Translate

Monday 9 November 2020

WHAT AM I GOINGTO DO WITHOUT THE BARN OWLS. 


I am in a bit of a quandary as to how to fill my blog, I am unable to take anymore Barn Owl images due to the dark evenings, I am also awaiting an operation for a new knee but I have not got a date as yet for the operation, but must admit I hope it is sooner more than later, due to this I am unable to walk very far  or stand for any length of time, so venues such as Rutland Water are  a definite non starter, also this damnable virus is not helping anyone.

 I have just found out having spoken to my youngest daughter that she has tested positive for this awful virus and is having to self isolate for seven days and is being looked after by her middle daughter  who has consequently also got the damnable virus so something else for us to worry about. So I have decided that until the new knee is in place I am going to have to be happy with visits to Eyebrook Reservoir , where at least the Winter visitors have started to arrive, a friend has e mailed to say the first female Smew { Red Heads } have arrived,  so hopefully within a couple of weeks the males should be arriving, and he's not sure but he thinks he has seen a Short Eared Owl, so it's not that dire,  and I also have the Red Kites, I can the take images from the comfort of the car and seated, how I would love to go for a good  walk with the camera around Rutland  Water. 

From what I understand from friends in the medical profession, thoughts are that the World is  in for a tough time  through the next few months, lets hope we have a vaccine by the Spring, but from what I can glean from a friend it is proving  to be a difficult task , all we can ask is that we all come out of the other side of this pandemic and live to fight another day.  We in England have gone into another Lockdown for a month so this could be my last post for a few weeks, lets hope I can find something of interest close to home to get my attention, we are not allowed to drive very far and only for shopping or exercise. Mind the weight of my camera And lens, using it is most certainly exercise.








Cormorants on Tern Raft.

The Common Terns will be sunning themselves in Africa so the cormorants have decided to take up residence on the raft, the corner post having been repaired all is ready for the birds to return next Spring.

















Canada Geese Heading Towards the Reservoir. 

These and Greylag geese are about in reasonable numbers all around the reservoir.









Little Egret, Opposite Stoke Dry
 Village.

Having over previous weeks seen several fly past, this time I was at the ready and managed a couple of images.












Lapwing, Upper Bunker Hide.

These all suddenly took to the air  which made me think a Peregrine was about, but they did not go over high which they would if being predated, I had a good search for either a Sparrow Hawk or a Falcon  but nothing could be seen and after a few minutes they all settled down and landed, so a false alarm.





















 


Great Black Backed Gull, Upper Bunker Hide.

Sat on the post  some 200 metres from the hide, a voracious gull with an appetite that includes mammals and other gulls, with a wingspan of 65 inches and weighing in at  four and a half pounds, this is a formidable predator.













A VISIT WITH THE RED KITES.

I actually have had two visits with the kites, on my first visit it was raining and very dull, but fortunately on my second the sun shone for most of the time, whereas on my first visit the sky was full of the birds. on the second visit not so many appeared but still enough to keep your interest, in fact it was still very interesting, with lots of calling during the first visit. After being  in the feeding field for a while my friend Richard arrived for a visit with the birds.








Image taken the previous week in the dull weather and rain showing the Kites starting to congregate.






Red Kite, In the gentleman's garden where fed.

These really are a bird that's worth watching, with the swooping and chasing most entertaining, I set my camera kit up on a tripod and take a chair with me so as to rest my knee.








This bird has white wing tags indicating a Midlands bird, numerous colors are used  to indicate the area of breeding.















Beautiful piecing eye, I think I was well and truly spotted by this bird.












Another that has me in its sights.













A few weeks ago more of the birds were in a state of molt  as this individual.




Thank you for your visit, I hope you have enjoyed it as much as I have in the getting of the images,


14 comments:

  1. Well, John, I am very pleased that you had the good sense to include some CANADA Geese in this post! We are not a warlike or aggressive nation, but it looks like our geese are colonizing the whole world! Sorry to hear about your daughter contracting COVID-19, and I hope that she recovers fully. There seems to be a glimmer of hope regarding a vaccine now and perhaps that will enable us all to resume something like more normal lives. Perhaps too you will get a date soon for the replacement of your gimpy knee and will be back at it at Rutland Water. Life does have its challenges sometimes, doesn't it? All the best to you and Veg. David and Miriam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Both,
      How could I not include the Canada Geese, as you say they are everywhere and taking over. I spoke to my Daughter and Granddaughter this morning and they were both feeling really poorly, but having just spoken to them again , fortunately they feel much improved. It certainly is very good news on the vaccine front and talk is it should be available before Christmas which should give us back our independence and we can start to live again, all I will need after that is the new knee, it most certainly has been a challenging time.
      All the best to you both,
      John and Veg

