Translate

Saturday 11 May 2019

A VERY - VERY WET OSPREY DUTY.
FOLLOWED BY A RAINY AFTERNOON AT EYEBROOK.



I arrived for my turn on duty knowing that Shelagh was unable to attend due to other commitments but as far as we knew, Hilary was still due to turn up. However I finished up on a singleton shift.

Having walked down to Waderscrape Hide in the dry, carrying my trusty umbrella just in case and carrying the camera in the back pack.

I had only been in the hide for a few minutes and it started to rain and boy did it rain, the gent who I took over from had to wait about half an hour  before leaving, but to my surprise I had a very busy afternoon with numerous people arriving, one couple on arrival said they thought the centre should have supplied life jackets, they were soaked.

We had a couple from China, the gent in the morning had some people from Australia all arriving to see the Osprey.

The rain was making it very difficult to use the scopes through the large closed windows with the water running down the glass so in the end I opened  one of the windows and let the rain run in, at least the visitors could then make out the birds.

Upon the completion of my shift it stopped raining so I walked back to the car park carrying my umbrella again, I could have left it in the car, but then it would have rained on me.

Addition to post, two eggs have hatched at Manton Bay on the 11th of May.







Male Osprey 33/11. Waderscrape Hide.

Here sitting on one of his favourite spots along the shore line to the left of the nest, the bird is about 350 metres away from the hide This is where he sat upon my arrival in the hide.



 Female Osprey, Waderscrape Hide.

She spent the first half an hour incubating the four precious eggs.
  



The Male then moved up to the right of the nest and settled on a fallen tree. 



He then flew to the nest and took over the incubation duties to give the female a rest. 



She then immediately flew down the bay and landed on the branch that the male had been on when I arrived.





She then had a quick fly around the bay, and flew back to the nest and landed. 




The male has ducked down out of view,  she then flew out into the bay .



And had a quick bathe, I would have thought the rain would have given her a good shower. 



 Starting to come out of the water.



Virtually clear. 



Clear and away for a quick flight around the bay. 



A fly past of the nest with 33 keeping an eye on her. 



She then landed on the T post to the left of the nest, and that's where she remained until the end of my shift.




Canada Goose, Waderscrape Hide.

Initially we just had this single goose arrive and leave the water.




Canada Geese, Waderscrape Hide.

We then gained another bird and they appear to have the start of a nest to the front of the hide, it will be wonderful if this happens and we can watch them with the young. I really find it impossible to sex these birds, they are totally the same to look at. 







Robin, Our Garden.

When ever I'm out in the garden, I invariably have a Robin with me, today I was out re-seeding some areas that suffered during last summers weather and it came within about 600mm of me, I must take some Hobnob biscuits out with me and see if I can tempt this one to feed from my hand,







A RAINY AFTERNOON AT EYEBROOK.

Even though the forecast was not very good, I decided to still have a quick visit to Eyebrook Reservoir, unfortunately not the best of decisions but it was enjoyable and I saw a few birds that braved the rain.
The male Osprey was about but not fishing so did not get that close, I had to chase him this time.





Male Osprey, 03/09.

I had parked in my normal spot opposite Stoke Dry village and whilst looking about through the rain I spotted something white in a tree in the fields on the far side of the water, { after checking on Google Earth I found this was in excess of 900 metres away} so after a quick drive around the top of the reservoir I managed to find the Osprey in the dead tree. Even after the drive around the bird was still 360 metres away and the camera was really struggling to focus on the bird. I managed some good sharpish branch images however.



Female Osprey, Site 'O'.

I had a quick drive round to the gateway from which the nest can be seen and sure enough the female was sitting on her eggs. 



Common Tern, Tern Raft.
These birds are still increasing in number which is good to see, a gent I see on a regular basis says he had a visit out to the rafts and one raft appears to have Black head-headed gulls in residence, but the other raft has at least 20 nests.



 Black-headed Gull, Opposite Stoke Dry village.

Numerous of these gulls about and much easier to get an
image of than the Terns.



 Swallow, Opposite Stoke Dry Village.

Numerous Swallows, Swifts and House Martins about so I tried to get some flight shots, I lost count of the attempts to get a reasonable image, they are even worse than the Terns in changing direction and swooping about. I would estimate I took in excess of 150 image attempts of the birds and these two are the only average ones.
Must try harder next time.
  






Robins Nest, in my Farmer friends garage.

I visited my friends on Wednesday afternoon and was greeted by Margaret with come and see what we have got in the garage. This old coat was hung on the wall and you can see the bits of straw sticking out of the pocket, just below the top of pocket line sits the Robin. We did not go any closer so as not to disturb the bird but also this was the closest I could get to get the lens to focus.



