Translate

Wednesday 6 December 2017

TWO VISITS TO RUTLAND WATER,  AND PLAYING CHASE THE HAWFINCH.


I had two visits to Rutland Water, the first being on the 23 rd of November when I decided to have a visit to the Dam area to look for the Great Northern Diver and the Red-breasted Mergansers. of which three had been present that morning.

I arrived at 14.15 hrs approx and upon getting out of the car noticed that the wind had increased greatly since leaving home. Having paid my dues I met a gent just coming away from the dam who said that he could basically see nothing as he could not stand up and keep still with the wind on the dam, but had met up with another gent with a scope who had seen both sets of birds earlier. 

So like an idiot I got on my way out onto the Dam and after about 100 metres stopped to have a look through the bins to see what if anything was about, I had great difficulty in standing up in the wind and most certainly could not keep still enough to see anything.


So I carried on farther out onto the Dam, getting about a quarter of the way across and by this time being really battered by the wind I stopped for another look about. So I got down on my knees so as to get some protection from the Dam top and again tried to find said birds, still with no luck, I still could not keep the bins steady. Having put the bins down and looking through streaming eyes I hoped I would see something bob up on top of the waves that were pounding the Dam but nothing.

I then looked back to where I had come from just to see a lady blown over, so I got up and I started to walk back to see if she was alright , she however got up and waived she was alright, so about turn and carry on across the dam being blown about and repeating the above process several times but with such large waves it was a hopeless.


I eventually reached to far end of the dam  and carried along the far side of the reservoir to see if I could get a bead on any of the birds sideways on but no luck. 


So I eventually had to admit defeat, turn round and head back across the dam for the car park, on my way back the wind even seemed to get stronger and I must admit I was glad to get back to the car having walked about two and a half mile  for nothing.


The only good thing to come out of the trip was to see a Little Owl at Site No. 8 again, hardy little bird this one.


My next trip to Rutland Water was on the 30 th of November when I decided to visit the Egleton Reserve, it was a little breezy but the temperature was only 1.5 deg C so I thought Egleton was the best bet with its numerous hides.


I had not been on site for long when it clouded over and the light became very poor, so it was a case of visiting the hides quickly to see what was about, and then return to the car park. On arriving back at the car park I felt a few spots of what I thought was rain hit my face, but by the time I had taken my boots off and got in the car it was snowing with a full blown blizzard that luckily only lasted about half an hour.


On my outward journey I saw two little Owls, one at Site No. 6 and another at Site No. 8. Then on my journey home I saw a Little Owl sitting in the doorway at Site No. 12. I did not even try for an image as it was still snowing, luckily not so hard and was getting dark so at last I have seen more than one bird in the visit.




     
LITTLE OWLS.




Little Owl Site No. 8.  23rd November.

Even though it was reasonably windy, this little soul sat out getting some protection from the tree.



Little Owl Site No. 6.  30th November.

This a bird I have not seen for a reasonable length of time so wonderful to drive round the corner and see it on the girder. 




Little Owl Site No. 8.

This week the bird was tucked in on the other side of the tree. 



Red Kite, Little Owl Site No 9.

Stopped to have my lunch quickly on the way through and this bird came by and interrupted my sandwich and cup of tea.  





EGLETON RESERVE. 
30th November. 

Having visited all my normal hides, the only images worth posting I have put below, the light became awful and not worth really carrying on around the reservoir.



Kestrel, Adjacent to Car Park.

This bird was in the same tree I saw the Red Kite in a few weeks ago, approx 200 metres  away but before the light went completely on me.



Redshank, Crake Hide.

This bird suddenly appeared, first wader I have seen for a few weeks. Awful job trying to get a decent image.  



Redhead Smew, Lapwing Hide.

On arriving in the hide I asked the only other gent if he had seen the Smew, [they were reported as being in the South Arm of the reservoir] this gent who had a scope said he had been looking for about half an hour and could not find them in amongst the Wigeon, Teal and vast numbers of Coot. So I had a token look through the bins and after a few minutes the gent said his good-byes and left the hide, I got up to do the same and thought I might as well have a look out the other side of the hide into Lagoon 2. Peeping through the hole in the shutter guess what I saw, yes the two female Smew only about 50 metres away. Mind with the light as it was this is only a record shot.