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear your bad hip, awful pain to have.
    But, you are lucky to have a great pictures , especially the the Little Egret and the Red Kite flying, so close John. See you when things get better, cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bob,
    thank you and hopefully all will soon be better and pain free. if I can have that and a vaccine for this damnable virus all will be well with the world. Would love to go and see the Red Kites but impossible due to lockdown. Looking for suitable subjects on our land but need some brighter weather. Still seeing the Barn Owls but ussualy when cooking the evening meal. Hope to get another post somehow.
    You and your stay safe.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello John
    Pictures to enjoy, especially the flight shots are extra good
    stay healthy
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Frank,
    So pleased you enjoyed your visit, as you have probably realized I ea very much into flight shots.
    You likewise stay safe and healthy
    John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi John,
    I know what you mean, I'm lost as what to do as my garden animals have disappeared. At least you've got something worthwhile to photograph. Take care and stay safe. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mike,
    It is so frustrating when this happens plus lockdown, it is going to be very difficult not to slip out for a few hours and see what's about. The images above were taken on the afternoon pre lockdown.
    At least we have a vaccine on the horizon.
    You likewise take care and stay safe,
    JOHN

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi John... Beautiful and varied pictures... I hope you are well... We are living bad times... Stay safe and be happy... Best regards from Spain...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana,
      I made the best of my time before the UK went into lockdown and managed some reasonable images, very fond of the Red Kites. These are awful dangerous times , lets hope a vaccine becomes available soon and we survive to get on with a normal life again.
      I am keeping very well.
      Hope you are likewise.
      Stay safe and be careful.
      All the best from England
      John

      Delete
  9. I hope you don’t have to wait too long for your knee operation John. We don’t walk as far these days and as you say, with this virus we certainly don’t go too far. I am so sorry to hear about your daughter and granddaughter, and send good thoughts for a very speedy recovery to both. Our nephew came down with it a while ago but thankfully he is okay now and this happened earlier on in the year. We have Thanksgiving coming up on the 26th and we have all decided it better to keep to ourselves this year, so there will be just the two of us next Thursday. Everyone is thankfully being very careful in our family, friends too. Happy to hear that the birds have started arriving at Eyebrook Reservoir. These super photos of yours will sustain us and I will probably be visiting again sometime to look at them again. My wish is for you to stay safe, happy and healthy, with that wish being not only for you but for your dear wife and other loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Denise,
    I hope the wait is not long but at the moment, the private hospitals are overloaded operating on people with life threatening problems for the NHS so as to protect them from the virus, a gammy knee does not fit into 'life threatening'. Thank you for the good thoughts to my daughter and granddaughter, I have spoken to them both this evening and passed them on, and both send there thanks. My granddaughter had o visit the doctors today with a painful ear and she apparently has a perforated eardrum which the doctor said was not uncommon as a side effect of Covid, pleased to read your Nephew has fully recovered, it really an awful times. You and Gregg have a wonderful Thanksgiving, I only wish people were being as sensible in the UK, with all that's being done and said, people are still not taking any notice and our cases are rising at an alarming rate.
    I hope to get a visit to Eyebrook reservoir soon and see some of our Winter Visitors. It is always pleasing to hear that people have enjoyed to visit and see my efforts.
    You and yours please stay safe and well.
    my best wishes,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi John,
    how sad to read that both your daughter and your granddaughter have contracted the virus. It is also a very nasty virus and I really hope that a cure for it will be found very soon!
    Stay safe and healthy. You are waiting for an operation for your knee and you cannot leave home but ... the warbirds are a welcome change and you really have the wonderful place to photograph the red kite !!! I see really elm green from your beautiful flying images of the red kite.
    I hope that your daughter and granddaughter have now been cured of this covid and that you will not have to wait too long for an operation on your knee.
    Greetings, Helma
    Stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helma,
      Thank you for the kind thoughts regarding my daughter and granddaughter, luckily they both appear to be getting much better, it appears we have a vaccine not far off so I have got my sleeve already rolled up. The Red Kite are a super distraction after the Barn Owls, they are such a wonderful subject to catch in flight.
      Hopefully I won't have to wait over long for my new knee but more urgent cases will have to take first use of the operating theatres.
      You stay safe and well
      John

      Delete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!