Translate

Saturday 27 October 2018


ANOTHER VISIT TO EGLETON, FOLLOWED WITH A TRIP TO EYEBROOK.


I decided on Thursday the 18th to have an afternoon visit to Egleton to see what was around, on arrival at the centre and a quick talk with David it appeared very much the same as the previous week, apparently the Great White Egrets had risen to nineteen in number. So after a quick walk down to Shoveler Hide where nothing other than well in excess of a  thousand Tufted Ducks  well out in the lagoon was evident.
I then made my way around to Lapwing Hide, this hide covers both the Main Arm of the reservoir {South Arm 3} and Lagoon 2 from the other side, at times later in the year it get large numbers of ducks but very little was evident in the main area so I then looked into Lagoon two where I could see some Shoveler ducks.
I then finished up in Crake Hide for most of the remaining time.







Shoveler Duck, Lapwing Hide, Lagoon 2.

This was the only bird that was in a reasonable distance, but she unfortunately swam away and tucked herself away in some reeds instead of coming closer, why do they always do this.

 
 
 




Chiffchaff, Lapwing Hide, Lagoon 2.

Then after a few minutes waiting to see if any of the Shovelers came any closer or anymore flew in, all of a sudden I saw some movement to my right and this little beauty flew in to a bush within 15 metres of the hide.







It sat for a good five minutes and most certainly had me spotted but made no attempt to fly away.




It eventually flew away when another couple entered the hide but not until I had had my fill of getting some images. I then moved to Crake Hide as a Jack Snipe had been visiting in the morning and for several days previously, but not for me.

 
 




Great White Egret, Crake Hide, South Arm 3.

Nothing like the numbers that were evident previously, I counted twelve around the bay. This bird I caught just as it flew in and still has the air brakes and flaps out. 




This bird perched itself on a pile of weed that was no doubt washed up during the windy day a week ago. Decided just to have a quick scratch.




This bird also had just flown in and this time joined up with another GWE on a heap of weed.




Little Egret, Crake Hide, South Arm 3.

Here striding out with a purpose.
 




Who's that down in the water!!!!




Grey Wagtail, Buzzard Hide, Lagoon 3.

Not the best of images, the bird sat on an island just over thirty metres away but I just had to try for some images, they are really such a lovely bird.




I suppose not that bad for saying the distance and the amount the image has been cropped.





Thufted Ducks, Shoveler Hide, Lagoon 3.

This image shows about a third of the birds that were way out in the lagoon, this is an uncropped image and they extended a  similar distance to both left and right.





EYEBROOK RESERVOIR.
25th October.

I decided to have a visit to Eyebrook Reservoir, it was a beautiful sunny and warm day and likely to to be the last for a while to the forecast that has said we could have snow a bit farther North over the weekend.

Several reports of Whooper Swans visiting really swung my decision and again I would have the bonus of some Red Kite.

On arrival I met with a gent who I have met numerous times who likewise had not seen any Whooper, he said the same as me and also had seen no Kite.

During the afternoon I saw six, five of which would have been shots direct into the sun and the sixth was so high in the sky, I attempted and failed miserably, we did however manage some flight shots with both Canada and Greylag geese and in general had an entertaining and enjoyable afternoon and chat. 





Greylag Goose, Eyebrook Reservoir opposite Stoke Dry.

A large area of the top part of the reservoir  had large numbers of both Greylag and Canada geese that would take off and fly into the fields behind us on a regular basis. 




These four in close formation, how they were not touching wings.



Starting to split up a little.





At last getting more into a line. 








Three Canada and a single Greylag in this image, more were in the flight but this one I had to crop a great amount.













This is the bird of the left of the above pair, cropped for the above image and then some more for this.





I hope you have enjoyed your visit as much as I did in the getting of the images.

I may try for the Deer Rut at Calke Abbey next week.


