Translate

Sunday 20 January 2019

A VISIT TO REG AND JILL FOR HOPEFULLY AN UPDATE ON THE TAWNY.
THEN A VISIT TO EYEBROOK IN THE SUN, BUT WITH A STING IN THE TAIL.



Those of you that follow my blog will remember my images of the juvenile Tawny Owl in the garden of my friends Reg and Jill. 

At the time I put Reg in touch with Simon of the Hawk and Owl Trust.  He turned up some six weeks ago and erected a Tawny box in the tree for them and said he would return in the Spring to see what if anything was in situ.

I had an Email from Reg the other evening with an image showing what appears to be an adult Tawny sitting in the entrance to the box taking in the bit of sun we had on that day. Simon was also delighted and feels sure the bird will breed in the box this year.

Needless to say I had to have a visit to see if I could get some images, it was however not a nice day and I managed no views of the owl.

I had an email from Reg recently to say the Tawny was sitting in the entrance to the box at 09.58 hrs, the sun was out again so I must try harder when we have some sun.









 Juvenile Tawny Owl from earlier in the year.



New Tawny box as erected by the Hawk and Owl Trust six weeks ago.






Ingenious image as taken by Reg using his I phone through his binoculars.

What appears to be an adult Tawny owl having taken up residence in the new box, Hawk and Owl trust say they will monitor the box in a few weeks time. This bird is being seen on a regular basis on a sunny morning.




Robin, Whilst waiting to see the Tawny.

Whilst Reg and myself waited to see if the Tawny would show, this little beauty came to see us. It staid with us most of the time we were outside.









AT LAST A SUNNY VISIT TO EYEBROOK RESERVOIR. BUT!!!!!!




I arrived at Eyebrook for 12.35 hrs and immediately went to the Upper Bunker hide, large numbers of Lapwings were well out on the mud with a few waders but at the distance I took no images and headed down the Reservoir to the gateway where I had previously seen the Smew. I arrived to find four gents with scopes and upon asking if any Smew were about, was immediately  invited to have a look through a scope and I had four Smew all together, two Drakes and two Red heads, these birds were however a silly distance away but one of the gents managed to find one Drake closer so I took a few images in hope they would not be that bad,the bird still being well in excess of 200 metres away. After this we waited to see if any of the birds came any closer only to have a Short-eared Owl fly past with the wind behind it, we did not see it for very long, however we all moved out onto the road and saw the bird appear over the hedge and cross the road only to disappear behind the high hedge on the opposite side of the road.

The gents had been counting the Smew and had got a total of seventeen, six of which were Drakes, two of these Drakes were young birds and had not full plumage yet.

I then moved down to the Lower Bunker hide and met up with the gent who I told about the Short-eared Owl on top of the hill, he told me he had seen the bird on the afternoon I told him about it but has been monitoring the area on a daily basis and for the previous three days has been seeing three birds in the fields, so after seeing what was about from this hide we decided to visit the area again together.

We  had a large number of Greylag geese near to the hide then we had a fleeting visit by a Red Kite followed by two more that circled for a few minutes then all hell broke loose. 

The fields on the opposite side of the road are in a shooting estate and 20 to 30 guns all started firing at the same time and everything scattered from the Greylag, Mallard and all the rest of the water birds, the gent I was with stated that would be the end of the afternoons birding, so we decided to visit the area where we had seen the Shorties, this being abou a mile away. However we had not been looking out for the Owls for long when the shoot appeared in the fields on the opposite side of the road so we gave it best and I went on a drive about looking for any Red Kites or Buzzards. I saw a few Kites but the second you lifted the lens in the air, they dived and disappeared from view very quickly.









 Smew Drake, Eyebrook Reservoir, from the gate.


This bird was in excess of two hundred metres away so a lucky shot. They really are a beautiful duck.










Lapwing from the Gate.

Whilst waiting to see if any Smew came any closer I managed to get this image shot between the tall grass.





Greylag Goose, Lower Bunker Hide.

These birds were within fifty metres of the hide and didn't appear over bothered when I entered the area and met up with the gent. So it was a case of get a few images.










First Red Kite to appear, Bunker Hide.


This bird only gave us a fleeting visit before flying over the reservoir to the far side.





Second bird to arrive, quickly followed by a third and they both then circled an area not far from the hide, just a case of rest the camera on the side and shoot away.










Third Red Kite, wonderful birds to watch in flight.











Last image managed before the shooting commenced, not many seconds after this everything was away to the far side of the reservoir.




