Translate

Sunday 10 June 2018

THREE TRIPS OUT, EYEBROOK RESERVOIR, CALKE PARK AND AN OSPREY DUTY.


On Thursday the 31st of May, I decided to have a visit to Eyebrook Reservoir as the weather was not that promising. On leaving home things did not look that bad and by the time I had got closer to Leicester the sun was showing.

However the closer I got to the reservoir the mist got thicker and on arrival it was more like an Autumn day. So I settled myself in for a long wait to see if the sun would make it to shine, this it did eventually late in the afternoon. During the visit I had a visit from five Ospreys but not until the sun arrived did I manage any decent images.


EYEBRROOK RESERVOIR.
31st May.




Lesser Celandine Flower.

This taken at a distance of 10 metres with two very small beetles in the flower.




Canada Goose.

This bird plus another had a quick fly past, so I always enjoy flight shots.




Male Osprey 03/09.

Whilst on site I saw five Osprey but this one eventually returned when the sun was out. He is at the moment feeding young at one of the nearby nest sites.



At least I managed some reasonable images of this bird.











Ring number clearly visible, what a wonderful bird.




False Bombardier Beetle  {I think}

This beetle suddenly appeared on the top of one of the concrete fence post about fifteen metres from where I was with my camera and lens on the tripod, so it was a quick about turn and see what happens, not bad for a 600mm lens.








CALKE PARK.
6th June.

Doc Martin the secretary of our local bird club arranged a Badger watch evening at Calke Park, a large parkland area not far from home.

So I arranged to collect my friend Rhys from his house at 18.30 hrs and we headed away together for what we hoped would be a wonderful evening. The Park closes the gates at 19.30 hrs so its  a case of get in before the gates close and as we didn't expect to leave until late go out through the electric gate.

Bill Cove the warden eventually arrived with a very lively Border Collie that ran round the car park like something on a mission. I thought this does not bode well but how wrong you can be.

Firstly Bill pointed out a Buzzard nest about 240 metres away, we had however seen one of the adults on a hunting mission earlier.

Whilst on the walk we several birds, then Bill said be quiet from here on and then it was away you go Bess and the Collie went walking along the path to the front of us, she eventually turned to the left and sat down and pointed with her nose, she obviously could see nothing due to the height of the undergrowth but Bill said she's got a Badger, this little dog was amazing and stunned us all with her wonderful sense of smell in finding the Badgers.

By the end of the session, Rhys estimated we had seen at least a dozen Badgers, unfortunately none came as close as we had wished but at least we had seen some, again unfortunately I managed no reasonable images, but we have been invited back anytime we wish so I will have another trip very soon, we all thanked Bill for his time and his offer for us toreturn, I must admit I asked another favour, when I return, could I please borrow his dog, this unfortunately appeared to fall on deaf ears.




Buzzard, From Car Park on arrival.

At the time we saw this bird Bill had not arrived so when he did and pointed out the nest it was obvious where this bird had come from.







It very slowly circled it way towards us before disappearing to the left over a small valley and lake.   



A very graceful slow flight. 



Buzzard Nest as pointed out by Bill.


On checking the nest was 240 metres from the car park with two young in the nest.






Little Owl.


The first Little Owl I have seen in a considerable time. Awful image but had to include it having seen so few of late. Taken at ISO 12800.








OSPREY DUTY.
7th June.

I was on duty for the afternoon shift, I was going to be with just Sheelagh as Barry has had and eye operation earlier in the week . He was complaining it was still very blurred and so returned to the clinic where he was told they had put the new lens on a piece of the cataract that had not been removed, so Sheelagh didn't arrive until about 14.45 hrs, I had a very busy time but with very nice and interested people so all was well.

The youngsters are really coming on well and have started wing flapping to build up muscle and are being very well fed by mum with 33 bring supplies of fish as and when required, two were delivered whilst I was on duty.

We had several visits from a pair of Water Rail and two Juveniles through the afternoon but they were so quick I never managed an image other than a tail entering the reeds.




Common Spotted-orchid, Path down to the Hides.

After leaving the centre on my way to Waderscrape Hide and my duty, I spotted this beauty at the side of the track and just could not resist taking an image.




Female Osprey keeping a watchful eye  on the young in the nest.

This was the view when I first arrived in the hide, the male was missing and the female watching the young. Then we suddenly had four Osprey fly into the bay and the female was immediately into the air leaving the young very vulnerable to attack.
 
 



Awful images but terrible light. These two intruders appeared to leave very quickly but the other two were hanging about even with the female pursuing them.

 
 



Then from where I'm not sure 33 arrived and saw off the remaining two intruders.



33 flying round Manton Bay after seeing away the intruders.



 Reed Bunting, Waderscrape Hide.

This bird has already lost some of its colour, this is something I have been told happens at this time of the year.







Young Moor Hen.

These young birds were about the channels still, one of the birds I saw on my last duty.





Fledgling Sedge Warblers.


Suddenly we had a commotion in one of the channels to the front of the hide and these two birds were having a serious fight. It carried on for about two minutes with the intention of one drowning the other.

