Translate

Sunday 28 January 2018

WE HAVE HAD SOME AWFUL WEATHER THEN HOPEFULLY A CHANGE, BUT NOT FOR LONG.


The weather with us has been dire and I have had three trip out with a mixture of very dark clouds, rain, sleet and snow then eventually some sun but this was interrupted by a very sharp downpour of rain.

My first trip out was to Rutland Water on the 11th of January for a try to see the Smew of which fourteen had been recorded as being on Lagoon 4.  So I headed for the Volunteer Centre to cut down the walk to the lagoon, parked the car and had a quick chat and got under way to Plover Hide, where no Smew were evident. I then got under way to visit Sandpiper Hide to see if I could locate them, but meeting up with a gent walking the other way from Sandpiper Hide who told me they were not anywhere to be seen from the hide I turned round and headed towards Eyebrook Reservoir. The light was awful and it had started to drizzle with rain, so it was a quick visit to Eyebrook and then onto home.





Little Owl Site No. 6.

Having visited this site on numerous occasions, it was excellent to pass by and see this bird sat in its normal position keeping out of the wind and rain. 




Red Kite Between Little Owl Sites 6 and 7.

Took this image quickly in the hope the bird would come closer, this was not to be as it circled and went farther away. 




RUTLAND WATER.

LYNDON CENTRE. 



This was my second visit out on the 18th of January and I decided to visit the Lyndon Reserve as some waders had been reported at Shallow Water Hide  so after a steady walk down the site in the sun!!! calling in at Deepwater Hide, Tufted Duck Hide, Waderscrape Hide and eventually Shallow Water Hide. Very little was seen unfortunately so I decided to head back to the car park and then onto Eyebrook. The sun was still shining but by the time I arrived it had clouded over and started raining, so I parked in my normal spot and the rain changed to sleet and then we had about 20 minutes of very heavy snow which eventually turned back to sleet. This eventually stopped but by this time even though the sun was showing on the horizon, the light was going and so I decided to go home. 




Osprey Nest, Waderscrape Hide.

Still empty and awaiting the return of the cameras, the nest and cameras will be looked at in the next week or two. Its not that long before we will have the birds returning hopefully for another successful season.



Cormorant, Tufted Duck Hide.


This tree is normally covered in the birds but only two were visible today.





Red Kite, Near Stockerston Village.

Awful image but shows an orange wing tag which indicates this bird was tagged in Yorkshire.








A QUICK VISIT TO THE LYNDON CENTRE AND THEN ONTO EYEBROOK.

I decided to have another visit to the Lyndon Centre as it was reported that Goldeneye were showing at Teal Hide. I drove over to Rutland and passed the Little Owl sites but again none were seen unfortunately.

Teal Hide is very close to the centre so on arrival I was in the hide in a matter of minutes and upon opening the shutters I could see some Goldeneye but about 100 metres away but with the noise of the shutter opening they were all moving away from the hide so it was a case of sit tight and wait to see if they came any closer. initially only one Drake came any closer but never as close as I would have wished.

So after about half an hour I decided to have a visit over to Eyebrook as a Merlin had been reported the previous afternoon, again no report for me. I have never seen a Merlinn but as they say 'live in hope'.

The sun was out for a reasonable time but rain returned later in the afternoon, will this weather ever pick up.

One good point from all the rain and bad weather, Rutland Water has really come up in level so hopefully by the time the Ospreys return it will be full.
  




Mallard Drake, Teal Hide.


This bird swam by about 50 metres away whilst I waited for the Goldeneye to decide to come closer.






Goldeneye Drake, Teal Hide.

This bird was the first to start to venture back towards me and this image was taken whilst the bird was in excess of 100 metres away.






A little closer and a stretch and shake.






This taken at about 70 metres, I think they are a really delightful duck. No signs of any courtship displays, give it another month. 






A second bird then came in that bit closer, the females were much farther out into the reservoir.






I must have had about 30 ducks away from the hide but the above were the only ones that came that bit closer.






