Translate

Wednesday 15 April 2020

A BIG SURPRISE CLOSE TO OUR LAND.


My birding pal Rhys  Dandy having done some shopping for us  called by to drop it off and asked if I had seen anything of any Peregrine Falcons, I had earlier that morning seen a pair of Buzzards being attacked by a Peregrine over to the corner where the Barn Owl boxes are situated. Rhys said he was seeing them on a regular  basis over his garden, he lives about 400 metres from us farther into the village. He handed over our shopping and then spotted the female Peregrine a good distance away, he says they are nesting within  about 500 metres of our land, hopefully when all this Covid 19 trouble is over I will manage to get closer to the nest , he then gave his farewell and went  on his wayhome. We are so very lucky with having Rhys and to do shopping for us, we also have our friend Kate , she trains guide dogs and calls by at least twice a week to let them have a safe run on our land with no danger of her meeting any other people, she has done a large shop for us today and then we also have a couple that live opposite, Steve and Donna who also will shop for us so food wise we are well covered , just freedom to wander is limited. I have since spent some time sitting and waiting to see the Peregrines and it does seem that if the Buzzard appear, the Peregrine soon follow.  Not sure as to how the Barn Owls will react but hopefully they won't mind, we are getting pellets under mostly the smaller box .One positive  thing that is happening is the enormous reduction in the number of pigeons sitting in the trees all over our land.






Buzzard When fist appearing.

It appears these birds are nesting in the trees about 400 metres East of our land.



The second bird then appeared. 



They circled about for a time, unfortunately my camera with the large lens was upstairs in the house so I had to grab the first camera that came to hand. 





Both Peregrines flew in to attack the Buzzards but I only managed to get an image of one, the skirmish was very quick and then it was over




Barn Owl Box,
This is the box we think the pair are in, we are finding pellets on a regular basis  under the front of the box. Hopefully the Peregrines will leave the Barn Owls in peace.




Thank you for your visit Ihope you have enjoyed it  as much as I did in the getting of the images.  


Osprey Up date

We have twenty adult Osprey returned to Rutland Water, The Manton Bay female is sitting on four eggs . It will be wonderful once these restrictions are lifted and I can visit these birds.

22 comments:

  1. Hi John,
    Bravo for the Peregrines John, he's going so fast, it's not easy. I hope yes the owls will be quiet.
    Hope you are well.
    Friendship

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nathalie,
      I am amazed at the speed these birds arrive at, the poor Buzzards Don't have time to take any evasive action before being attacked, very difficult to follow with the camera. Hopefully the Barn Owls will remain and be safe, You both stay safe and look after each other,
      Best wishes,
      John

      Delete
  2. Nice captures of the Buzzard John. Great news that there is a couple of Barn owls in the box. Pererines will not bother them I am sure. I saw the cam images of the Ospreys and it is just amazing. Four eggs!! Usaley it is three. Hope all will grow up nice.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roos,
      This is the third year running the Manton Bay female has laid four eggs, last year they raised all four. lets hope the same for this year. Wonderful to see a pair of Peregrines flying over our land,,
      I hope you are correct ans they will live in harmony with the Barn Owls.
      You keep safe and look after your self,
      My best wishes,
      John

      Delete
  3. Fantastic images John. The raptors are wonderful, I love the Buzzards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,
      Love to watch these birds in flight. The Buzzards are so graceful.
      My best wishes,
      John

      Delete
  4. Your photos are brilliant John. Love to see them in flight. Such beautiful birds and so graceful. How very kind you have friends and neighbors who do your shopping for you. I'm glad you are able to stay home and continue to be safe and healthy. All the best, Denise :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise,
      Raptors are so good to watch in flight, as you say so graceful, Peregrines are however so fast. We are so fortunate with our friends and neighbours, in fact Steve, Donna and James live across the road from us Steve left a comment two down and is also watching the Peregrines.
      You Stay Safe
      my best wishes
      John

      Delete
    2. Thank you John, and thank you for the chance to see these beautiful birds in action :)

      Delete
    3. Hi Denise,
      Thank you for another visit, I hope to get some images of the Peregrine hunting.
      You Stay safe
      All my best wishes
      John

      Delete
  5. Hi John,
    I have a peregrine nesting close to my home but they reign supreme over anything else. Good shooting. Stay safe, Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike,
      They must be the ultimate hunter, certainly keeping the pigeons away.
      you stay safe,
      My best wishes
      John

      Delete
  6. Great pictures John, we saw them flying about, so it's great you saw and captured them in flight
    Stay Safe
    Steve, Donna James

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Steve,
    So glad you have seen them, they are so fast when they decide to chase another bird.
    You stay safe.
    Our love
    John & Veg

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are very fortunate to have such good friends, John, to help you out with shopping and ensuring that your food stocks are maintained. So far, I have done all our shopping, and have had no difficulty obtaining what we need. A couple of younger people we know have offered to help out if needed, but so far we have been fine. I make sure I am at the store right when it opens and getting in and out safely and quickly has been easy. My only complaint is that the wine selection is getting a little thin! Stay well. All the best to you and Veg.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi David and Miriam,
    We are so fortunate to have these wonderful friends keeping our food stocks full, we at times over in the UK have had so much panic buying it has been difficult in getting certain items and we have been restricted to only two of any other items, this appears to be over and things are getting back to an equilibrium..
    Would love to be able to visit the Ospreys, but this will come in time. Luckily wines and spirits stocks are staying OK.
    You both keep safe and our best wishes to you both,
    John and Veg

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi John,
    it is great to read that you have those people around you who do the shopping and also regularly call how it goes. This coiv virus is really a very scary virus.
    Nature just goes on and does not care. I hope that once the virus has been eradicated you can take nice pictures of the peregrine falcons.
    These buzzard pictures are also very beautiful and I hope to see the barn owls again soon :-)

    Take care of yourself and your loved ones.
    A sweet greeting,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Dear Helma,
    We are so lucky with our friends shopping for us and keeping us well stocked with provisions. The Peregrines and Buzzards have given me some light relief as I can stay on our own land to watch them. Once this awful Coronavirus has gone I will be able to track down both nests, The Barn Owls are still with us at the moment.
    You keep safe and look out for the family through these awful times.
    My best wishes to you and yours
    John

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lo primero darte la enhorabuena por las fotos del Busardo y el Halcón peregrino en vuelo, son fantásticas. Espero que te encuentres bien de salud amigo mío y que el confinamiento casero acabe pronto para volver a salir a la Naturaleza donde nosotros nos encontramos en nuestro entorno. Un fuerte abrazo desde el norte de España. Todo lo mejor!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola German
      Still trying for more images of the Peregrine but they always catch me out by flying from behind me and they always fly so fast, we are in good health and hope the same goes for you. It will be good once we can go out again but we must not lift the lockdown too early. A big hug fro the UK,
      You stay well,My best wishes
      John

      Delete
  13. Congrats For the pictures John... Well-done.. Take care..
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana,
      Glad you enjoyed the images, hope things are improving Covid wise around Madrid.
      Look after yourself.
      My best wishes.
      John

      Delete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!