Translate

Tuesday 16 July 2019

MORE NEWS ON THE BARN OWLS AND ANOTHER OSPREY DUTY.


Sorry for the late post but I have been spending a considerable amount of time of the evenings out on Barn Owl watch. I am seeing birds every evening but not always managing any images when they appear when it almost dark.

The last few evenings all I have seen is the Male, so hopefully the female is sitting on eggs, I intend to give them a few more days and then I will put on the cameras to find out as to what is going on in the boxes.




Male Barn Owl, Small Box.

This bird suddenly appeared , luckily I had the camera with me in the car so it was wind up the ISO and have a try, he was away soon after I  managed the image. All the following images are taken from in the car at a distance of approx 80 metres.



 Male again, this time a little later, but again he did not hang about and was away.




This time he came into the doorway and then turned around and went back into the box. 




Only to appear 35 minuted later and  stand on the front of the box for a couple of minutes.




These taken at ISO 22800 and propping the lens on the car wing mirror .





OSPREY DUTY.
11th July.


I arrived at the centre at 12.30 and upon seeing Marie, was told that the last of the four young had fledged at 07.55 hrs that morning, this being the Male Osprey, 057, he had apparently flown from the nest only to land on the T post just above the camera , and then spent approximately 2 hrs plucking up the courage to fly over to the next T post, by the time I arrived at Waderscrape Hide he was confidently flying around the nest as if he was an experienced bird, wonderful to see. The young fledged as follows, 055 { male} 2nd July. 054 {female} 3rd July. 056 {Male} 4th July. and finally 057 {female} 11 th July.
It has been wonderful to watch these birds as they have raised the young with both adults feeding the chicks, but with all four flying more food will be required to be supplied by 33/11.

It was also a sad afternoon as Shelagh is moving to Norfolk in a fortnights time so this will be our last duty together, she will be really missed by the project as she has been doing duties since the birds were first introduced to the reservoir and were kept in cages on Lax Hill.




Male Osprey, 33/11 on the camera 'T' post.

This is where the male sat when i took over duty, he remained on this perch for about an hour and then flew but I took my eyes of him for a minute whilst talking to visitors and I lost hime unfortunately.




All four of the young birds together in the fallen Poplar. 



Female 057 flew across and took up the spot that 33/11 had vacated.
 
 



Not sure as which juvenile this is, I can read only 05 on the ring.




The remaining three in the Poplar, 054, 055 & 056. 



After 057 flew to the nest, the adult female flew onto the camera post. 



057 and another sibling on the nest keeping an eye on her. 




Eventually another juvenile lands on the nest and one joins the female on the camera post. 



 Juvenile Moorhen, Wadersrape Hide.

All three of the young were about in the channels but this was the only bird I managed an image from.



Female Mallard, Waderscrape Hide.

Flew in and landed but departed soon after. 





Common Tern, Deepwater Hide.

On my way back to the centre car park I called in at this hide and managed some images of the Terns, such agile aerobatic birds. 




Same bird, just on another dive and hover. I love the fact that Helma calls these "Fish Thieves".



Thank you for your visit, I hope you have enjoyed it as much as I did in the getting of the images.







10 comments:

  1. Superb birds John, I love the Common Tern, makes a geat header.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bob,
    It was pure luck with the Common Tern, I called in at Deepwater Hide on the way back to the Car Park and it was about 40 metres out from the hide and staid whilst I took some images.
    All the best,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your header is stunning John, and loved the owl peaking out of the box. The study of the osprey is great too, all very enjoyable and super photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Denise,
    I really enjoy trying to get flying images of Terns but they are so difficult to get as they are always changing direction.
    The Barn Owls are taking a considerable amount of my time at the moment, hopefully it will be worth it and we will have Owlets to watch.
    The Ospreys are doing so well this year, lets just hope it continues.
    Glad you enjoyed your visit.
    All the best,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, John, your new header is S P E C T A C U L A R! What a capture! And second, I continue to be seriously impressed with what you do for the Barn Owls, and I am happy to see that you are getting pictures right at your boxes. This is a conservation story of the highest order in my opinion, and I doubt very much that it receives the recognition it should. But your personal level of satisfaction must be a great reward in itself. Congratulations,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi David,
    The Barn Owls that you claimed are yours during your visit are really doing very well, we at last have had the camera on and she is sitting on seven eggs so I'm not sure as to how many will hatch but fingers crossed.
    I have got the hide in place at the moment so once they are feeding the young I should get some decent images. As you say the personal satisfaction is a reward.
    The Tern header is the type of image I really enjoy taking, just to get that bit of action in these wonderful birds.
    Thank you for the comment, very much appreciated.
    All the best,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello John, great to see the Barnowl and the Ospreys. Good to see the juveniles all fledged and getting used to flying. Hope they will have a save travel to Africa when the times come.
    Saw last week a young Barnowl cross the street and land in a tree. I managed to take some nice photos of it.
    Take care,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Roos,
    The Barn Owls are sitting on seven eggs so hopefully all will go well but with the temperatures we are experiencing at the moment I'm not sure as to what will happen.
    The Ospreys are doing very well and I am on duty tomorrow but I think its going to be a very hot affair, the forecast is for a temperature of 39 deg.!!!!!
    Look forward to seeing your Barn Owl images.
    All the best,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so fascinating to look at, your captures are amazing!☺

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Natalia,
    Thank you for the visit and comment, I'm glad you enjoyed the images.
    All the best,
    John

    ReplyDelete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!