Translate

Monday 29 June 2020

AT LAST A TRIP OUT, I HAVE A REPRIEVE BUT KEEPING AWAY  FROM PEOPLE, AND AN UPDATE ON THE BARN OWLS.

I decided to have trip out on Thursday the 25 th of June, with a wish to see an Osprey , Eyebrook Reservoir with its nest site being within a few miles being favourite, I decided  against Rutland Water as I felt sure more people would be visiting, so I got underway and arrived for about 13.00 hrs, I had a quick drive around the Reservoir and saw an Osprey over the area near the dam but too far away for a decent image so I headed for my usual parking spot opposite Stoke Dry and settled for my lunch on the basis when the male returned to his nest, he should pass me , as I had my lunch I was watching numerous Common Terns flying about and returning to the Tern raft with food for the young, so after lunch I decided to have a go at getting some images, very difficult, they are all over the place, but my efforts are below.




Common Tern, Opposite Stoke Dry.

One second they are flying low to the water,



The next they are twenty metres in the air, difficult to follow.























Tern Raft, Opposite Stoke Dry,
As you can see, large numbers of birds are actually on the raft behind the Perspex. During one of our Winter storms the other raft was washed ashore  and is unusable this year, this has also meant the Terns have used the Raft, no signs of Black Headed Gulls as last year they took over  large sections of both Rafts.



Adult Feeding an advanced youngster on a corner post.











Goldfinch, Opposite Stoke Dry.

Suddenly landed on this post not far from me so i had to get an image. 





Red Kite, Opposite Stoke Dry.

I had just taken the kit from the tripod when this bird appeared so it was hand hold and go for it.





I find these to be exceptional birds to photograph, super head and eye. 




Male Osprey 03/09, Over Stoke Dry.

Whwb he eventually appeared he was on the far side of the reservoir near to the village, about 650 metres away, I looked at all his previous hiding trees buy to no avail.
 








Poor images due to distance.




Osprey Nest Site O, about four miles from Eyebrook.

The gateway i took tese images from is 1100 metres from the nest so no danger of disturbing the birds.





The female on the nest that is thought to be an unringed Scottish bird, withe the bins I could see two young in the centre of the nest, these are considerably smaller than the Manton bay Young as these adult arrived nearly three weeks later.






AN UPDATE ON THE BARN OWLS.

David Gascoigne in his comment on my last post described the birds as mysterious, they are certainly a mystery to me this year.  David is the only person that comments on my posts that has visited and seen an Owl, he came with Richard and sat out  for not that long when I think it was a female came out of the small box, had a stretch and then flew away.  He and Miriam then visited the following morning for a look about in daylight and a cup of tea. I believe after having Barn Owls on our land for nineteen years I have gained a reasonable knowledge on the birds,  has an element of complacency crept in, Barn Owls do what Barn Owls do,the BTO obviously have sufficient trust in me to issue me a schedule  1 licence but nature has a way of kicking you up the backside and saying "WATCH AND LEARN" so that's what I've been doing . the results are in the following images that will
ll explain and I will rest my bruised backside. 













Male Barn Owl, Large Box.
first sighting 20th June 21.12 hrs. 



Jut a little farther out then he flew round to his favourite post.




He sat here for a few minutes watching the world go by .








Then just before I took this image another Barn owl flew from left to right past the box and above it, I think this was a female. About 21.20 hrs

Th



About three minutes later this bird flew back and landed on the front of the box and entered the box very quickly 



This time he saw the bird and immediately went down to investigate



And went immediately into the box. I got out of my hide to see what was happening. If it had been another male all hell would have broke out, but all staid quite , so it must have been a female.

Add caption



He then came back out of the box again. 



Walked to the end of the platform. 



And flew back up onto his post. 








Sat for a few minutes then flew away and went away to return in under five minutes with a mouse and went back into the biox for approx ten minutes before flying away again.

WHATS GOING ON?????




Male Barn Owl , large box.

This time 21.25 hrs and getting ready to leave 24th of June. 





After this he flew away,to go hunting, I unfortunately just checked my images just taken to check the quality, klooked up and another male came out of the small box and flew away. after a short time a male returned with a mouse and went into the large box.

I GIVE UP!!!, BUT WILL CONSIDER ANY EXPLANATIONS.

Thank you for the visit, Ihope you have enjoyed it as much as I have in getting the images, and yes even the Barn Owls even if confusing.




19 comments:

  1. Hi John,
    what a beautiful series of terns !!! I especially love picture 8 where a small tern is fed :-))) Really beautiful. The putter is also a very nice photo.
    I am also jealous of the beautiful photos of the red kite 😍. So beautiful to be able to photograph it up close.
    The osprey is of course a natural pearl :-))))
    And ohhhhhhh ..... I am even more jealous of those beautiful barn owls. Class!

