Translate

Sunday 20 March 2016


RUTLAND WATER AND COSSINGTON MEADOWS.

I had a visit to Cossington Meadows on Monday the 14th of March for hopefully another session with the Short Eared owls but they did not appear as usual in Swan Meadow and we did not see the birds till we were leaving and were then flying around the field next to the road where we park the cars. 

My next visit out was to my farmer friends and here I saw one Little Owl at Site No. 19 on my homeward journey. I then had to visit Rutland Water on the Wednesday evening for the pre-season Osprey meeting so all the volunteers are up to speed . We were told all the new requirements for this season and where on the migration satellite tracked birds were, 30/2005 was in Western Sahara on the Tuesday evening so I would think she should be in Northern Morocco or Southern Spain by the time this blog is published. An update has just come through and the first Osprey 25/2010 has returned to Rutland Water today [18.03.2016] so we are underway. On my trip out I saw two Little Owls at Site No. 12 and also one Barn Owl just along the road from the site and on my return I saw a Barn Owls near site No. 9, so two Little Owls and two Barn Owls, not bad for just driving through.

My next visit out was on the usual Thursday trip and as Richard was unavailable, I opted to have a visit to Rutland Water having been told the previous evening that the Lagoon Four Peregrine Falcon had taken up residence on the rebuilt Osprey Nest. I left home at the usual time and headed for the normal route calling in at all the Little Owl Sites. On the outward journey I saw a bird at Little Owl Site No. 1, next onto Site 2 and the farmer was working on the fence next to the nest tree so I carried on my way. I saw a bird at Site 5 and then through to Site No. 9 for lunch. After lunch I passed Sites 10 & 12 but no birds were visible so I headed to the Egleton Centre at Rutland Water arriving at 13.30 hrs. After booking in I made my way to Lagoon 4 and Dunlin Hide, this being the closest to the Osprey Nest. On arriving I peeked through the gap above the timber shutter and sure enough sat on the nest was the Peregrine, {this is a bird that fledged from Derby Cathedral site last year} As I watched and got ready to open the shutter the bird flew away putting up gulls and lapwings all over the lagoon, so after waiting for three quarters of  an hour and no Peregrine, I gave it best and headed for Shoveler Hide to see if the Dowitcher was still in residence. After this I headed back towards the car park calling in at other hides to see what was about.

 I then got on my way to check the Little Owl Sites on my return journey seeing birds at Sites Nos.5  and 2 so I finished with only three Little Owls and it appeared a day to see many more, little wind and reasonably warm.

I have for this blog at Rutland Water tried shooting at 14 Bit, The file size have gone up dramatically but the colouration has likewise {I think}. 


LITTLE OWLS
17th March 2016.





Little Owl Site No. 19.

Having visited my friends, on my way out I pass the nest tree and sat in the sun was this bird, unfortunately the shot was virtually into the sun.



TRIP TO RUTLAND WATER.
17th March 2016.




Little Owl Site No. 1.

First site I pass and started positively, the bird sat high in the tree and watched me all the while I was out the car. 



Little Owl Site No. 5.

As I drove past the farm I could see this bird high in the tree, just let the car drift slowly down to get closer then out the window for this shot. 



Same bird I think but on the return journey. 



Little Owl Site No. 5.

On my outward journey, the farmer was working under the tree doing some fencing works. On my return this bird sat out but again the shot was into the sun. 





Proud Mum with her Lambs at the side of Little Owl Site No. 8.

Just could not resist this image, proves Spring is nearly with us.


RUTLAND WATER.
17th March 2016. 



Osprey Nest Platform, Lagoon 4. Dunlin Hide.

On arriving at the hide,a Peregrine Falcon was sitting on the nest. This nest had been rebuilt the previous day as we have hopes that it will be in use this year. Two Birds spent most of last Summer at the site and will hopefully mate this year.  



Egyptian Geese, Lagoon 4.

 These are the only visitors I had onto the nest. Lets hope for the Ospreys next time.



Great Crested Grebe, Dunlin Hide, Lagoon 4.

A very colourful bird but no signs of them pairing together as yet.



Shoveler Drake, Lagoon 2, Grebe Hide.

Super ducks with wonderful colouration, not bad in the reflection. 



Long Billed Dowitcher, Lagoon 3, Shoveler Hide.

After leaving Dunlin Hide I headed straight to Lagoon 3 to see if I could get any better images of the Dowitcher. The bird appeared in the same place as previous and with it being only a small wading bird and being just over 90 metres away, the images are reasonable.



Again a shot where you can see all the bill. 



Wild Primrose, Near Grebe Hide.

Another sign that Spring is on its way.


SHORT EARED OWLS.
COSSINGTON MEADOWS.



One of the darker birds, again the birds would not come close and all the following images are very long shots. 



 Another of one of the darker birds, on this visit they flew higher than on previous occasions. 









This time the pale bird flying high. 



Bird should be watching the ground , that's where the food is.



Bird really looking upwards, personally could see nothing above it .





Thank you for your visit, I hope you have enjoyed the images as much as I did in getting them. Thank you for all the previous comments, they are very much appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!