Translate

Tuesday 26 February 2019

AN AFTERNOON AT RUTLAND AND WOW WAS IT WARM.


I again arranged to meet up with my friends who had travelled up on Wednesday afternoon so as to have a few hours on Thursday morning at Eyebrook with the Short-eared Owls prior to us meeting up at the Egleton Centre at 12.30 hrs.

We had managed at last to have a beautiful day weatherwise with the temperature managing a warm 16.5 deg C, like a fool I still put my coat on and within ten minutes I was baking, I could have just been in shirt sleeves and been plenty warm enough.

We had a steady walk around the hides and at last my friend got a male and female Smew a little closer, we stopped at one point to have a chat with a gent I see on a reasonably regular basis and he lucky chap had the two Smew within twenty metres of him.

Having had a wonderful afternoon we took a steady walk around the various hides and eventually back to the car park and got underway for home.

We have had some extraordinary weather during this last week, who says global warming is not happening.









Canada Geese, Redshank Hide. Lagoon 2.

These two split away from a large number in the middle of the lagoon and swam towards me for a short distance and turned around and returned whence they came.








They are such a proud looking goose.





Greylag Goose, Grebe Hide, Lagoon 2.

This bird decided to have a quick wash and brush up, had to get an image.





Greylag Goose, Grebe Hide, Lagoon 2.

This bird was much closer and on the shore.






Male Smew, Plover hide, Lagoon 4.

This bird came within about 80 metres from us but would not come any closer even though we waited for about 40 minutes, at no time did either of the males put the crest up unfortunately. 





Second male, closer to the corner of the lagoon with some Coots. 





Great White Egret, Bittern Hide, Lagoon 3.

We met up with a couple who had been around the reserve all day and they had seen seven G.W.E., I wonder when they will breed at Rutland Water for the first time.






Mallard Drake, Bittern Hide, Lagoon 3.

Such an underrated bird, we mostly tend to ignore them as just being a Mallard.








Little Grebe, Bittern Hide, Lagoon 3.

This little beauty just suddenly broke surface and I managed a quick image prior to it disappearing  again. 




Male Shoveler, Shoveler Hide, Lagoon 3.

These birds were about in reasonable numbers all over the lagoon .



Another male having a quick preen. 




Drake Shelduck, Shoveler Hide, Lagoon 3.

Several of these ducks swimming about, these are a bird that will usually  when possible nest underground in a disused rabbit hole.







Greylag Goose, Shoveler Hide, Lagoon 3.

Two of these were hanging around near the bird feeders that have been put up near the hide to attract the Bearded Tits. A friend saw a Water Rail on the bird table having its fill and the Grey lag were waiting underneath picking up any spillage. 



Moor Hen, Crake Hide, South Arm 3.

After we had been in the hide for a few minutes, my friend said "can you hear splashing near the water fall."
This is the variable level out flow wear from Lagoon 3 into the main reservoir. Upon having a look through the bins, I could see a Moor Hen swimming about, it then speeded up and was splashing around and then eventually stood on the front of the weir.



Something I have never seen before, this bird was catching fish, this fish is only small, but the bird was having a good feast. 



This time it had caught a much larger specimen.




This time a smaller fish, after this the bird disappeared back into the Lagoon but what an interesting encounter.






Female Smew {Red Head}, Sandpiper Hide, Lagoon 4.

We had seen some females whilst in Plover Hide but they were a silly distance away, this bird was about 80 metres away so it was worth a try.



Thank you for your visit, I hope you have enjoyed it as much as I did in the getting of the images.


For a Dear friend who visits my blog, both my wife and I wish you all the best with your operation and look  forward to seeing you in the non to distant future. The Osprey's are returning and so will you.





12 comments:

  1. Fabulous John, stunning your birds. My favourite is the Great White Egret, one I never did caught, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,
      Thank you Bob, I'm amazed you have never seen a Great White Egret, we seem to be increasing in numbers at Rutland. Not many weeks ago we had 19 in one small area. David was commenting not long ago as to when they will start breeding on the reservoir.
      Lets hope you will soon see some.
      All the best, John

      Delete
  2. Fantastic photos John, I love all of your birds but the egret seems such a noble bird, an elegant pose in your header shot. Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Denise,
    The GWE are such a beautiful bird, and as you say elegant.
    I really enjoy getting an image of them in flight, the header bird was just about to take to the air.
    Thanks for the visit, all the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John,
    you start right away with some nice shots of the Canadian geese :-) Really really beautiful images.
    The smew you could photograph again and the great egret is very charming among the reeds :-) You also show very nicely that the wild ducks are really beautiful!
    Doddlers, shoveler and shelducks are all beautiful in detail and sharp.
    That moorhen on the waterway is really great. Just with a fish in his mouth whahahahaha ...... super!
    I really enjoyed these great pictures again :-))))

    Kind regards,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Helma,
    Thank you for the visit and yes it was good to get some images of the Canada Geese, birds we get in large numbers at Rutland. It was good to find some closer.
    I cannot resist an image of the Smew whilst they are about, it won't be long before they are away.
    I always enjoy seeing Shelducks and Shovelers, they are so colourful this time of year.
    The Moorhen was a first for me, I have never seen one taking a fish and this one was having a feast.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello John, some great photos of the water birds but I like most the Smew a bird I still have to see.
    All the best,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Roos,
    Hopefully you will get to see a Smew and manage to get some images, they are such a beautiful duck.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  8. I shall obviously have to petition the Government of Canada to bestow honorary citizenship upon you since you have started your post with Canada Geese, and use such fine words to describe them! But then you go on to tease me again with that drake Smew, you bugger! I think I shall have to look for a carving of it. It is probably the closest I will get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi David,
    I await the call to the embassy with baited breath.
    I am becoming very fond of geese in general and the Canada Goose always to me appears a very proud bird.
    We have had a very good winter with the Smew, up to 17 at Eyebrook Reservoir and 9 at Rutland, they are such a beautiful bird but the problem this year has been the reluctance to come closer.
    I will on Thursday have a word for you with a drake and red head to see if they will have a Canadian visit.
    All the best to you both, John & Veg

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello John,
    Lovely array of water birds from the Canada geese to the Moorhen with its catch!
    And the shoveler preening is wonderful, I love these ducks, but the must here to me is the Smew!
    Many thanks for your faithful presence in the the publications on my blog, I spend little time at home and am quite busy preparing trips to Africa or sorting my pics!
    All the best and enjoy your outings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Noushka,
      I got the impression you had been busy, but I have enjoyed my visits to your posts, loved the Gorillas.
      The male Smew is such a beautiful bird, just wish one would come that little bit closer.
      Have a good week end and enjoy your trip to Africa when ever you visit.
      All the best. John

      Delete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!