Translate

Sunday 24 April 2016


HOPEFULLY A NEW NEST SITE AND A MANTON BAY DUTY.

I decided on Tuesday the 19th to have a quick afternoon visit to Rutland Water and have a visit to the area of a possible new Osprey nest site. I managed to get away from home at about 12.30 hrs and headed straight for Rutland and eventually arrived at the site at approximately 14.00 hrs. As I walked up towards the site, I could in the distance see two birds on the nest, which is always a good start. I then met up with a couple from Taunton who were on holiday for a few days and spending some time at Rutland. They told me they had been trying to have lunch for about two hours but had been so engrossed with the three Ospreys, this threw me a little, three I quizzed, yes we  have had three birds most of the morning. They then went and sat by a small pool and had lunch and I carried onto the site.

On arriving I could see the two birds who were both food begging so obviously females but no sign of the third bird which I assumed to be a male. After a while the third bird appeared and was a male so I gave the Lyndon Centre a quick ring and spoke to Kayleigh. I explained as to where I was and said I had got two females and one male, to which she replied John Wright { Rutland Field Officer} has been this morning and its two males and one female, I then reiterated that I had definitely got two females and one male so she said I will phone John straight away. John arrived with me within five minutes with a "what have you got then", so I explained to him what was going on. He said its two males and one female and then had a look himself, so I replied we have got one female and one male on the nest then both food begging!. Its changed from this morning and you are correct with two females. He could recognise one of the females but not the second. Likewise with the male bird as it was sitting on the T post near the nest.

This nest is 183 metres from the vantage point which is virtually half the distance to the nest site at Manton Bay which is a plus, but will I'm sure be put out of bounds if the birds settle to raise young and people will be moved farther away to allow the birds some peace. 

We both then set about getting some images of these birds to see if we could see some ring numbers, and then after while to really throw a spanner in the works, the other male that John had seen earlier turned up and was flying about.  To say it got confusing is an under statement, you were not sure which male you were following and the females would not leave the nest. I remained on the site with John until 15.30 hrs and then having had a super afternoon, had to make my way back to the car park and calling in at a hide and head for home.

Then Thursday Richard and myself were on duty at Manton Bay for the afternoon shift, Richard arrived for 13.00 hrs and I arrived for about 13.30 hrs and did our shift, we only lost the male bird twice or should I more accurately say misplaced. It was a very peaceful shift with very little going on, the action really starts once the young have hatched and then we really have to monitor what is going on and who is being fed and what with, so we are at the moment making the best of it until we have to step up a gear. We had numerous visitors in the hide to take a view at the Ospreys, we even had the couple come to visit from Taunton whom I had been with on Tuesday which was nice to see them again.  One nice thing in the afternoon Richard saying I wish we could see a Water Vole and within seconds one appeared and swam across the front of the hide, must use his talents for other things!!!!! {images below}.       



RUTLAND.
19th of April 2016.




This was the site that greeted me on first arriving, two females sat on the nest both food begging. 




Male Osprey arrived and commenced fishing but unfortunately missing the fish. 









Very quickly the Black Headed Gulls were up and chasing him but no fish to steal.



Chasing him past the front of the nest, you can still see he is dripping water. The two females watching and still food begging.






 Calling and still dripping water.






He then gained height and spent some time looking for fish. 






Under the new Volunteer Rules we are not supposed to talk ring numbers other then for the Manton Bay Ospreys, well I'm not talking ring numbers am I, so please ignore the blue and white thing on his leg. Thank you.   



Male on the T post and two females on the nest, still food begging. 



Back into the air and again hunting for fish. 






He had just dipped his feet into the water. 






Male just landing on the nest T post, this is the closest I saw him to the females. however in the morning John had two males on the nest and only one female. 



This is the only image I got of the second bird at a lower height, most of the time he was well up above the water. 



Just a quick swoop around and a bit of a dive after. Such spectacular birds in flight for the size.



Landing again on the T post. 



Second Male hovering from behind, just could not resist putting this one in the post because of the wing pattern. Unfortunately still high and a long distance away.  


RUTLAND.
Lagoon 4.





Common Sandpiper, Dunlin Hide.

Called into hide on my way back to the car park, this bird was on the end of one of the islands, another long distance image. 



Lapwing just checking up on a Greylag Goose on its nest.



MANTON BAY, OSPREY DUTY.
21st April 2016.




Male on the camera T post, female on incubation duties. 



Awful image of the three precious eggs taken from the television in the hide, female was leaving and the male taking over incubating. You can see his metal ring on the left leg.  



Water Vole, Waderscrape Hide.

This vole appeared just after Richard said I wish we could see a water vole, will try him with a "golden eagle" on next duty.  
 



TRIP HOME.




Little Owl Site No. 12.

The only bird I saw on my return journey. Talking with farmers they are hearing the birds being out late lambing so its fingers crossed for seeing more soon.




Thank you for your visit, I hope you have enjoyed the visit as much as I did in getting the images.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!