Thank you for your visit, I hope you have enjoyed it as much as I did in the getting of the images, even if it did rain a considerable amount.


It appears we have probably lost our Barn Owls to incursions by a pair of Kestrels, I am seeing no signs of the Barn Owls or Kestrels so as to what is going on I'm not sure. I will keep you all updated.

Some good news after that, the Tawny Owl I got some image from last Autumn and then a box was erected by the Hawk and Owl Trust earlier this year and the bird took up residence immediately. Simon from the Trust called by to see Reg and Jill and upon the opening of the box found a very unhappy female Tawny with two Owlets, absolutely brilliant news so watch this space for when they start to appear. 


.

20 comments:

  1. I love Osprey, such a beautiful bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,
      Yes they are a beautiful and remarkable bird that never fails to surprise me.
      All the best, John

      Delete
  2. what a dive!
    Everything is going well for the ospreys, very well.
    Have a good evening John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nathalie,
      Yes everything is going very well with the Ospreys and the two chicks.
      You have a good evening also.
      All the best, John

      Delete
  3. Hello John,
    Such a pity you lost the Barn Owls because of the Kestrels incursions, but at least the Ospreys are doing well. Interesting series although it must be a bit frustrating to watch them from such a distance!
    Congratulations for the swallow in flight, never easy to manage!
    All the best and enjoy the new week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Noushka,
      So good to hear from you again after your African tour.
      Yes its a great pity with the Barn Owls but I have not given up hope completely, I will be out in about an hour for a watch.
      Yes it is a little frustrating with the Osprey but this is the only nest that the public can visit so they cannot be allowed any closer, so of the idiots that are about would either be after the eggs or disturbing the adults.
      Thank ref the Swallow, about not easy, nigh on impossible but I have got several months to practice before they head South, so lets see what happens.
      \you have a good week, all the best, John

      Delete
  4. Hi John: As for hand feeding the Robins, I think you need to get your spade and get out in the garden digging up worms. Then you will have to sort them according to size and type, store them all in appropriate containers filled with moist earth, and take them along as a travelling buffet for these little friends. I am sure your success will be guaranteed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Both,
    I will take your advice and give it a try, I have been in the garden most of the day and I have had several around me most of the time.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  6. A delightful post, looked at and read with great interest. Do hope you see those barn owls again. Loved that the bird's nest had been built inside the pocket. Thank you John and have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Denise,
    Its so pleasing when I get comments such as yours and that you find the blog of interest.
    We are crossing everything that the Barn Owls are still about and I will be out very soon with camera and binoculars keeping an eye on the boxes.
    The nest in a pocket is so interesting and I am visiting the farm again tomorrow to see what if anything has happened and try to get some more shots.
    You have a good week, all the best, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall look forward to those John and enjoy the rest of your week. All the best to you too :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Denise,
      I have not managed any images of the nest not wanting to disturb the Robin, but Margaret had a look in the nest when the bird flew out and she's sitting on three eggs,
      All the best, John

      Delete
  8. Hello John, rain so much nescessery for nature but when on duty it is not the best conditions for watching over the Ospreys. Glad they are doing fine. That Robin in the pocket of the coat is fantastic. Did the youngsters fledge already?
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Roos,
    Yes to be truthful the rain was welcome to me, not just for nature but also our garden needed it. It was however far from perfect weather for watching the birds.
    The Ospreys are doing remarkably well and the fourth chick hatched during last night so hopefully they can raise them all.
    The Robin is wonderful and she is sitting on eggs so I will try for some more images once we can hear the chicks.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello John
    what a pity that it rained so much that day and people were soaked. Seeing the viasarend through irrigated windows with a scoop is also not really an option, because then you will not see it clearly and clearly.

    Your photos are made from far away but you can see very well that it is the osprey. Great photos of diving for fish in the water. You could photograph it beautifully :-)

    The Canadian geese are nice up close, just like the robin. From the robin you have made a beautiful headere :-))))))
    You also saw seagulls and swallows. Funny that you have a robin nest in your garage :-)))))

    I wish you a very nice week.
    Dear greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helma,
      It was an awful afternoon to be on duty and I amazed as to how many people visited.
      Yes the birds are in the region of 300 metres away from the hide and where the male landed on the fallen tree is in excess of 350 metres but that where the nest is and we are so grateful just to be able to see.
      these beautiful birds.
      I must admit to having a soft spot for robins, they are such a friendly little bird.
      Thanks for the visit
      All the best,

      John

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Hi,
      Thank you for the visit, I will have a look at your posts.
      All the best,
      John

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!