Translate

Monday 20 August 2018

BAD NEWS WITH THE BARN OWLS AND GETTING TOWARDS THE END WITH THE OSPREY.


I was out in the garden this afternoon working on getting some ivy out from one of my hedges when I saw a Hornet fly past me, I then saw another and this time took a little more notice and watched in horror as it disappeared into the front of the larger of the two Barn Owl boxes. I immediately rushed back to the house and put the CCTV cameras on in both boxes hoping not to see dead Barn Owls in either box, luckily no signs of any owls,. I then phoned my friend Rhys who came round virtually immediately and confirmed they were Hornets so he contacted someone he had seen did work with bees and within an hour we had him on site, the first thing we did was to check by opening the side door that we had no Barn Owls up in the roof and luckily nothing was present and after this the Hornets were dispatched. The box is still out of use with a board over the entrance and the side door still undone but the powder used is not harmful to birds so after a couple of days the box and hopefully the Owls will be back in operation. 


This has been another two weeks when time has been at a premium for me and trips out with the camera have had to wait.

I eventually had an Osprey duty on the 16th which was the day before Bird Fair opened at Rutland Water and we were extremely busy with a continuous stream of visitors arriving all afternoon and has we walked back to the car park people were still arriving and walking down the the hide. Most certainly the busiest duty I have ever done and most enjoyable with some super questions being asked

Both the juvenile birds have departed for West Africa, 3AW first and followed by the juvenile male 3AU on Tuesday the 14th.  With the Manton nest being so early the other nest are nothing like so advanced with the juveniles.

So both adults are having a lazy time with 33 catching the odd fish and carrying a few sticks in to the nest for the female to place in the positions she requires in preparation for next year, it is with a mixture of sadness and pleasure at this time of the year that these wonderful birds are leaving to head south to over winter but then they will return for us to watch over them for another season.






Hornets, Barn Owl Box. our garden.
This is the sight I first saw with Hornets entering the box between the baffle and the front. The timber is 20 mm thick so it gives some idea of the size of the Hornet .
















How the box will look for a couple of days then the door will be locked and the timber over the entrance removed.





OSPREY DUTY.
16th August.



Grey Heron, Waderscrape Hide.

This heron suddenly appeared and flew into the channel to the front of the hide.




It landed in the side of the channel and kept itself well hidden if the reeds and slowly stalked forward.




Coming closer all the time.








Adult Moorhen with young, Waderscrape Hide.

And this young Moorhen was its proposed target, the Heron returned at least six time during the duty but was seen off by the adults, wonderful to watch but being so busy I managed no images of this.








Juvenile Moorhen, Waderscrape Hide.

This juvenile is still feeding one of the young, we still have four young in the channels so the Heron has still not managed to get a meal.





It appears to be looking far from happy, people in the hide were asking if the could shout at the bird but this obviously could not happen.
 







Female Osprey, Waderscrape Hide.

Sitting on her favourite perch awaiting 33 to bring her a fish during the afternoon. This is where she sat all afternoon other than a fly around the bay twice.



Male Osprey 33/11, Waderscrape Hide.

This bird was absent on my arrival but soon arrived and sat himself on the camera post.



Female {closest} and 33/11, Waderscrape Hide.

As you can see the female is the larger bird of the two.




33 had a quick flight and returned with a stick that he placed on the nest, you can just make out his tail feathers above the nest edge.



Female Osprey, having a fly around Manton Bay.

This is the first time I have seen her fly around the bay, she only normally has flown previously to see away intruder birds.






Lapwing, Tufted Duck Hide.

These are starting to arrive in reasonable numbers.



Kerry Hill Sheep, Lyndon Centre.

This is a breed I have not seen before and was pointed out as a rare breed by one of the lady visitors to the hide so I managed an image on the way back to the car park.








Barn Owl, Eyebrook Reservoir.

I had an evening trip out and finished at Eyebrook as it was getting dark, on getting out the car and visiting the bunker hide this bird flew by, so just a lucky shot.







Thank you for your visit, I hope you have enjoyed it as much as I have in the getting of the images.

14 comments:

  1. Hi John.
    Fantastic birds, Hornets, and Sheep. They are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bob,
    The Hornets we could have done without but other than that it was so busy on duty I hardly had time to get any images, hopefully this Thursday I will get chance to have a wander about and a catch up with whats about.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  3. En España tenemos una plaga de Avispa asiática (Vespa velutina) y me han ocupado varias cajas nido de paseriformes, todo un problema para sacar su avispero. Espero que los avispones que se han instalado en la caja de las lechuzas no sean una gran amenaza. Extraordinario reportaje John, la última foto de la lechuza en vuelo me ha encantado. Un abrazo desde España, todo lo mejor!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola German,
    Parece que tu avispa asiatica Vespa Velutina as tambian un avispon muy similar at te Hornet que invadia nuestra caja de lechuza comun afortunadamente los buhos lograron salir antas de que los Hornets los atacaran, los avispones han sido atacados y la caja as clara para que con suerte los buhos para volver.
    Todo le mejor de Englaterra John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John,
    This is the time when our little menthee go south. We pray nothing happens to them on this long journey!!!
    Africa and people are not just protecting birds.

