Translate

Monday 29 August 2016

TWO TRIPS TO SEE THE OSPREYS.


As reported in my last post, the Juvenile Ospreys have started migrating, so I decided on Monday the 22 nd to have a quick visit to Manton Bay, after having spoken to Paul in the Lyndon Centre and finding that T8 was still  with us. So after lunch I got on my way arriving at 14.00 hrs and made my way to Shallow Water Hide. It was another of our warm and humid days, so by the time I arrived at the hide, it looked as if I had fallen in the Reservoir, every body was the same, but don't complain, it could be raining again. I managed to find all three birds within a short time, much to the appreciation of some of the other visitors in the hide who had only found the female, one gent said he had taken about fourty images of the female on the post.  The female being on the T post eating  the remains of a fish and 33/11 and T8 being in the poplar tree behind the nest. I took some quick record images and waited for the birds to fly, I waited and waited and waited and they all sat in the same position until it was time for me to get back to the car park and home, a bit of a wasted trip but never really wasted when you have a camera with you. I managed some other images of other birds but it was really the Ospreys I wanted to see, could be the last chance until next Spring.


My next visit was for an Osprey Duty  on the 25th of August, Richard was feeling unwell so I contacted the Lyndon Centre to say I would be available for the duty and would get to site a.s.a.p. after 13.00 hrs. I arrived at Waderscrape Hide at 13.15 hrs and took over the duty. T 8 had left that morning but we still had 33/11 and the female both in the bay. I think people had decided to visit the Ospreys when they had found they were leaving early, so I had a very busy afternoon, very little time to take images, not that the birds flew about at all. What with numerous families with children which was really good, I love it when families turn up, the children are, as a rule so very interested. With one family of Mum,Gran and three young Girls having a really marvellous time. I lowered the scope down so the girls could see through without having to stand on a chair, even finished with Gran on her knees using it to every ones amusement. The girls and adults bombarded me with questions and were fascinated with the migration map we have on the wall, the youngest girl who could have only been about seven was amazed as to the distance the birds flew and was asking why do they go to Africa, I said if you had been you would understand, its warmer than England in the Winter and the food supply is close by and plentiful when you roost in a Palm tree on the beach. One couple had seen on the internet about the Ospreys and had driven down from Hull to see them before they had all headed South. I eventually finished my shift at 17.00 hrs and headed to Eyebrook for my tea as usual.  

On arrival I headed for the Bridge at the top of the Reservoir to see what was about. I had not been on the bridge for long when I saw a blue flash, a Kingfisher, this flew up and down the channel a few times and then landed on a branch, the results are below. 

On my return journey I saw two Little Owls. one at Site 9, an adult and likewise at Site 1, no images were attempted as it was getting late.

Having looked on the Osprey post, 33/11 was nest building yesterday, he should be thinking about following his youngsters.




RUTLAND WATER.
22 nd of August.






Female Osprey. {Maya}, Shallow Water Hide.

When I arrived at the Hide, this is the only bird that the other occupants could see. Please remember the nest is almost 250 metres from the hide.



Juvenile Male Osprey T8.

I eventually spotted T8 first sat in one of the Poplar trees behind the nest, this is another 50 metres farther away from the Hide.



Male Osprey 33/11.

The male sat farther back and higher in the tree. this was the best image I managed, the leaves kept blowing in front of him, none of the birds moved whilst I was on site. 




 Ruff {female}, Shallow Water Hide.

This bird flew in and staid to the front of the hide about thirty metres away for about 15 minutes.










Lapwing, short on plumage.

This was the only Lapwing I saw during my visit. Also most of the Common Terns seemed to have gone, all seem to be leaving very early.   



Canada Goose and Greylag Goose
.
Just looked out to the side of the hide and saw this and got a quick image, a collision seemed inevitable. 



Touch down without a mishap. 



Then some others came in, this time a Common Tern ducking. 



Little Egret fishing to the front of the Hide.

Even though the bird was over one hundred metres away, couldn't resist getting an image, kept doing the little jumping on the legs dance whilst fishing. 



Immature Migrant Hawker Dragonfly, Near Tufted Duck Hide.

Saw lots of Dragonflies but very few landing, mostly Brown Hawkers.




RUTLAND WATER.
OSPREY DUTY.
25th of August.
Waderscrape Hide.



Male Osprey 33/11 sat on the Manton Bay nest.