 
 













This poor little drenched bird made it back to the reeds using an over wing action. Then it sat to dry out.





Thank you for your visit, I hope you have enjoyed it as much as I did in the getting of the images.




20 comments:

  1. Looks like very successful outings for things to photograph and how super it is to see them. Thank you John and enjoy your week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denise,
    Would have loved to get some images of the Badgers, I will return and try again.
    The Ospreys are always wonderful to see, you must have seen some on your recent trip.
    You enjoy your week.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look forward to the Badgers one day John. I believe I did see an Osprey one time but didn't have great success with many bird photos. We need an expert like you along :) Have a great week and all the best to you too :) Denise

      Delete
    2. Hi Denise,
      I intend to have a return visit very soon and hopefully see the Badgers again, this time with some images. The Ospreys are such a beautiful bird that still never fail to amaze me with the distances they fly.
      We had a visit from the Osprey expert from America and he monitors the birds at Marthas Vineyard, 22,000 nests, a few more than we have !!!!!!!
      Thanks for the second visit, all the best, John

      Delete
    3. That's very interesting about the chap from Martha's Vineyard, a place I would love to go visit one day by the way. 22,00 nests? That's amazing! All the best John :)

      Delete
    4. Hi Denise,
      All we can muster is 8 nests at the moment, we really must try harder!!!
      All the best, John

      Delete
  3. Fantastic birds, with loads of Ospreys John.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bob,
    Sorry for the amount of Osprey images at the moment, unfortunately it won't be that long before they return South.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John.
    Wow what an exceptionnel post This day !!!
    Your pictures of birds of prey in flight are superb. Even without the sun!
    Yes the ospreys are really splendid and I would like to see so many individuals.
    It's amazing to see these two birds fighting in the water. I've never seen that!!! Thank you
    Happy birding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nathalie,
      I have had a good and lucky time with the birds of prey, the Buzzard was a real bonus shot, such a great bird.
      Ospreys are at the moment my favourite, even after all the years I have helped in monitoring them, they never fail than to hold my attention.
      Also a first with me with the fighting youngsters, gladly they both survived.
      All the best, John

      Delete
  6. Hi John,
    your photos of the flying osprey are really good and beautiful!
    The ring number is indeed very good to see. You could also photograph the buzzard in flight and that is really an art to do. you have succeeded.
    I still see a beetle and finally a little owl :-)
    I have only seen one more of the little owls.
    The reed bunting is also very beautiful. I find the fight in eth water very special to see !! You see that differently! Great that you could capture this.

    Kind regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Helma,
    I was so pleased to get an image of a Little Owl at last even, if the quality was poor, they have been so difficult of late to find.
    The Ospreys are such a delight to photograph, I find them such wonderful birds, and as you say to also get the ring number, I saw the same bird again yesterday.
    It was fascinating to see the young Sedge Warblers fighting, something I have never seen before.
    All the best from England, John

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful!!! What a fantastic selection. Beautiful buzzard images , the drama of the water fight captured so well and glad no tragedy.
    The reed bunting and young moor hen lovely shots. Very enjoyable viewing all round. M

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Margaret,
    I had a super time getting this set of images, the Buzzard was a bonus on the Badger walk. The Osprey was a lucky shot when the sun came out.
    The fight in the water appears to have entertained everybody and as you say no tragedy.
    All the best and see you soon. John

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!!! Un reportaje extraordinario, me han gustado mucho todas las fotos pero en especial la barnacla canadiense en vuelo y sobre todas las cosas la lucha en el agua de los Acrocephalus schoenobaenus, una secuencia espectacular. Enhorabuena John, un fuerte abrazo desde España. Todo lo mejor!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Joihn!!!.. Excellent series of images .. Love all the birds.. Congratulations and greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana,
      Thanks for the visit, I had a really good week with some good subjects which is always a good help.
      All the best, John

      Delete
  12. Hola German.
    Gracias por la visita, siempre disfruto obteniendo imagenes de uelo ya sea de gansos canadienses, halcones o aguilas pescadoras.
    Tuve una noche maravillosa para los tejones y he vuelto por mi cuenta nuevamente desde entonces.
    Todo lo mejor de Inglaterrs, John.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello John: some of your flight shots are truly amazing. In this collection those of the Buzzard are phenomenal but the one that takes the prize, for me, is the Canada Goose - not that I am biased, of course! The detail and precision on this shot, the sharpness and clarity are nothing short of remarkable. Great job! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi David,
    I must admit I always enjoy taking flight shots and of course you are not 'biased' towards the Canada Goose.
    I had some truly marvelous visits out and for once the birds came that little bit closer which is always helpful.
    The buzzard was a bonus as we had gone on a walk to see some Badgers and we saw this bird at the car park.
    I always enjoy taking images of the Ospreys. Our birds have done remarkably well this year.
    Thanks for the praise, from the David, Franc camp this is really something.
    All the best to you both, John

    ReplyDelete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!