    We are also annoyed to see hornets in the nests of birds. We have several traps because they come to eat our bees!

    Your pictures of the young heron are very, very beautiful, bravo John.

    Good evening and good weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nathalie,
      It is such a long journey for these young birds but it is obviously in the genes that this is what they must do.
      Apparently some of the Spanish birds stay in the nest area and all the Corsican bird never migrate. I always wish them all gods speed and I will see them in two years. Hopefully in West Africa they will be welcomed as it is becoming a tourist attraction. Also the Osprey Project has got local people on the ground helping to educate and to protect the birds.
      The Hornets are all dead and the box is all secure, the Barn Owls are still about as wee had a pellet under the small box last night, just hope they return when they realise they have gone. Sorry to hear about your bees, the gent who came to get rid of ours used a powder spray but that kills all insects but is not harmful to us or birds, no use to you.
      I'm pleased you enjoyed the Heron images, I have been trying to get some images of a juvenile Purple heron but whenever I turn up to see it, it has gone elsewhere.
      All the best and you also have a good weekend.
      John

      Delete
  6. Hi John,
    At least the hornets are european.
    I would hate it even more if they were asian...
    Some great pics here, I still would love to take a good Barn owl picture!
    All the best and enjoy your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Noushka,
      Ours were European but the gent who came to get rid of ours tells me we have Asian Hornets in the South of England, scary. German says they have problems with then in Spain.
      The Barn Owls are free to return to the box which hopefully they will do soon.
      We would all like to take a good Barn Owl picture but the nature of the bird makes it difficult, I can work at up to ISO 55000, but all summer I have no luck with the birds not breeding and not showing till late. I visited the Badgers again the other evening and saw two Barn Owls, finished with one mediocre image.
      Hope you are keeping well, all the best and a good weekend to you.
      John

      Delete
  7. Goodness John, it must have been horrible to see those hornets invading the owl box. So glad they made their escape. Reading your comments above, I am guessing the Asian hornets are more aggressive, like the African bee? I always am learning when I come here, thank you! Loved your Osprey photos and the other bird shots, and what an adorable sheep. Enjoy your week John, and all the best:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Denise,
    I have to admit at being horrified on seeing these hornets going into the owl box, but all is well again and I heard owls calling late last night on our land. so hopefully they are back in the box.
    The Asian hornets are apparently very aggressive, mind the ones in the box flew down to attack Rhys and myself.
    I was very taken with the sheep, got a bit of a look of a Panda.
    You have a good week, all the best. John

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi John,
    those hornets are really terrible animals !!!! Fortunately no dead barn owls. The nest boxes indeed but equally close.

    Beautiful pictures of the blue heron and also of the coot and his young.
    You have also been able to photograph the ospreys nicely. On the photo you can clearly see that the woman is bigger than the man.

    I find the sheep very special and nicely drawn.
    And last but not least, a familiar barn owl.

    Think about yourself.
    Kind regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Helma,
    Yes as you say Hornets are not friendly but luckily we had no dead Owls.. All the Hornest are dead and gone and the Barn Owls have been back but I have let them have some peace and not put the cameras on yet.
    The young Heron was about most of the afternoon trying to get at the young Moorhen but failed completely.
    The Ospreys are still with us but time for this year is running out and they will soon be away to Africa, lucky birds.
    I really found that sheep to be so beautiful, they are apparently a rare breed.
    And whenever possible I will show an image of a Barn Owl.
    You look after yourself and have a good week, all the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  11. The hornets are a serious matter, John. I notice that Richard Pegler just had a post about their frequency in his garden too. I suspect that there is little native control over them right now, and prey species have not had time to develop defence mechanisms. Maybe bee-eaters will spread into Britain and take care of some of them! In the meantime I hope that your Barn Owls return and that they are not under long term threat from these invaders.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi David,
    I must admit it was a real shock when I saw them entering the Large box,it was also with great relief to see that we didn't have dead Barn Owls on the box floor The only control in England at the moment is to employ somebody to come and destroy them for you.
    T me the worrying thing is that we already have Asian Hornets in the South of the country, they are really nasty beasts.
    The Owls are still about as we had a pellet under the large box this morning but I am leaving them well alone at the moment, I must not do anything to upset them
    Thanks for the visit, all the best to you both,
    John

    ReplyDelete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!