Cormorant, Teal Hide.

This bird flew then flew by so a quick change of settings and hope for the best.





EYEBROOK RESERVOIR.


  


Red Kite, Between Stockerston and Horninghold Villages.

This bird has a small white wing tag indicating it is an East Midlands tagged bird. {local}














Cormorant and Lapwings, the Island point.

These birds sat on the point of an area they call the island, the water level has again dropped from being full two weeks ago. Looks like a Golden Plover to the front. 




Another Lapwing arrives.



Red Kite, Opposite Stoke Dry.


I had just parked when this bird flew by being pushed along on a brisk wind.




Same bird.




These two birds were seen whilst I stood on the bridge crossing the entrance stream, {the Eye Brook} entering the Reservoir.







This bird flew virtually directly over the top of me.





This bird then flew by from the right but a reasonable distance away.






In total I had seen ten Red Kites during my visit, some of which however were much to far away to even consider trying for an image. 




Teal Drake and female. Entrance stream.

With the Garganey Duck, Teal are the smallest of our ducks.

 
 




Hen Pheasant, Under the Bird feeders by the Bridge.

We always take images of the Cock Pheasant but the Hens are also a beautiful bird.





Blue Tit, Near the Bird Feeders.

Hardly in pristine feathering but still a beautiful little bird. 




Great Tit, by the Bird Feeders.

About in reasonable numbers picking up seed where others had dropped it. Only about 18 metres away, why can't some of the other bird come this close. 









Thank you for your visit, I hope you have enjoyed it as much as I did in the getting of the images.

10 comments:

  1. Brilliant work John, I love the best is no doubt the Goldeneye, beautiful. But, I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Bob,
    It has been difficult with the weather to get some reasonable images, but its the same for all of us. Lets hope we can have so reasonable weather soon and the birds will do as we wish{If only}. The Goldeneye are a really beautiful duck.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have obviously had more than your share of terrible weather, John, but I am glad to here that you persevered and got out and about a bit. I always figure that we can’t change the weather so we have to deal with it as best we can. You pictures of the male Common Goldeneye are quite superb. This is a very common species here in the winter. Enjoy the rest of the week. I have my fingers crossed for good weather for you.
    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi David,
    Thank you for the visit, yes we have to make the best of what we've got but it can be somewhat uncomfortable sometimes. I always think Goldeneye are such a stunning duck but we have had very few visiting this year to date.
    I was most impressed with your bird count report with the youngsters, well done. It is very rewarding when you can get youngsters attention and find they are enjoying what they are doing.
    I am counting on your good weather arriving for me this week!!
    All the best to you both, John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello John, wow those are some great birds you saw on your outing. That Golden Eye is most wonderful just as the Red Kyte. Yesterday we had sins a long time some Sunshine. But just as in England it rains a lot over here.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roos,
      Thank you for such a positive comment, I really did have a wonderful afternoon out and what a difference the sun makes to the images. I must admit the Goldeneye is a favourite of mine with only a Smew surpassing it. Yes today we have had some sunshine with a bit of snow this afternoon.
      Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day as I am hoping to get to Rutland and catch up with the Smew.
      All the best, John

      Delete
  6. Hi John!!! Awesome pictures.. Love the Goldeneye.. So beautiful.. A kind regard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana,
      Thank you, I enjoyed your Blackbird images very much. The Goldeneye is a lovely duck and I always enjoy getting images of the Red Kite, but you really need the sun, something we have been lacking greatly.
      Fingers crossed for some sunshine.
      All the best, John.

      Delete
  7. Extraordinario reportaje John, me han gustado mucho todas las fotos en especial las del Goldeneye, un pato que por mi área es una absoluta rareza. Un fuerte abrazo desde España.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hola German.
    Gracias por el commentario. Los Goldeneye son un pato tan hermoso, paro no se acercan, este es un problema en este momento, nada parece estar muy cerca de mi.
    Tuviste mucha suerte con el Siskin.
    Todo lo mejor de Inglaterra. John

    ReplyDelete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!