set my camera on its tripod on the opposite side of the area to where the Badgers appear. Like a fool I had left my sweater in the car and a cool wind had got up so I took some cover by tucking myself in behind a large Oak tree. I suddenly heard some noise behind the tree and so very slowly I peered around the tree, not more than 5 metres away was a Badger, but my camera was behind me, so after a slow retreat, the camera was moved but the Badger had heard me but no panic, it just steadily walked  away but then went behind a clump of trees and then appeared eventually about 70 metres away from me so it was a case of press the button and hope for the best, I was shooting at ISO 5000 and really could have done with being slightly higher.
  



I then saw another but this one was just trotting along at a steady pace. I intend when possible to return on a weekly basis and hopefully soon the young Badgers will be out and about earlier and with a few peanuts I will be able to tempt them that bit closer.




AN AFTERNOON AT EYEBROOK.

I think this has been the quietest afternoon bird wise I have ever had at the Reservoir. The Male  Osprey spent the whole afternoon at the nest site and I only saw one Red Kite and that was a considerable distance away, However in the morning the local farmer had been cutting the hay in a field on the opposite side of the reservoir and a friend I spoke with told me that about 10 birds circling and watching for any food available.
23rd May.








Please click on the read more to get the remainder of the post
Common Tern, Over the Tern Rafts.

These birds are nearly as difficult to get an image from as the Swallows with the diving and changes in direction.






But I managed these three images between dives and curses by me.











Canada Geese, at the top end of the Reservoir.
This pair flew down the inlet brook and out into the main water are so I grabbed a quick image whilst in the top Bunker hide.

  
Common Blue Butterfly, Top Bunker Hide.

The first time I have ever seen a Common blue at Eyebrook and not using an ideal lens for macro work in the 600mm but it worked reasonably well with the Butterfly being about 10 metres away.




Juvenile Jack, on the bridge parapet over the inlet brook.

I had a drive around the far side of the reservoir to see if the Male Osprey was in the dead tree and on the way back I suddenly noticed this bird on the bridge, so it was a quick turn of the wheel and try for a hand held shot out of the window. I was however so close I was unable to get all the bird in so it was a quick shot, luckily I did go to reverse  as the bird flew as soon as I had taken the image. Juveniles have the blue colouring to the eye.



A VISIT TO REG AND JILL TO SEE THE TAWNY OWL.

My pal Reg phoned late morning {the 25th} to say one of his Tawny Owls was sitting in the tree keeping an eye on the box with the Owlets in, this could have been the female having got fed up with the young pestering for food making her decide to have a break on the outside of the box, I have asked Reg to send an image to Simon of the Hawk and Owl trust to see if he can tell us. So on the way to the Rugby Club I called in for a visit with the bird which was an absolute delight for me





Tawny Owl, Reg and Jill garden.

A really beautiful bird but look at the Talons, I can understand why Simon put goggles on when checking in the box to see if they had any Owlets.









The bird didn't appear bothered at all whilst we stood under the tree to get some images,




Thank for your visit, I hope you have enjoyed it as much as I did in the getting of the images,


24 comments:

  1. Hello John
    how good to read that the fourth egg hatched :-)))))
    The photos of the flying buzzard in your garden are also very successful. And also the robin :-)
    You show a beautiful series of osprey and the parents will be busy feeding the young. The swan is just like a queen on her throne hihi .... and you have been able to photograph the flying shelduck.

    And ohhhhh .... that gray squirrel !!! What a beauty! And you were able to photograph badgers again. They are shy animals and therefore a compliment :-) You have already managed to perpetuate fish thieves and geese. The blue butterfly is very beautiful.

    Ohhhhhh .... I am jealous of the beautiful picture of the Tawny Owl !! So beautiful and so cool to see. You immediately created a beautiful header above your blog :-)
    Beautiful.

    I wish you a very nice new week.
    Kind regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helma,
    Yes its wonderful news and hopefully the Osprey will manage to raise all four.
    The Buzzard we see on a regular basis so I must try again and hope it gets lower.
    The Osprey parents are going to become very busy with these hungry little beaks.
    Seeing the Badgers was a wonderful evening and intend to go as often as I can manage, they are such fun to watch and with some peanuts to tempt them I'm sure I will get them closer.
    And yes the Tawny, what a bird and hopefully in the next week or two I will get some images of the young that are at the moment in the box.

