Translate

Thursday 9 July 2020

AN UPDATE ON THE BARN OWLS AND AN UNSUCCESSFUL VISIT TO  EYEBROOK RESERVOIR


Having been out monitoring the Barn Owls every evening  when its not been raining, we are getting at last a picture as to what is occuring. I have also had the CCTV cameras on in both boxes and our Barn Owl population is as follows. In the smaller box we have a male, and in the large box we have a pair.  The male is roosting on top of the internal entrance baffle and the female is on the floor at the far end of the box. The  turn of events is as follows, the female is the first to leave the box  and returns relatively quickly with a mouse and enters into the box, after about ten minutes the male leaves and normally return within a matter of a few minutes  with a mouse and enters the box, he stays in the box for about ten minutes and then goes away on another hunting trip, the interloper male I have seen I estimate six times, he leaves his box and goes directly to the large box and enters, he stays for about five minutes before emerging  and flying away, I have never seen him return  for a second visit but how long must I stay out??. I was talking with my birding pal Rhys yesterday and we are both of the same opinion, the interloper male is disturbing the female, normally a female would allow the male to feed her, his job is to get her into breeding condition to produce eggs, she should not need to go out and hunt for herself, the male is doing everything he should be, we obviously have a good supply of food how quickly he returns when out hunting, which is another marker if they are going to breed , the female should not be hunting, somehow the equilibrium of the pair has been disturbed, but what can we do. My schedule 1 licence allows for the monitoring and ringing of Barn Owls, I can not go and disturb the interloper male, I have just got to let nature take its course, its far wiser in these matters than me, and at least the interloper has a good dry and warm box in all this awful weather we have been experiencing lately. 







Our Box set up.




Male Barn Owl, Large box.

First sighting of him this evening. 21.15 hrs.







A quick look about to see the coast is clear. 



Then out onto the front but facing the smaller box. 









Then a quick about turn and I thought he was away hunting. 





But we stood a little longer taking in the evening air and views .









Another quick look about.






And back into the box for about ten minutes. 





Then he r e emerges. 21.35 hrs


Walks to the end of the front and up onto his favourite post.



He ponders the nights work ahead of him.



Stands on one leg and looks about. 



Watches a Pigeon fly past.



Then has a little snooze before going hunting 21.55 hrs.




I then notice movement on the front of the smaller box as the interloper emerges. 





Flies across and enters the large box and stays inside for about five minutes before coming out ang going away hunting. 




Female Barn Owl.


 her flying in from my left and land on the front of the small box with a mouse, she then flew to the large box and went in.



The female again on anther evening the only good thing is with her being about earlier, no high ISO.
The female is not heavily flecked as the male and ha a paler look her, she is also larger than the male.





Entering the large box at speed with her mouse.



ANOTHER VISIT TO EYEBROOK RESERVOIR.

My visit was again more for the Osprey but he did not appear for me, he apparently had several fishing trips in the morning but whilst I was about he didn't show, as hard as I look I cannot  as yet find his roosting tree, this male is not like the Manton Bay  male{33{11}, he is very involved with both incubating and the feeding, 03 just turns up and drops the fish and is then away and leaves the female to get on with it.  For the last  two years he has spent most of his time in a dead tree on the far side of the reservoir, this year he could be staying closer  to the nest site. So with no Osprey images I have got some from previous years and pit them on this blog, more for my satisfaction, hopefully I eill get to see him soon.



CommonTern Raft .

This week with the wind direction having changed, the adults were feeding on the far side of the water so no reasonable images possible.


Cormorant,

This bird was flying towards the Dam on the far side of th water, some 400 metres away.



Mute Swans with cygnets.
I have never seen before a female with a cygnet having a lazy ride. several times with Great Crested Grebes with all the young on the back. 




Mute Swan with Cygnets.
This female with larger young I saw on my previous visit, doesn't appear to have one having a piggy back. 

Black Headed Gull,

These birds were feeding closer where the Terns were feeding previously.



Buzzard.
Took this image out the car window having to hand hold this very heavy lens. 



 Osprey 03/09, Male from site O.

These are some unused images from last year Just for me to look at.















You can just read his rblue ring, his missing wing feather is due to the fact Osprey have a continuous molt, it is never a good time for them to molt due to the migration.



Thank you for your visit, I hope you have enjoyed it as much as i did in the getting of the images.






