Translate

Tuesday 25 February 2020


AN UNFORTUNATE CAMERA PROBLEM, AND IT STOPPED RAINING-EVENTUALLY, AND THEN WE HAD A LITTLE SUN.

AI decided to have another look for the Short Eared Owls at Lowesby but again had another failure,whilst on site I again met up with another gent with a camera who like me had not seen the birds for several weeks, and he had been visiting every day, I manage once a week. So I headed for the Red Kite village to make the best of a bit of sunshine. On my arrival I quickly had my packed lunch, at the same time, keeping an eye out for the birds. Eventually I got out of the car and picked the D850 and got ready to mount it onto my tripod, I noticed a movement of the lens on the body, which when held firm the lens was moving a reasonable amount , as soon as I started taking some images the camera was struggling in focusing, I however persevered and managed to get some not perfect but reasonable images of these wonderful birds. I have since returned the camera and found that the chrome lens retaining ring had come very loose allowing the lens to wobble about considerably, this has since however been tightened in place and all appears to be good, but I've just got to wait for all the rain to move away and then get out and test the set up.

It was noticeable on this visit that the birds would not come very close at all as on the previou visit  and I would estimate that for most of the images the Kites were in excess of 200 metres away. in fact for some they were over 300 metres away, not easy with a camera that was struggling to focus .














Red Kite over Main Village area.

The following images are taken from several locations around the village, the first time I have followed the birds so much but it put me amongst a much larger number of birds , where ever I looked birds were circling and chasing, superb to see and watch.










This pair were circling in the middle of the village , near to the feeding area.


































































Several birds were circling together but no sign of aggression, may be different when the food is out.



































Another bird with wing tags , a Midland  bred bird.







So many birds were circling in pairs









































































































This image is taken over the area where the birds are fed.









Little Owl Site No. 6.

This is the only site I have seen a bird at for a  considerable time, where have they all gone ??










Dunnock, Eye brook Reservoir.

Several feeding on the ground where some body had thrown some seed delightful little bird.



Thank you for your visit, I hope its not been spoiled by my camera problems.



Ihope for my next post, the camera and lens are behaving and all is well.




14 comments:

  1. Hello John, that problem with your camera sounds serious. Hope you can fix it. Good you were able to see the Red Kites again and take (despite the problems) some decent photos of them.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roos,
    I thought the problem had been resolved but it appears not, looks as if it will have to go away again.
    I find the Red Kites in such numbers absolutely amazing and intend to return yet again.
    All the best,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John, they are wonderfully the Red Kites, and I love the Dunnock, especially the header. I hope there not to see camera/docs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bob,
    I'm so fortunate to have been put onto these Red Kites being fed, The Dunnock was a real bonus an hopefully the camera is OK.
    All the best,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John!!! Beautiful Dunnock, cute little owl and nice captures of the red kite... Happy week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana,
      Pleased myself with the Dunnock a lovely little bird. The Little Owl is the only one I am seeing, where have they all gone???? and have got the camera fixed so some better images of the Red Kites for the next post.
      You have a good week,
      All the best,
      John

      Delete
  6. Fantásticos los milanos en vuelo, por aquí ya se empiezan a ver los Milvus migrans, la primavera parece que regresa. Me ha gustado mucho ver al mochuelo tomando el sol, enhorabuena John. Un fuerte abrazo desde España.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi German,
      I have had a wonderful time with the Kites but the camera problems did not help. Likewise in the UK we are getting signs of Spring , and hopefully less rain.
      A hug from the uk
      All the best,
      John

      Delete
  7. Hello John
    what a pity that your lens and / or camera caused problems when you visited the red kite area. Yet your foot's are really beautiful because many would like to have made these same photos! they are really beautiful flying images of the red kite and that ondaks a camera that fails.

    Good health and think about yourself.
    Greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helma,
      It was a great pity regarding the focus problem which appears to be sorted by tightening the lens mounting ring, I have been out since and tested the set up and it appears good.
      Look after yourself Helma,
      All the best,
      John

      Delete
  8. Oh, it's beautiful. My heart races when I see raptors flying together.
    Very nice picture of the Dunnock, bravo.
    Nice day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nathalie,
      I think if you visited this village where so many are flying together, if not careful it would be a heart attack.
      All the best
      John

      Delete
  9. It's a real bummer when the equipment gives you problems. Amongst all these pictures I think the Dunnock is my favourite, John. It is not the brightest of birds, but it certainly has an understated beauty and is worthy of the attention of a skilled photographer such as yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi David,
    Yes a bummer is being very polite regarding this problem. I'm always fond of the Dunnock. a bird I see on sa regular basis at Eyebrook.
    All the best
    John

    ReplyDelete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!