Translate

Wednesday 10 January 2018

A VISIT TO LYNDON AND THEN ONTO EYEBROOK RESERVOIR.


Whilst visiting the LROS bird reports I saw that a Great Northern Diver was showing at Teal Hide at Lyndon, so I decided to have a quick visit as the hide is very close to the car park. On arriving the wind was blowing very strongly, and a tree had been blown down in the car park but I thought get down to the hide and see what if anything was about.

It seems very odd to visit the centre when its all closed down for the Winter months, but it will soon be open and busy again with the return of the Ospreys.


 I could  see plenty of Tufted ducks, all a long distance away, and that was about it, no sign of the Northern Diver unfortunately. The odd other bird would appear so I decided to hang about for about three quarters of an hour but still nothing much turned up so eventually I decided to head towards Eyebrook Reservoir to see if anything was visible. 


I was most surprised as to how the reservoir has risen in level over the past two weeks but has still to go I would estimate another 1.2 metres which over the area is a considerable amount of water.








Little Egret, Teal Hide.



This bird suddenly appeared from the right of the hide, so it was a quick adjustment and shoot.










Tufted Drake, Teal Hide.

This image has been very heavily cropped, I however find Tufties to be a beautiful little duck.



Several groups of a similar number were sitting  well away from the hide.













Female Tufted Ducks, Teal Hide.

Distinguished by the white blaze round the bill, showing well on the bird to the right. 




Mallard Duck, Teal Hide.

Again another bird that just suddenly came into view, another quick change of settings.









View from Teal Hide towards Lagoon 3 at Egleton.



A 600 mm lens is not the best for taking landscape images as this, but it gives some idea of the distance the Tufted Ducks were away prior to me cropping.

The large house on top of the hill is Burley House, this has been converted into {very expensive} flats. {Not to be mixed up with Burghley House of horse trials fame that is near Stamford}







EYEBROOK RESERVOIR.

Its only a short drive from Lyndon to Eyebrook, my thoughts were to go and see if any Red kites would behave and come that bit closer. This did happen but the shots would have been directly into the sun and not even attempted.

The reservoir has risen in level and is full which has taken away the mud flats and lots of the normal birds appear to have moved on or gone onto the far side of the water. 





Buzzard Being Harried by a Raven.

On arrival I headed towards Hallaton looking for Red Kites only to see this encounter about 200 metres away to my right over the fields.










Unfortunately getting farther away, but with the Raven is still in pursuit. The Buzzard then dropped and eventually was out of sight behind a hedge, but must of then changed direction as it suddenly came back into view appearing over the hedge farther along the road, about 150 metres from me and landed on the top of a telegraph pole.








So I drove very slowly along the road keeping my fingers crossed the bird would not fly away, this image taken at about 100 metres away. It was a case of then trying to get that bit closer,  Buzzard are I find such a nervous bird and will not let you get that close.





 I got to within about 60 metres and turned the car sideways on so I was across the road, stuck the camera out of the window  and had a go. The bird was getting a real beating from the wind and this probably helped me as it was more concentrating on staying on the post than of me trying to get some images.







The bird moved a little squarer to where I was sitting, I think as to get a little respite from the wind more than me. I sat and watched it for about another five minutes before it eventually flew away. Luckily its a very little used road.




After this the clouds appeared and the light was awful for about an hour, then the sky cleared, but it started to get dark!!!!!!




Cock Pheasant, Our Garden.


This pheasant had a visit to the smaller Owl Box and sat on the roof for several minutes.
Update on the Barn Owls. We still have a bird in the large box that I believe to be the young male.


Thank you for your visit, I hope you have enjoyed it as much as I did in the getting of the images. 


11 comments:

  1. Beautiful sighting of the Buzzard, you were lucky John, at about 60 meters. Outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bob,
    It was a really lucky sighting to get both the Buzzard and Raven, I think this is the closest I have ever managed to get to a Buzzard, made my afternoon and the visit out worthwhile.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buen reportaje amigo mío, me han gustado mucho todas las fotos en especial la de la corneja negra persiguiendo al busardo. Un abrazo desde España, todo lo mejor amigo mío.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola German,
      gracias por la visita y me alegro de que hayas disfrutado. Ultimamente no ha sido el mejor clima para obtener imagenes decentes. El Cuervo y el Ratonero una gran ventaja para mi, solo demuestra que la paciencia es una virtud,
      Todo lo mejor de Englaterra. John

      Delete
  4. Some amazing flight shots, John, always the most difficult to achieve. But my favourite picture is of the pheasant on top of the owl box. I don't think I have ever seen a pheasant other than on the ground or in short bursts of flight. Have a great weekend coming up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,
      I really get a considerable amount of pleasure in getting flight shots. The pheasant on top of the box you saw the female Barn Owl emerge from was a shot I just could not miss out on. I think this is a first for me but watch this space, perhaps it will return, no shooting allowed around us so the bird is safe.
      All the best to you both, John

      Delete
  5. Great shots of buzzard on post, feathers ruffled and on full alert! , but really like the egret in flight and also the Mallard with it’s down turned wings just skimming the water. M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret,
      Says it was my comment but with a little fiddling about I have managed to transfer it across.
      You thought the Buzzard was OK when I sent it earlier but like you the Mallard is favourite.
      See you both soon.
      John

      Delete
  6. Hello John, some great captures. A Raven chasing a Buzzard is something you do not encounter every day. Just great.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!