Translate

Thursday 1 March 2018

OUT AGAIN IN THE SUN.
THIS CANNOT LAST.


The first images are the remaining images from my trip last week to the Egleton Reserve.

This week I had my normal trip out on Thursday afternoon but I had to visit the Volunteer Centre, which unfortunately took a reasonable chunk out of my time out, it also meant I had to drive straight through to Rutland and miss out the Little Owl sites so as to arrive in time. My thoughts being I would hopefully call by on my homeward journey.

Having eventually managed to leave the centre I headed for Eyebrook Reservoir even though the sun was shining the forecast said we had a reasonable chance of rain so I decided to stay as close as possible to the car, also it was not over warm, that is for us softies.

On arriving I had drive round the outer route through Stockerston and heading towards Horninghold village looking for any Red Kites that were about. I only saw the one and as it would have been a shot virtually straight into the sun, I didn't bother in stopping.

So after this it was a case of a drive around the reservoir to see what was about and also look for anybody I recognised to ask what they had seen. I spent about one hour in the bunker hides and had a reasonable afternoon and then headed back towards home passing through the Little Owl sites where I saw two birds.

As I said above this cannot last, we are at the moment in an awful cold blast and have had several blizzards during the day, As I post this blog we are in the throes of a full blown blizzard.    Oh happy days?????




RUTLAND WATER.
EGLETON RESERVE.
15th February.






Mallard Drake, Grebe Hide, Lagoon 2.

As I have said previously, these birds being so common we tend to ignore them but they as such an underrated duck.





Mallard Drake, Shoveler Hide, Lagoon 3.


This bird was in a small area of water away to the left of the hide.





Snipe, Shoveler Hide, Lagoon 3.

Another gent in the hide, whom I have met on a previous occasion, asked if I had seen the Snipe amongst the reeds  on the island. my reply being I could not even see the island where I was sitting, so he said I'm away if you want to come in my place you are welcome, so this I did, but the Snipe kept themselves well hidden and took me so time to finish with some images.





You can just make out the two birds in this image, you can see the problem with reeds and grass.





Back to the single bird, after this I put my attention onto other things.





Northern Pintail Drake, Shoveler Hide, Lagoon 3.

Several birds were visible from the hide but mostly a long way out on the lagoon. Eventually some birds came that much closer so I had a try for them. Still about 70 metres away.

  




Whilst feeding they appear to use the tail as a counterbalance.






This bird then swam across the front of the hide in the main body of the lagoon with slightly rougher water.





 Pair of Pintail Ducks, Shoveler Hide, Lagoon 3.

This pair then swam in closer.







Duck decides to have a feed whilst the Drake looks on.






Another bird that is on my favourite list for Ducks.





After this they all flew out into the main body of the Lagoon, even farther than when I first saw them.





Wigeon, Shoveler Hide, Lagoon 3.


This group of Wigeon then flew into an area about 150 metres from the hide.





This bird split away from the group and came that bit closer.





Shelduck Drake, Shoveler Hide, Lagoon 3.


My luck was staying with me as these birds flew in and then swam past the hide, not over close but close enough for some reasonable images, I wish the Smew had been as close.







What a beautiful head.





Second Drake.





Single Duck swimming as fast as possible to catch up with the two Drakes.






Shoveler Duck, Osprey Hide, Lagoon 2.

This pair were feeding in a small bay away from the main body of the Lagoon.




Shoveler Drake, Osprey Hide.










EYEBROOK RESERVOIR.
22nd February.





Goldeneye Drake, Lower Bunker Hide.

This bird was a good distance away from the hide but also upon seeing me it decided to go farther away still. I could see another three but they were even farther away.



Greylag Goose, Lower Bunker Hide.


A goose I have always thought to be a delight., they descend from the Asian Swan Goose.









Great Black-backed gull, Lower Bunker Hide.

This huge gull is a formidable predator, regular victims include other seabirds as well as rabbits and rodents, and with a wingspan of almost 1.6 metres, it has very little that is going to bother it.
This bird sat well out in the reservoir and only decided to fly when I went to take an image.
They have no hesitation in attacking the Osprey in the summer months with the intention of stealing the fish.



Wigeon, Higher Bunker Hide.


This is a problem with Eyebrook, the ducks tend to swim close to the shore and invariably get partially obscured by reeds.



Robin, Stoke Dry.


Stood chatting to a pal when this bird appeared, this is a gent I used to see when I visited the Short Eared Owls when I fed the Robins with Hobnob biscuits, in fact he was the gent who took the image for me of the Robin feeding on Hobnob biscuits in my hand, so his first comment was "give him a Hobnob".




Buzzard Between Little Owl Sites Nos. 1 and ; 2.

Taking my return trip through the Little Owl Sites I came across this bird sat in a tree, it stopped in place whilst I stopped the car and got this image and then was gone.



Little Owl Site No. 2.


