Translate

Sunday 24 March 2019

A TRIP TO EYEBROOK AND THEN AN OSPREY RETURNS.
THEN MY FIRST OSPREY DUTY.


I decided to have a visit to the now open Egleton Centre to see what if anything was happening on the Osprey front.

On arrival I was met with a considerable amount of dark cloud and the wind was howling, after a visit in the centre I was informed we had the first bird back, the Manton Bay female had arrived that morning {the 14th}, she must have managed to get over the English Channel prior to the wind getting so bad and made the last section of her trip into the head wind.

Then on the 15th another female, 25/10 { site B female } returned so things are getting underway with the migrating birds.

After this I had a visit to Eyebrook as the heavens had opened at Rutland and I had no wish to get the camera or lens soaked so I took the easy option.

The wind at Eyebrook was just as strong and the only Red Kites I saw were gone past in seconds with a following wind so no chance of any images.

33/11 has returned on the 23 rd at 18.02 so we have a pair at Manton Bay.





Blue Tit.

This bird was in the same area I found last week where somebody had thrown some seed about on the ground and obviously had done the same today, thank you to whoever it was.





Goldfinch.

This image taken just before the bird flew down onto the ground to snatch some seed. 




Chaffinch.

Several of these birds were having a feast on the seeds, thank you to who ever put the seed down. 








Dunnock.

This little beauty came only onto the side of the area where the other birds were feeding.






Marsh Tit.

I had moved up to the Bridge that crosses the Eyebrook that feeds the Reservoir and the bird feeders, I am not keen on taking images on the feeders but more on the birds the feeders attract.



Long-tailed Tit.

This singleton bird had several trips in onto the feeder and the only way to get an image was to take it whilst the bird was on the feeder, sorry about the feeder.




Back again but this time with a couple of friends.









MY LONG AWAITED FIRST OSPREY DUTY OF  THE SEASON.

I had my first Osprey duty on Thursday the 21 st and was on duty with my friend Sheelagh, we had an interesting and reasonably busy afternoon but still no return of the Manton Bay male Osprey 33/11. As I reported in my previous post the female returned on the 14th and must have battles through wind.

We at the moment have seven returned birds { comprising of two males and five females } so things are getting well underway, but it is still early and one of the satellite tracked birds has still to leave his island of the coast of Guinea Bissau.  The other bird {S1} left earlier in the week.


We had a couple of intruder Osprey into the bay during the afternoon which got our female into action  to see them away.







Female Osprey {Maya}, Waderscrape Hide.

She is thought to be an unringed Scottish bird and has been the Manton Bay female for several years, this is where she was sitting when I took over for my duty. She hopefully won't have to wait too long for the return of her mate.
I have for the first time in several years checked the distance from the hide to the nest and found it to be in excess of 300 metres so not easy to get the lens to focus on the bird. 





Then after a while she flew onto the nest.




She then had a fly around Manton Bay for a stretch of the wings, she has a very ragged trailing edge to her wings so this will make it easier to pick her out in flight.













Then we had our first intruder, a good height above her.





Intruder Osprey that through the scope had a blue ring but no chance of reading the ring number.




After this excursion to send away the intruder she then returned to the nest.















She then after a short time decided to go on a fishing trip as no record of any fishing was in the book. She could however have eaten before the first duty of the day.





Here with the fruits of her fishing trip, a nice Rainbow trout which she devoured sat on the T post. We have to monitor and time the birds when they leave the nest and she was only away for sixteen minutes.




Greylag Goose, Waderscrape Hide.

This Goose flew in and landed in the reeds to the front of the hide.













At this point the bird was in excess of fourty metres away.






Canada Goose, Waderscrape Hide.

Again this bird was about fourty metres away and after the Greylag arrived, it attacked it and sent it packing.






Having sent the Greylag on its way he decided to have a quick bathe.






Couldn't resist this head shot.






Reed Bunting { Male }, Waderscrape Hide.

We had several birds about singing but this was the only reasonable image, all the rest were buried either in the reeds or bushes.





Wren, Waderscrape Hide.