Thank you for your visit, I hope you have enjoyed the images as much as I did in the getting of them.

I intend to meet up with the gent again and have another try for the three Short-eared Owls.




14 comments:

  1. Hi John
    The Tawny Owl juvenile, is brilliant. And, the Red Kite, it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bob,
    Great news on the Tawny Owl with it taking up residence in the box.
    The Rad Kite images would have been better still without the idiots shooting, we would have also hopefully seen the Short-eared Owls as well making a fuller post.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gran reportaje amigo mío, todas las fotos son magníficas. Enhorabuena por la ocupación del cárabo Strix aluco en esa caja nido tan espectacular. John, un fuerte abrazo desde España, todo lo mejor!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola German,
      Tuvimos tanta suerte de que el Tawny Owls se haya instalado en la caja tan rapido.
      Todavia esta en la caja como lo vio mi amigo esta tarde tomando un poco de sol.
      Lastima el tiroteo, arruino una buena tarde.
      Un fuerte abrazo para Inglaterra.
      John

      Delete
  4. Lovely view of the Tawny Owl, and how clever of Reg to take a photo through the binoculars. Necessity is the mother of invention :) Your robin pictures are a delight, such a sweet little bird. Sounds like you had a lot of sightings of interesting birds. Such a shame the hunting people scared them away. Very interesting markings on the Smew Drake and the Lapwing. I also love the look of the Greylag Goose, though I don’t get to see them but rarely and usually when I am on holiday. The Red Kite in flight photos are wonderful too, all your photos always are. Thank you so much for sharing them John. Enjoy the rest of your week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise,
      What a wonderful thing to have happened to Reg & Jill, they are over the moon with having the bird and every time we have a sunny day it shows in the front of the box, I really must get down to see them when its sunny, mind why take all this fancy kit, probably try my old box Browny and binoculars!!!!!
      Robins I find very difficult not to take an image from they are always so cheeky.
      We had a wonderful afternoon until the shooting began, such a shame.
      Smew are the most beautiful of Ducks and I am hoping to get some closer images sometime soon and then you will see the total markings.
      We have Greylag geese in large numbers at the moment, they are a lovely marked bird.
      Red Kites are as I'm sure you have noticed a favourite of mine, they are so graceful in flight, a joy to watch.
      Thanks for the visit and comment.
      All the best, John

      Delete
  5. Ohhhhh .... so cool this owl :-)))))
    Owls are and remain beautiful animals. I really love owls.
    You could make the red-bore fine close up. You can count the feathers. You can also shoot small nuns or small saw-jaws. I can see them well, but they are too far away to take pictures of them. The lapwing and the gray geese are also nicely photographed and then the red kite. Really fantastic pictures of this red kite. My compliments. Photo; s where I'm a bit jealous ;-)

    Kind regards and think very well about yourself,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Helma,
    Owls are most definitely beautiful birds, I just hope the Tawny stays at the box and breeds this year.
    I always enjoy getting images of the Red Kite, they are so graceful in flight.
    I had another visit this afternoon to Eyebrook so a friend could see some male Smew, which he did and we then followed this with three Short-eared Owls so more Owls for the nest post.
    Thank you for the complimentary comment, very much appreciated.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  7. Besides all the other birds and Red Kites I can imagine you want to see the Tawny Owl in its new box. A great bird wich I saw once also in a owl box but just its eyes when it looked out over the rim of the box. Hope you get to get some great captures of it in the future.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Roos,
    Yes I would love to see the Tawny owl again and I'm sure it will happen, I have an open invitation to visit any time I want so its up to me.
    I had an even better meeting yesterday whilst out with some friends, I managed to get us in the area with three Short-eared Owls, it was an absolute delight and they just ignored us and just flew around us.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad to see that you and Reg are taking good care of the Tawny Owl and providing high quality accommodation for it. Perhaps you will be rewarded with a brood of owlets. Great new header by the way, John.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi David,
    And welcome back, hope you had a good break.
    Reg is taking very good care of the Tawny Owl in a 5 star box, when ever we have a sunny day it appears in the entrance and takes in some sun. I'm not sure as to the age of the bird, if it's one of this years youngsters I doubt if it will breed but lets hope.
    All the best to you both, John

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi John!!!.. The Tawny is really adorable.. Great work.. Kind regards from Spain

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ana,
    This bird is still resident in the box and the Hawk and Owl trust are hopeful for breeding this year.
    All the best and have a good rest of the week. John

    ReplyDelete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!