Male Osprey 33/11 sat on T post adjacent to nest .

Sat most of the afternoon eating his fish whilst the Female sat on the nest continuously food begging. Hide to the T post is 325 metres.



Female Osprey sitting on the nest food begging. 



At last the Male brings the remains of his fish to the nest and the female collects it and takes it to the T post to finish. This was  the only time the birds moved, yet again unable to get any flight images.




EYEBROOK RESERVOIR.






Taken from the Bridge at the Inlet.


My idea was to get to Eyebrook and have my tea, I stopped by the bridge and walked up and looked over as Kingfishers are seen on a regular basis { might I add not by me } . Then a blue flash flew down the channel turned and flew back up and  then turned and flew back and landed on a stick sticking out of the water. I quickly picked up the camera, pointed at the stick and shot, only to find the pigeon to the left of the stick had disturbed  the Kingfisher and I didn't see it again.

It would have been a 100 metre plus image, but it would have been a Kingfisher at last, Ruddy Pigeon. 



Moorhen below the Bridge.

A rushed image as the bird ran across the inlet Brook on the lily leaves. 





Hare Near Stockerstone Village.

After sitting and having my tea and seeing two Ospreys on the far side of the Reservoir, I got on my way and headed for home only to come across this Hare on a field track I use to get onto the Little Owl route.



Thank you for your visit, I hope you have enjoyed the images as much as I did in the getting of them.

15 comments:

  1. Wonderful sightings naturally, but that photo of the hare is fantastic! He has got a cuter face than most I have seen here!
    You did well to set it up as your banner, it is stunning.
    Keep well John, and enjoy your week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Noushka, thanks for the visit, you can probably tell but it was getting dark by the time I saw the hare, he decided to sit and watch me as I watch him. You look after yourself. Regards John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Noushka, thanks for the visit, you can probably tell but it was getting dark by the time I saw the hare, he decided to sit and watch me as I watch him. You look after yourself. Regards John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some stunning images, John. Great job, Your dedication to the Osprey recovery project is commendable indeed. Volunteers are truly critical to the success of this kind of programme. Miriam sends you her best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Both, had some wonderful visits on duty with these birds this year but it all seems to have gone so quick, it only seems five minutes ago when I visited for the first time when the female had returned. You both look after yourselves. Regards John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Hare image, John. Also a super record of the Ospreys - I shall miss them!! A most enjoyable post.

    See you tomorrow - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard, Thanks for the comment on the Hare, we both just sat and watched each other, a really delightful time to have with it and only then did I think about taking an image, have changed the Dragonfly label. See you tomorrow, I wonder what delights we will find??? Regards John

      Delete
  7. wonderful shot of the hare! Just walked the dogs and they sent up one in the bean field. Made me jump!
    Love the Ruff images too, the ripples on the water adding to the picture. Still no sign of our little owls. M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret, enjoyed the visit this afternoon, thanks for the tea and biscuits. We must go out for a walk with the dogs and see what we can find. We are finding Little Owls at sites we have seen none at for a long time, keep watching. Glad you have managed to post a comment, what ever you did this week keep doing it. John

      Delete
  8. Your rabbit shot is so sharp and clear, I feel like I can almost reach out and touch that beauty. Great shots again and love the one of the moorhen walking on the lilypads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, lovely to see the Moorhen run across the lilypads, funny to watch as the pads dipped under the water. Regards John

      Delete
  9. Hello John, yes another season gone by. And Ospreys on their way to Africa. Some birds are still around. But they are on the move as yesterday I mananged to see one Osprey flying over the Luysen where I mostly go for watching birds. This must have been a bird from one of the Skandinavian countries. It is so exciting to see these birds and it makes my day. The capture of the Hare is most wonderful.
    Regards,
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Roos, yes as you say another season with these wonderful birds has nearly ended, we still have the two adults in Manton Bay, we may visit them this afternoon as they won't be around much longer. Glad you managed to see a bird flying South, they are so distinctive when you see them. The Hare was a real bonus shot, it just sat and watched me.
    Regards John

    ReplyDelete
  11. Magnificent array of pics.. Love ospreys and I hope Lapwing and geese come back to Madrid soon.


    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana, thank you for the visit,hopefully you will also see some Ospreys, they are heading South, the bird with the satellite tracker is already well into Spain. Regards John

      Delete

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!