LETS PLAY HUNT THE HAWFINCH.


Having had six visits to the site having had phone calls from Rhys telling where the birds were, my results follow.

On my first visit, the Hawfinch sat out in the open in the tree next to where they were feeding, had my bins but no camera with me, I was on my way to see a Rugby Match. Next visit the birds had been seen just before I arrived, this time with the camera. The sun came out but the birds did not.

And this is how it has carried on so I had to be happy with a few images of some Redwing. It seemed when the Hawfinch flew in they either landed in he back of the tree or when landing on the front, they were obscured by the fronds and berries.

Rhys has reported they are in the next village so I will have to have another try for these little beauties.




Redwing.

These birds were reasonably regular visitors whilst the sun was shining, you can see why the Hawfinch were visiting, plenty of food.










Just struggling to get its footing. 








Grey Squirrel .

Oi, I'm here as well. \suddenly popped up and waited for me to take an image.


Thank you for your visit, I hope you have enjoyed the visit as much as I did in the getting of the images.
That is except on the Dam at Rutland.

14 comments:

  1. Brilliant images of all them John, I love the Red Kite flying, absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob
      thanks for the visit, we all appear to be suffering with a mixture of poor light and birds not behaving by staying so far away, can't wait for some of them to agree and come considerably closer.
      All the best, John

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Nathalie,
      I am finding it difficult at the moment to find sufficient subjects for a blog, but I suppose its that time of the year. Thanks for the visit.
      All the best, John

      Delete
  3. Interesting account of your search for shots for your blog. Worthwhile inspite of weather! Love the Kestrel and Red Kite images and really like the sequence of the Redwing feeding on the berries and the expression caught of the grey squirrel! Great the Little Owls are reappearing. No sighting here of Short Eared Owl you spotted. Will keep looking!! M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Margaret,
    Thought you would enjoy the squirrel, yes it really has been a search for not many images but that's the way of the world.I only saw one Little Owl yesterday, but keep an eye out for the Shortie, I would keep a watch on the lower area fields below you.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Realmente magníficas todas estas fotos John, me han gustado sobre todo las del zorzal alirrojo (Turdus iliacus) con las alas abiertas, son extraordinarias. Enhorabuena amigo mío, todo lo mejor desde España.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola German,
    Gracias por la visita, estoy en la busqueda de dificiles de encontrar temas para obtener buenas imagenes de los Redwings eran perfectos espacialmente con el sol. Hemos tenido nieve todo el dia de hoy!!!!.
    Todo lo mejor de Inglaterra, John

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello John, great you saw the LO. You made some great captures. Love the last five ones with the Red Wing and the Squirrel having a feast with the berries.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Roos,
    Only saw the one Little Owl last Thursday but that the way its goes. Enjoyed getting the Redwing images but would have loved to have seen the Hawfinch when I had the camera.
    You look after yourself, all the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha, I love your squirrel although I prefer the red ones!!
    How lucky you are to get to photograph the Redwing, I never even saw one!
    And congrats for the kestrel, always a great subject.
    Many thanks for your kind visits, it seems I can never sit down for a while and blog!
    How patient you are with me ;-)
    All the best John, and enjoy your weekend

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Noushka,
    Glad to hear from you after your Spanish trip.
    I agree with you regarding squirrels, but unfortunately around here we have no Reds, just the Greys which I have to keep away when we have young Barn Owls.
    We have at the moment with the weather we are experiencing large numbers of Redwing, they with the Fieldfare are always good subjects.
    Kestrels are always a good bet if you can anything like close, I find they are a very nervous little bird.
    This week I had a visit for Red Kite, saw 18 but they were all unfortunately so far away.
    You have been on a break and will have numerous things to catch up with before Christmas, so I was not having to be patient, just sensible.
    You look after yourself, all the best, John

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Redwing is not a bad consolation prize for the Hawfinch. Actually, I had my best looks at Hawfinch in about fifty years in Slovenia in October. It is a wonderful bird to see. The bill is impressive to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Both,
    I actually saw the Hawfinch but never when I had my camera with me, as you say a very impressive bill. The Redwing were a very good consolation and I intend to have an afternoon out for Redwing and Fieldfare.
    All the best and thank you for the visit.
    John

    ReplyDelete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!