I decided before arriving at the site if I could see a bird in the hole I would drive by and turn around as I could then get an image from the drivers side of the car. Drove by and could see nothing but turned around, returned and sat up in the tree not bothered by me at all was this beauty.



Little Owls Site No. 6.


As I approached this site I could see this bird enjoying the last of the suns rays. I'm sure as soon as the sun goes down this bird goes into the barn to get the warmth from the cattle.


Thank you for your visit, I hope you have enjoyed your visit as much as I did in the getting of the images.




BARN OWL UPDATE.

I am still finding pellets under the large box but even with the cameras on I cannot see any birds, in this box the adults tend to roost either on the top of the entrance baffle or a roof joist.

If the weather is as the forecast, I will put some food out every evening.




16 comments:

  1. Hello John, you have done enough for one day. I do love your photos of the Snipe, fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bob,
    Yes it was a busy but excellent afternoon, what with the Smew and then the other ducks including our "overlap" of the Northern Pintail.
    The Snipe were being really difficult and hiding in the reeds, only showing for very short periods.
    Hope the weather is better with you than up in the midlands, I haven't taken an image for over a week.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello John.
    You're right ! Mallards are very beautiful duck with amazing colors.
    Pintail make me laught when he swings in the water with his long tail.
    Others pictures are wonderfull.
    Have a good week-end

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nathalie,
    Mallard are as I said such an underrated duck with the glossy head and so colorful.
    Pintail are another favourite of mine.
    Glad you enjoyed the visit. Thought your Barbet was a beauty.
    Hope you have some decent weather, it has been awful in England.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;-) Yes a good weather and I work in my garden for the spring :)
      Bye

      Delete
  5. Hi Nathalie,
    You were out in the garden getting ready for spring, I was out clearing snow.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos John!
    The Pintail is a gorgeous and elegant duck and I appreciate the Lo's as last but noy least pics!
    Ah the weather.... we are having another dull week but the following one I am off to the Atlantic shores hoping for good opportunities!
    All the best and enjoy your week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Noushka,
    Thank you for the visit, I must admit I had a most enjoyable time getting these images.
    The Pintail is amongst my favourite of ducks, they are beautifully marked but I still think the Smew is probably tops.
    We have at last got rid of our really cold weather, nothing like David gets in Canada but horrible to us. As I write this reply its pouring with rain, mind better than snow but will our land ever dry out.
    Hope you have good visit to the Atlantic coast, look forward to seeing the results.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful selection of images making up a great blog. The shots of Mallard , Pintail and Shelducks favourites. Glad your friendly Robin has re-appeared along with Little Owl. M

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Margaret,
    Great you have made it, hopefully on your first attempt.
    Glad you enjoyed the blog, Shelducks are a beautiful bird that nest in disused fox holes.
    Yes also good to get an image of the Robin, I had one with me this afternoon whilst in the garden.
    See you soon, setting up at Crufts tomorrow,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi John,
    First of all, thanks for your sweet message.

    I see a lot of beautiful ducks here and I especially like the pintail. The shoveler is also such a nice duck. Your first pictures of the wild duck show you how beautiful the wild ducks are :-) The snipe is also funny to see. The shelduck you also very beautiful and also clear and sharp on the photo can put. In addition, many other ducks.

    The birds are amazing. I love the little little owl and you could "catch" it with your camera, we have a whole bunch of long-eared owls here and I'm still in a post.

    Very nice evening.
    Cordial greetings,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Helma,
    Thank you for taking the time for a visit, you and your family have had an awful time and it is not going to go away overnight.
    Glad you are also starting to get out with your camera, it was a delight to see your post.
    Pintails are a delightful duck as are the Shelduck.
    You are lucky to have the Long-eared Owls, would love an afternoon with them.
    You and your family look after yourselves.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi John,
    Thank you for your comments.

    Also in France, Egyptian goose were classified as harmful to other birds (like many birds, example Sacred Ibis) and after a few years people realize that they are not harmful. Many species are considered harmful before they are studied. France is stupid for that.
    Maybe there's a way to make them live with the ospreys ?

    Have a good sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Nathalie,
    I have enjoyed my visits to your blog, you have had a wonderful trip.
    The Egyptian geese have been destructive to one Osprey nest, two years ago they destroyed the eggs.
    As a rule the male Osprey gets rid of the birds, sometimes very roughly.!!!!!
    Thanks for the visits, John

    ReplyDelete
  14. Snipe can be frustratingly difficult to photograph but every so often they will come out in the open and give you great opportunities. It would be no fun if it was easy all the time, John!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi David,
    The problem I find with snipe is in finding them, they blend into the reeds so well, but at least I found this pair, {found them with my white stick}.
    As you say if you always saw what you went for it would soon become boring, plus you can always get the unexpected visitor.
    All the best to you both, John

    ReplyDelete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!