Translate

Friday 5 June 2020

ANOTHER POST WHILST WE ARE STILL IN A  SELF IMPOSED LOCKDOWN, THANK GOODNESS FOR THE BARN OWLS.


Even though our illustrious leaders have relaxed the rules relating to Covid 19, we are still observing lockdown, we are not wanting anything to do with this awful virus.Having talked with a doctor friend on several occasions, she is of the opinion that with the relaxation of  the rules this early, we are going to get a second wave or more a Tsunami  that will make the first wave that we have endured appear to have been a party, so as far as we are concerned lay low and stay safe.  She also said that once this is over we are going to have some awful mental problems within this country and the world.
So thank heaven for the Barn Owls for some interest. The blue Tits and Great Tits have all fledged so that section of interest has gone for another year,The Blue Tits fledged first by some four hours.
I have been monitoring the Barn Owls on a daily basis except for this evening as it is raining and as they are soft feathered I doubt very much if he will emerge until it stops.On the evening of the 22nd , the female came out with the male for a few minutes to take the air, this being the one evening I left the camera in the house, I think she returned to the box in disgust at my language, I have a great variations in the time he emerges from the box from 21.00 hrs through to pitch black, the Nikon D850 is a brilliant camera but not that good to deal with that light.



Buzzard over our  land adjacent to the Owl boxes.

This bird appeared over the tops of the trees surrounding our land and very leasurely circled about.



It then found a thermal and starting gaining height. 



And here really climbing  steeply, they appear to do this purely for the sheer enjoyment.
It eventually became just a very small dot in the sky.



Male Kestrel again over the Owl boxes.
Must be a favourite corner for birds to appear. Thabk you to Roos in the rcognition.



He hovered about for a short time.



TYhen made a dive and disappeared behind the trees.



Adult Great Tit going into box.

Initially  these birds were nervous ehen I was sitting on the patio but in the end they just sat and posed for the camera.



The other adult leaving the nest after taking in food and leaving on a  cleaning mission. Having watched these birds I am amazed at the work load and stamina
, made me feel tired just watching them. 
 


First time in seeing one of the young having a look at the big outside world.




This time having a really good look at the outside world. I had to take this image from inside the kitchen, as soon as I went on the patio, the bird disappeared. 




Laast sighting of one of the Blue Tits before fledging, after this it flew straight to the box and then away for more goodies. 







Male Barn Owl.
Just coming out of the box ready to go away hunting.


Returning in under four minutes with a mouse for her in doors, I should have used a higher ISO, this at 25600, should have been at 60000+.






A bit of a lean to the right prior to going in.




And then your in.



Aquick walk down the baffle corridor and your in the main body of the box.



And then after eight minutes he's back out and away again and I go in home and feet up. for the night, unlike our owl he will be out till day break.


Rutland Ospreys.

I again have put on an image of the young Ospreys and haven't they grown, in such a short time they are really developing.





Thank you for your visit, I hope you have enjoyed it as much as I have in the getting of the images, mind still can't wait io get out with some other birds.

11 comments:

  1. Hello!!!.. i Hope you are well...Very nice pictures and captures un fligh 👍... Have a great weekend..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana,
      So far we are keeping well and hoping this awful virus wopuld go back to China, just wish I could getr some inmages at a resrvoir of Ospreye etc.
      You stay safe and well
      John

      Delete
  2. Hi John, I wish I had a barn owl to photograph, its about 4 years since I have seen one. Nice pictures. Stay safe. Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike,
      We are so fortunate to have these beautiful birds in our garden, I you weren't so far away you could use the hide for an evening.
      You stay safe and well.
      John

      Delete
  3. Hi John
    Buzzard and Kestrel are flying high, and the Barn Owl and Great Tit outside their nest, fantastic. But, my favourite is the 4 Osprey chicks, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,
      Not bad for other than the young Osprey, they are all in our garden, I got the Ospreys from the web cam,
      You keep safe Bob

      John

      Delete
  4. Que placer da ver a los tres pollos del águila pescadora, cuando crezcan si tengo suerte los veré volar cerca de mi casa en el invierno. John enhorabuena por este maravilloso reporteje, un fuerte abrazo desde el norte de España.

    ReplyDelete
  5. German,
    The young Osprey are growing at such a rate, hopefully they will pass you.when I was young, a long while ago, my first visit to Spain was to Porto Llansa, anywhere near to you?
    A big hug from the Middle of the UK
    You stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi John,
    I am also afraid that the relaxation of the measures will lead to new infections again and you can already read that. In Germany an outbreak in a meat factory, again many 650 infections in China, infections in Japan, Korea and Iran ... I don't think about it and we are still taking it very easy.

    Great to see ej photos. The flying buzzard and the kestrel are very beautiful. also the great tit who brings a shit out of his children but .... the barn owls are fantastic to see !!!!!
    Your last photo of the young ospreys is also very valuable 😀

    Greetings, Helma
    and stay safe and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am quite sure that I have never seen four Osprey chicks in the same nest. Is this a representative brood in the UK John? Here two seems to be the norm, occasionally three, but never four in my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi David,
    This is the third year this pair have produced four young , 33/11 the male is amazing, he insists on taking his turn incubating the eggs but also is such a marvellous provider of fish, hence the growth rate.
    you both stay safe and well,
    John

    ReplyDelete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!