Translate

Monday 9 April 2018



WHAT A DIFFERENCE HAVING SOME


                ''SUN''



For my Thursday trip I decided as the sun was shining to have a visit to the Egleton Centre and have a try for the Ospreys in the sun, something that has been a very rare commodity of late. Also I am on duty next week so I thought I would make the best of a look around at my leisure.

So I got underway from home for about 12.00 hrs and headed directly for Rutland, arriving at the centre at about 13.00 hrs. How different it all appeared with people sitting outside on the benches having lunch enjoying the sun, I spent a few minutes with Anya as she was also outside having lunch and had an update on the activities with the Ospreys around the reserve.

I then got underway down the site calling in at all the hides through to Waderscrape Hide, I should have seen a Slavonian Grebe and two Great Northern Divers at Deepwater Hide, but with three people in the hide with scopes, non of these birds were about.

Luckily I had put my boots on as the path between the hides was very muddy but a route I prefer rather than the stoned path as it keeps you closer to the waters edge and the birds, 

Next I had a quick visit into Tufted Duck hide where I only saw two swans at about 35 metres away.

So onto Waderscrape Hide and a quick chat with the two ladies on duty, a check on which bird was where then onto Shallow Water hide for a leisurely afternoon. 








Little Egret, Shallow Water Hide.

This single Little Egret was minding its own business and happily feeding in amongst the reeds, this image I took when first arriving in the Hide. Then two of the local hooligan Egrets arrived and the following ensued.






I was here doing catch up as I missed the first encounter and by this time one of the intruders had already departed.




It appears one intruder bird was trying to land on top of the first.





One bird well airborne but both with bills open and ready to attack. 



As is evident the encounter became heated and both birds really attacked each other.






A locking of bills. 



Both birds airborne again. 



This all happened just over fifty metres from me so all the images are heavily cropped. 






And then after about ten minutes it was all over and done with and both birds headed across the bay towards the Osprey nest.






Female Osprey, Shallow Water Hide.

As I arrived, 33/11 took over incubation duties and the female flew onto the 'T 'post for a quick preen.

Shallow Water Hide to the 'T 'post measures 240 metres.



The female then had a fly about, here showing to the left of the nest whilst 33 sits on the eggs.

 
 



She approaches the nest having flown around the bay and the field behind the nest, 33 keeping an eye on her to see what is happening. 



Just about to land and you can just make out 33 head below her. 












And down, what a difference the sun makes in quality. Very heavily cropped images. 



The she flew onto the camera post where she was for the remainder of my visit.







Mute Swan, Male, Tufted Duck Hide.

A pair of swans were feeding at about 35 metres away.



Here with a bill full of reed stems.



Juvenile Mute Swan, Male, Shallow Water Hide.

Two juveniles swam across the front of the hide, unfortunately being chased. 



Mute Swan, Male, Shallow Water Hide.

By this heavy weight showing full battle colours chased away both juveniles before they could get any closer to me, shame.  



Mute Swan, Male, Shallow Water Hide.

I then heard some flapping of wings on water to my right, looking out I could see this swan heading towards me.

 
 






Pleased to have caught the water reflections on the underside.
 
 



Suddenly decided to land short of the hide, I was hoping it would fly by. 



This pair were doing a circular dance together. 



Great Crested Grebe, Shallow Water Hide.

Normally at this time of the year we get Grebes coming close to the hide but not this week, usually we have nests close by.






Mallard Drake, Shallow Water Hide.

This bird came for me relatively close, I could not resist taking an image.
They really are a beautiful duck.





Thank you for your visit, I hope you have enjoyed it as much as I did in the getting of the images. 




21 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful, the Little Egrets are fighting over something, fantastic movements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,
      I had a wonderful afternoon with these birds, doubled in pleasure having the sun.
      Sorry for the late reply but its the first time I have been on the computer since I posted.
      All the best, John

      Delete
  2. Hi John,
    The sun tickles everyone, the birds too !
    You photographed beautiful scenes with the egrets and bravo for the arrival of the swan.
    The mallard duck has a sexy look lol it is superb.
    Take you care John and happy birding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nathalie,
      The sun was wonderful to see.
      I am a lover of swans and enjoy taking images of anything in flight.
      You look after yourself and happy and lucky birding to you.
      All the best, John

      Delete
  3. Always a pleasure to come here and see these beautiful birds John. Awesome photography! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Denise,
    I'm afraid its has been somewhat chaotic at home hence the late replies.
    So pleased you enjoyed your visit, I had a glorious afternoon taking the images.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries John, life must take priority. So glad your afternoon was a great one. All the best to you too and have a happy weekend :)

      Delete
  5. Wonderful sequences of Egrets, Swan and Ospreys!! The Mallard is so handsome with his vivid colours. Enjoyed last week ‘s blog too. M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Margaret,
    Sorry for the late reply but as you will understand I have been visiting.
    I had a wonderful afternoon with the birds and sun, something that has been very lacking since. I had to miss this afternoons duty but will hopefully soon catch up.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  7. Todas las fotos son realmente maravillosas pero las de las Egretta garzetta luchando son extraordinarias, me han gustado mucho. Enhorabuena amigo mío, mis mejores deseos desde España. Un fuerte abrazo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola German,
      Es la primera vez que veo a Egrets peleando, se mantuvo durante un tiempo razonable y ninguno termino como vencedor.
      Tuve una torde super soleada y me relaje para ver pajares.
      Lo siento per la respuesta tardia.
      Tod lo mejor de Inglaterra. John

      Delete
  8. Hi John,
    wonderful to see the little egret :-)
    You have also been able to photograph the action photos of the fight. Very nice to see and succeeded very well! The sea eagle could also be photographed very nicely and clearly. Very nice that he used the stick that the camera is attached to as a lookout post hihi ...... The mute swans of nice close and also beautiful sharpness and detail. Grebe and duck also great.

    Cordial greetings,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helma,
      Thank you for the visit and sorry for the late reply but I'm having to do hospital visiting at the moment.
      I enjoyed the action with the Egrets, something I have never seen before.
      The Ospreys are really beautiful birds, the camera post is a special lookout position.
      Love Mute Swans, they are so graceful.
      Just wish some birds would come that bit closer, I always seem to be cropping images really hard.
      All the best to you and yours, John

      Delete
  9. Very nice set of pictures, John!
    Egrets are very aggressive and fights break out quite easily when there are several birds in an area.
    It always gives a great opportunity at lively photos!
    The Ospreys are a bit far but also are wonderful to observe.
    The swan pictures are a must :)
    all the best my friend and take care

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Noushka,
    I gad a wonderful sunny and relaxing afternoon with all the birds, I mostly visited for the Ospreys but as you say they are such a distance away but even so hopefully soon I will get some closer. Eyebrook reservoir is where I tend to see them closer.
    Mute Swans in fact Swans in general are so graceful to watch.
    Have a wonderful trip and hopefully we will see some results blogwise.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi John,
    I hope that you are fine !
    See you soon in your site

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nathalie,
      Sorry for no blogs but I have had my wife in hospital so have been unable to get out with the camera.
      Thank you for the interest and concern.
      John

      Delete
  12. Looks like a few of those birds were in an argumentative mood, John!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,
      Its the first time I have ever seen Egrets having a fight, Noushka says they are like this.
      All the best, John

      Delete
  13. Hi again John: I just gathered from your reply to Nathalie above that Veg has been in hospital. I hope that she is back at home and all is well. All the best to both of you, David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,
      Thank you for the concern, she was in hospital for ten days but has returned home and recovering well.
      All the best, John and Veg

      Delete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!