    Still think carefully about your health John.
    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helma,
    Must admit the young Tern being fed is a favourite, the Red Kite was not very close, I would estimate about sixty metres, I was so pleased to see my first Osprey of the season, The Barn Owls are a nightly job for me at the moment trying to sort out as to what is going on.,
    You and your family stay safe, its very bad near to where we live at the moment,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello John
    beautiful area and great photos
    the osprey is very beautiful, but of course the tern when feeding has its charm but the most beautiful are the barn owls, my top pictures
    thanks for that
    regards
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Frank,
      Eyebrook reservoir is a beautiful place and not so busy as Rutland Water so easier to keep away from people,, so pleased you enjoy the Barn Owls, they are fascinating to me.
      You stay safe and well
      John

      Delete
  4. Beautiful John, those Barn Owls are brilliant, and the Red Kites are out the this world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob.
      what mowe can you ask for with the Barn Owls on our land I just go out ,st in my hide and wait for them to come out, had a check around toady and ib the two boxes we have 2 males and one female, still very confusing, the Red Kite was just a lucky encounter having to hand hold a very heavy lens.
      You stay safe and well
      John

      Delete
  5. Hi John, Its been a few years since I was able to get barn owl pictures of that quality. In my part of Sussex over the past couple of years we seem to have lost a lot of our wildlife. It may return, I hope so. Stay safe, Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mike,
    We are so fortunate in having these birds, its giving me an interest during these dire times, lets hope thing improve wildlife wise in your part of the world.
    You stay safe and well.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good evening John: The aerial ballet of the terns is a delight to see, choreographed by Mother Nature at her finest. Terns in flight are not the easiest subjects to capture and I am very taken with your shots. As for the Barn Owls, just keep the news and the pictures coming. Nobody ever said they have to be predictable. Best wishes to you and Veg. David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,
      Even though difficult to get images from, I must admit I love to watch the Terns at Eyebrook, all the ducking and diving is such a delight. Don't worry I will carry on with the Barn Owl updates, Had a check on the CCTV yesterday an we ha a single male in the small box and a male and female in the large box, certainly not predictable but wonderful to monitor.
      Our best wishes
      John & Veg.

      Delete
  8. Hello John, good to read you went out on a trip to see the Ospreys. To bad the nest is to far away. Perhaps better so not much people will desturb it. But in the end you managed to take photos of the male bird passing by. The Terns a difficult bird to take photos of. But you managed verry well. The Barn Owls are amazing and you are so lucky to have them so close to home. Hope they will have a good year.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roos,t
      So good to eventually se my first Osprey of the season, not being able to carry out the monitoring duties at utland due to this awful virus, yes I missed all the cold weather, but I would have rather have suffered - 30 than what we have got at the moment. I can watch the Barn Owls from our Kitchen, they are just 80 metres from the house,
      You and yours stay safe
      John

      Delete
  9. Hello John ... Very nice series of pictures... :-)))
    I´m not offended at all ... I was on vacation on the coast and disconnected from the Blog and social networks ... don´t worry ... :-) Today I checked the blog and gave approval to all the comments ... I have a lot of spam and check it before ... Happy summer dear friend ... Be safe..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ana,
    Hope you had a good vacation, glad all is OK, some of this spam is very offensive, glad yOu enjoyed the images, you stay safe and well.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  11. Outstanding photos John! I especially enjoyed seeing the adult feeding its young. Great capture! Super photo of the Goldfinch, such different coloring to ours. The Red Kite shots are amazing also. And always enjoy seeing the Osprey. It was fascinating to see their nest in the middle of a field. I have only ever seen the one’s next to the ocean here but then I don’t know much about their migratory patterns. How very nice that David visited you. I’m sure he had a great time looking at those amazing owls of yours. Fascinating behavior and more brilliant shots of these beauties. Also, thank you for your comment on my Gorilla family. I was intrigued by your trip to Africa and the story of your wife with the oranges and bananas and the female. I do hope you will elaborate one day, perhaps make a post about your trips. I would find them riveting! Please both stay safe and well and enjoy your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Denise,
    The Common Terns are so difficult to get images from as the are all over the place in flight, But I had a few lucky breaks and turned the speed up on the camera.Strange how the coloring of the Goldfinch is so different to yours, another diversity of nature. The Red Kite was another lucky shot, the bird was a long distance away and I was having to hand hold my camera / lens set up and the weight is considerable. \the \osprey nest is a sight that was put in place for the birds, the nest is rebuilt every spring by the people from Rutland Water and then the birds add bits to the nest in preparation for the young. David is an avid follower of the Barn Owls and it was so good when he visited and one of the birds came out of the box for him.
    Gorillas are such wonderful creatures , I will have to see what I can d for a post as I only took transparencies then, pre digital. but I'm sure I can find a way of getting them onto the computer.
    You both stay safe and well,
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again John, thoroughly enjoyed all your explanations of these photos and looking at these super photos again. Thank you! Also, I look forward to when you write about your time in Africa. No pressure though, I know it takes time to get those old photos together from our own experiences. You stay safe and well also :) Denise

      Delete
    2. Hi Denise,
      So pleased you enjoyed the post, I had a good time getting theimages, Eyebrook can be a wonderful place to visit but sometimes very quite as last Thursday. I will do my best with our Africa experiences, they happened over 25 years and only the last visit was with a digital camera, the remainder are mostly on slide but I am trying to find out how I can get them onto the computer.
      It sounds grim with you at the moment so be very careful
      John

      Delete
  13. Ahahah. Birdwatching is not easy ;-))) this male is really marvellous !
    I like yours pictures of terns John.
    Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!