This little bird was darting about all afternoon but would not stay still for long enough for an image. It eventually landed on this reed which when checked was in excess of thirty metres away, not easy for the camera to focus on.





Thank you for your visit, I hope you have enjoyed it as much as I did in the getting of the images.


Reg had sent me a super image of his Tawny Owl but every time I brought it across  onto the blog it cancelled out all the other images, having had to do the post twice I'm sorry Reg but no image, I could not stand doing the post for a third time.


 I was so pleased to have a phone call from my friend whilst on duty and to hear you have at last managed to get home, 33/11 {which is what you really phoned to ask about is still not onsite but I'm sure he will arrive in the next few days.}
You just do as the doctors and nurses tell you and then you will be able to return and see these wonderful birds yourself.

14 comments:

  1. A wonderful birds are made. The Osprey is so lovely, flying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,
      Makes a change for me with the smaller birds but this I'm afraid will all change with the return of the Ospreys, they are such wonderful birds to watch in flight.
      All the best, John

      Delete
  2. What a splendid series of portraits of the songbirds, John. They look like they could be framed in a gallery and attract a wide range of admirers. As for the Ospreys, congratulations on the return of a couple of the big females. I have been keeping an eye open here but so far no sign of them. Won't be too long before they return, however. All the best to you and Veg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David,
    I have been so lucky with someone throwing seeds on the ground fro these small birds and I have been able to cash in on the proceeds of this, I just park on the other side of the road.
    I find this time of the year to be magical anyway and this is only increased with the return of the Ospreys, they really are such amazing birds. We will be having daily returns for a while yet.
    Lets hope you see you first return soon.
    All the best to you and Miriam, John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola John!!.. You took lovely photographs of these birds. So nice, so colorful!. Love specially the Osprey and Reed bunting..
    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Ana,
      For a change for me I took some images of some small birds and really enjoyed it but it is so good to have the Ospreys returning.
      You have a good week and all the best, John

      Delete
  5. Hello John, First so great to see one of the Ospreys is back home. Such joy that the season has started again. The photos you took of all the little birds and Goose are wonderful but I am in the mood for Ospreays. Sorry :)
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Roos,
    It is so good to have these wonderful birds returning, we are up to eight on site today.
    I am like you and in the Osprey mood, its like family returning from a long holiday when the birds come back.
    I will be having another visit very soon, must get a top up on the birds.
    The male is nest building at a great speed so hopefully we will then have some eggs.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous photos John, always so sharp and clear, a wonderful variety. The Osprey in flight is magnificent and lovely to see on the nest. I especially love the Greylag Goose as I don't get to see them that often, but still enjoy the Canada Goose as they are everywhere here and I never get tired of them. Thanks for always sharing and enjoy the rest of your week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Denise,
    Thank you for such a positive comment, I have a wonderful time whilst getting the images and enjoy putting together the blog.
    Its so good to have these wonderful Osprey back to the reservoir and I will be monitoring progress on a regular basis.
    I always enjoy the Greylag and we like you have a plentiful supply of Canada geese but they are always good to see.
    Thank you for the comment and you have a good week.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good evening, John,
    Great series of photos with the passerines ! My favorites are the goldfinch and the chaffinch. Nuptial plumage are wonderful
    Nice visit to the Osprey !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nathalie,
    I have been so lucky in finding an area where someone has been placing seed and I can find birds nearly all the time. Good to have the Osprey back and lets hope we have a good and successful breeding season.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, beautiful beautiful ....... the blue tit and the goldfinch, common finches, the heggemus, the glossy head and the tail tit you have been able to "catch" nicely :-)

    Then the osprey and I saw all your newest post with the osprey and the female on the nest. You show beautiful flight images.

    You could also capture the geese up close and that is really great. As a finishing touch, a soot bunting and a winter bunny :-)

    Dear greetings, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Helma,
    Hope the move all went to plan,
    I was lucky with the song birds that some kind person has been feeding them and leaving seed on the ground, I just drive up and sit on the opposite side of the road with the car window open and bingo.
    Its wonderful to have the Osprey back, we are up to 21 returned birds and rising.
    I'm back on duty this Thursday so fingers crossed for more birds.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!