16 comments:

  1. Hi John
    Fantastic birds, and about them flying, they are so great, love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bob,
    As I have commented previously I do enjoy getting flight shots, I visited Eyebrook hoping to see some Whooper Swans but they had unfortunately departed, you can't win them all.
    Shame the Grey Wagtail didn't come a little closer.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John,
    a nice shovel to start with :-) The Tjoftjaf you really beautiful and nicely sharp can photograph. You can just count the feathers hihi ..... great!
    You have also immortalized the great and the little Egret. Today I went for the little Egret but unfortunately I did not find it. The more I enjoy your beautiful photos with you.
    The yellow wagtail is very nice to see.
    The gray geese in flight are fantastic !!! You have made beautiful sherpe images. My compliments.

    I wish you a nice new week.
    I will be away for a while from next Wednesday because my family will need me.

    Dear regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Helma,
    The Chiffchaff came to visit me and almost asked to take its photo, they are such a lovely little bird.
    We at the moment have very large numbers of Little Egret and nineteen Great Whites were reported at Rutland a few days ago, so sorry you didn't manage to find any.
    Such a shame the Grey Wagtail was so far away, why won't they come closer when we ask them.
    The Greylag and Canada geese were for me a real bonus, I really enjoy getting flight shots, thank you for the compliment.
    I wish you also a good week but I'm sure it will be tinged with sadness. I can understand your family needing you, please be strong and all help each other through this time.
    All my good wishes, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,
      Thank you for your understanding :-)
      I've already seen your neirew post (beautiful photos) but I still have to respond to it.
      My family did indeed need me and we also had grief.

      Kind regards, Helma

      Delete
    2. Dear Helma,
      I cannot even imagine the grief you and your family will be going through at this time of the year.
      I hope you all helped each other through this awful time.
      Kind regards, John

      Delete
    3. Hi John,
      we are happy that we can be with and together.
      You can not imagine the sadness and I hope you never have to experience this. Nobody would ever have to go through this.
      Thank you for your understanding and your loving support.

      Dear regards, Helma

      Delete
    4. Dear Helma,
      I cannot imagine the sadness but I am pleased you all managed to get together and give support to each other.
      Regards, John

      Delete
  5. Fantastic images especially in flight shots - one made me think of Sydney Opera House!! So many real beauties!
    Chiffchaff so pretty and beautiful Egrets. Loved it all. M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Margaret,
    I get considerable pleasure in the getting of flight shots, on this visit to Eyebrook that was really all I managed to get.
    The Chiffchaff was determined to get its photo on the blog, just sat and posed for me, shame the Grey Wagtail didn't do the same.
    See you both soon.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi John,
    Very nice collection and it's a chance to see the Greylag Goose. In France, the sky is empty. Let's thank the gangs of murderers!
    The egrets are very pretty.
    Have a good day, John.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nathalie,
    I always enjoy getting flight shots, I was lucky with the Greylag, have been back this afternoon as it was raining heavy {I can stop in the car at Eyebrook} and not a one to be seen, about ten Canada geese near the dam.
    We also have the shooting fraternity but they are not allowed to shoot at the reservoirs, they mainly shoot Pheasant & Partridge that nave been bred to be shot, I hate it.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always think I am going to find a favorite John, but your photos are very hard to choose between. The egret and its reflections are outstanding, as are your flying Greylags - makes a perfect header! All are outstanding, thank you so much for keeping me in awe when I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Denise,
    Whenever I visit other blogs, as you say invariably I find a favourite, always good when you cannot.
    Thank you for the compliment, I really enjoy getting flight images.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello John: You have to stop giving me so many great images to look at! The shots of the geese in flight are simply outstanding. And the images of the little Chiffchaff, quiet and unassuming, are very nice indeed. Here is my prediction for Great Egrets, in a few years you will barely pay them any more heed than you now pay Little Egrets. They are colonizing Britain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi David,
    Sorry for the numbers but you can hardly complain after the numbers in your last posts from Australia, mind I have had a most enjoyable few hours looking at those colorful birds.
    I really enjoy getting flight images and the Greylag and Canada Geese were just tempting me to take more images.
    Th Chiffchaff just sat and was watching me from in the bush almost asking to be photographed, they are such a pretty little bird.
    I completely agree with the GWE, on a recent visit, nineteen had been seen from Crake hide by a friend who was visiting.
    All the best to you both, John

    ReplyDelete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!