21 comments:

  1. Interesting tale of the barn owls, one can't interfere as you say, let nature take its course. Nice post full of interest. Stay safe. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike,
      To be truthful its more like one of the soaps on television. but I must just monitor and let nature take its course, glad you enjoyed the visit.
      You stay safe and well.
      John

      Delete
  2. I am of the opinion that you are absolutely correct, John, as it relates to the Barn Owls. Careful observation is what is required not interference in what is going on between these three individuals. It will be of great interest to see what the final outcome is. Our weather here is the opposite of yours. Today is 34 degrees with high humidity. Quite horrible! Stay well and keep watching those owls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David,
    Glad you agree with our decision, these birds are so precious and need to be left to there own devices. I obviously will continue to monitor the three and I also will interested in the outcome. We have had three days of rain so monitoring taken place, hopefully it starts to improve tomorrow, send us some of your weather without the humidity.
    You both stay safe and well, I definitely will watch the owls.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marzę, by móc fotografować płomykówkę. Może będę miała więcej szczęścia teraz, bo jadę tam, gdzie ona jest.
    Gratuluję obserwacji!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ludmilla
    Thank you for the comment, we are so lucky having these beautiful birds so close to our house, I wish you luck in getting some images of the Barn Owls and look forward to seeing them.
    You stay safe and well
    John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Barn Owl images John, and the Osprey, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bob,
    When you have the birds so close to home, just have to go owling nost nights.
    Just hope the Osprey turn up this week.
    You stray safe
    John

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello John
    if you let nature have a free hand or you intervene, I think everyone who makes nature and animal pictures know nature can be very beautiful but it also has its hard side .. you made the right decision exactly as I would have done it, great pictures
    Regards Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank,
      Its good for me that people agree with my decision, nature can as you say be very hard, and for me to disturb the second male would up root him from a safe and dry box, so I will still monitor and let see what happens.
      Thank you again my friend.
      You stay safe
      John

      Delete
  9. Hello John, to bad you could not find the roosting tree where the Osprey sits. Also no photos of him fishing but the photos of last year are just as wonderful. Great flight photos indeed. The Barn Owls are stunning and you ar so lucky you can obeserve them and take photos at the same time. I am a bit jalous.
    The Swans are so nice with all those little ones. Beautyful.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roos,
      I hope to go back and look for him tomorrow so fingers crossed, I really want to try and get some images with the big lens.
      We are so fortunate with the Barn Owls, so many people want to visit but I have to bo se careful, only my name is on the licence, I mostly use Covid as the excuse. I will carry on monitoring all as instructed and see at to what happens. I had never seen a female Mute Swan carrying a young on her back before just wish they had been closer.
      You and yours stay safe,
      John

      Delete
  10. Always a delight to see all your birds. I especially love the owls as I have only seen them a handful of times. Thank you John and I wish you good health and happiness always :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi denise and another belated Happy Birthday, its always gratifying to be told people have enjoyed the visit, we are so lucky with the Barn Owls, I will be ot with them for a couple of hours this evening.
    You both stay safe,
    and the ame wish to you
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again John and I will look forward to those photos :) I wish you the same my friend.

      Delete
    2. Hi Denise,
      Thank you for another visit, again we are o lucky having these birds on out land and to be able to observe them.

      I am working on my next set of images and another surprise is happening??
      Stay safe, it sounds bad in the USA at the moment
      John

      Delete
  12. Hello, John.
    Fabulous time with that "beautiful white lady". She gave you a nice present with that mouse.
    I showed your first picture to Jean Claude, he would like to try to make a box at our place.
    Excellent idea the plexiglass around the platform for the terns, the predators are blocked!
    Osprey is wonderful!!
    Be well.
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Nathalie,
    She certainly gave me a present, and stood whilst I got an image.
    If you go onto the Barn Owl Trust site, which is the fourth site down on my favourite site above, you will find drawings for the building of a box,good luck with the project and hope to see the results of your efforts.
    I have been watching the Terns this afternoon, always so busy.
    You both take care and stay safe.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow me ha encantado ver a las lechuzas fuera de la caja nido, sobre todo la foto entrando con el ratón. La pareja de Tyto alba que yo controlo, han sacado a siete pollos adelante este verano, un éxito!!! Me ha gustado mucho tu reportaje John, enhorabuena!!! Un fuerte abrazo desde el norte de España.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hola German,
    Es muy agradable tener a las lechuzas en el jardin, tambien es una buena noticia tuyas tambien lo estan haciendo tan bien, debes publicarlas le quedas sequro y bueno un fuerte abrazo del centro de Iglaterra.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi John,
    your pictures of the barn owls are great again, but that's also because I love owls so much. I understand from this psot that there is indeed a second male but that also goes into the box with the female !! Very special and I hope it all ends well.

    The photos of the osprey are spectacular in flight. so beautifully clear and the details are very beautiful. Wonderful to see.
    Buzzard, swans and cormorant may also be there :-))))))

    With best regards,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!