    Thank you for the visit and you have a good week.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photography, the Tawny Owl is superb. The Buzzard in flight is so close, and another so close is the Shelduck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,
      So pleased you enjoyed the Tawny, I'm hoping to get some images of the young that are in the box that this adult was watching. I must admit the Shelduck are a favourite, they are such a super bird to get images from in flight.
      All the best, John

      Delete
  4. Hi John!!!... I love the Brown Tawny Owl in your cover blog.. So beautiful.. :-)))
    Nice pics of Osprey.. Fantastic bird of prey.. And the badger really cute..
    have a nice week.. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ana,
    The Tawny is such a striking owl but has to be watched, they have a tendency if the take exception to you to go for your eyes, they are not so friendly as the Barn Owls.
    The Badgers will I think take up some of my time this summer, I must get some closer images, last year they came so close the lens would not focus, so now's the time to get them close before the bracken grow too much.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been a busy man, John, but I am sure that your activities are the very definition of being busy meaning being happy. What a range of enjoyable experiences! I always think that terns look as though some very skilled choreographer has orchestrated their flight and your photographs convey all that grace and beauty. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Both,
      Yes I have been very happy with some superb visits and viewings, the Osprey are all doing very well, so good to see the Badgers and then to top it with the Tawny Owl, I cannot believe its possible to top this.
      I as you have seen enjoy getting flight shots and the Terns most certainly take you to the limit, but as you say they are so beautiful in flight.
      All the best to you both,
      John

      Delete
  7. Hello John, amazing four chicks. Normal is three so this is outstanding. Hope all four of them will grow up to be strong and healthy birds. The Badger is also some amazing animal. You are so Lucky to have seen it.
    Take Care,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Roos,
    Yes and all four appear to be very healthy and getting stronger by the day, I looked earlier and three were looking over the edge of the nest. The male is also feeding the youngster to give the female a rest.
    I intend to visit the Badgers through the summer and hopefully in the next week or two I will see some youngsters.
    You take car, all the best,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh John, your header photo of the owl is absolutely stunning!!! Loved the badger, never seen one in real life. and many more in your posts. Such a pleasure to look at them and see ever detail. Thank you and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise,
      and sorry for the late reply I unfortunately have got a nasty chest infection and feel somewhat rough.
      The Tawny header is the best I have managed to date and I'm waiting for a call from my friend to say the young are out on the front of the box, that will be something.
      When I feel better I will re visit the Badgers and hope for some super images, I will go armed with peanuts and peanut butter, hopefully this will slow them down.
      All the best, John

      Delete
    2. So sorry to hear that John. Please take good care of yourself, these things take a long time to get rid of. Don't go out until your are completely well. Sorry to sound so bossy but I know the pull of the Tawny owl chicks(?) would be strong. They would be for me :) Hail and hearty recovery to you.

      Delete
    3. Hi Denise,
      and thank you, my wife is making sure I don't overdo it, of which I have no option, the mind is willing but the body is definitely not. Even the pull of the Tawny would have to be ignores.
      Thank you for the concern.
      John

      Delete
    4. Feel better real soon John :)

      Delete
    5. Hi Denise,
      I am up and fighting fit, unfortunately the weather over in England is awful, very heavy rain and floods so not much chance of getting any decent images.
      Thank you for the concern.
      John

      Delete
    6. Happy to hear you are doing well, and now we have to get the weather back to a decent state. Same over here. We have been getting a lot of rain and thunderstorms but yesterday was lovely and we met up with a blogging friend and her husband. I was very happy the weather cooperated. Have a great weekend John :)

      Delete
    7. Hi Denise,
      Yes thank you I am feeling excellent and just hope for some decent weather, we have a reasonable forecast for tomorrow but then in the evening they forecast heavy thunderstorms.
      Nice for you to meet up with a blogging friend and the weather co-operated.
      All the best,
      John

      Delete
  10. I came back just to look at your header. That photograph leaves me gobsmacked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,
      Thank you this is praise indeed, I must admit to being pleased with it myself. I look forward to seeing the young out the box.
      All the best, John

      Delete
  11. Un reportaje extraordinario, la guinda del pastel es el Meles meles a plena luz del día, gran trabajo. Enhorabuena amigo John, un fuerte abrazo desde España.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hola German,
    Tuve tanta suerte con el Tawny Owl, que estaba sentado en el arbol mirando la caj nido que tiene dos Tawnies jovenes, los estoy esperando a que decidan aparecer y volvere a visitarlos.
    El clima en Gran Bretana es horrible en este momento, ast que espero que las aves puedan esperar unos dias.
    Todo lo mejor y un abrazo desde Gran Bretana.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello.
    Oh oh, I think I missed this article!
    I love to see the birds of prey circling the tractor! You took some great pictures!
    I also like the shelduck that flies by!
    It's true that it's fantastic to see the little ospreys on a screen in the birdhide. It's fascinating.
    Congratulations on the owl. You must be proud!
    I hope you and your wife are fine.
    Friendship

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Nathalie,
    We all miss some occasionally, but no harm done.
    It was good to see the Buzzards, they are very striking birds.
    The young Osprey are doing very well despite the awful weather, we are having in England, very heavy rain and floods.
    The Tawny owl was so fortunate and if we get a reasonable evening, I intend to go back with my hide and see if I can see the young coming out of the box.
    Thank you for the visit, all the best
    John

    ReplyDelete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!