Translate

Monday 5 October 2015

AN AFTERNOON ON MY OWN.


Richard had some devastating news from some friends in France and felt unable to have a visit out this week. So I decided to still have a visit out and managed to be away from home by 13.15 hrs and headed straight through to Rutland Water to try for some more Dragonfly images.

On arrival at the Egleton Centre I had a chat with the volunteer on duty, this a man who we usually see at the Lyndon Centre but during the Winter months that Lyndon is closed he does every other week at Egleton. He said he had been down to Bittern Hide earlier and had seen a family of four Kingfishers feeding in the pool to the front of the hide but also said he had seen large numbers of Dragonflies.

After about five minutes I quickly had a visit upstairs to the Hide and tried for an image of the Great White Egret, this was a silly distance away but you have to try, got some images but far from perfect, in fact far from mediocre. I then returned back down stairs and was again chatting with David when Tim Appleton came into the Centre, his first remark was "what little beauties, absolute delights", he had just taken two mini bus loads of children and teachers out and about the reserve and had a wonderful time with them.

After chatting for a while he said where are you going, I said I would be visiting Bittern Hide looking for the Kingfishers that David had seen earlier in the day, I will see you up there in a while he said and then disappeared, I thought you are much too busy to waste time with me and got on my way. I visited all the hides up to Osprey Hide and had a quick visit to Shoveler Hide where I met up with Tim, he asked if I had seen the Kingfishers to which the answer was no but I was about to go to Bittern Hide to have a look, by this time Tim had one of the Staffs wives with him so we three set forward to Bittern Hide. On arrival a couple were already in the Hide so Tim asked have you seen any Kingfishers, yes said the lady, where we asked looking out the front of the hide at anywhere they could land, in Plover Hide about ten minutes ago, she had sat at the end of the hide next to a gate and the Kingfisher had landed about four foot from her and sat for about five minutes before flying away, lucky lady!!

So our party of three set off towards Plover Hide and on arrival two other ladies that Tim knew were already in the hide so after his greeting with them, we settled down for about three quarters of an hour waiting for the birds to hopefully visit, Tim then said he would have to go back to the Centre but would be back soon and would try some of the other Hides and if he saw anything would get a message to us. The lady and myself then started to move around the Hides trying to get a track on the birds, she said she had seen a family of four the previous evening with her husband on the wire fence at Shoveler Hide, after we had again visited Shoveler hide, I went round to Osprey Hide whilst she staid in Shoveler. I was just coming out of Osprey Hide when the husband of the lady arrived and said come round to Crake Hide, Tim has them spotted, so another quick jaunt around to Crake Hide but by the time we arrived they had just departed. That was it for me, Kingfisher chasing had to stop and I needed to head back towards the car park as time was passing, I had not got many images for the Blog and I still had to do some Little Owling and have some tea.  

I arrived back at the car park at about 17.15 hrs and headed away for some Little Owls and tea.

On my return journey I saw a bird at Little Owl Site No. 6 and one at Site No. 5, I was unable to get an image as the bird was buried towards the middle of a Hawthorn bush.

Sorry this post is a bit late but Richard gave a talk at the bird club on Friday, "Speyside, A Place For All Seasons", a super talk with some excellent images, well done Richard. Then on Saturday England were against Australia in the Rugby world cup, so I had to watch and despair at that. 



Common Darter, Male, Near the Dipping Pond.

Keep thinking this will be the last time I see any Dragonflies but they are still about in good numbers.



Great White Egret, Egleton Upstairs Hide.

 Taken more as a record shot, on checking the bird is 530 metres away from the hide.



Comma Butterfly, Dipping Pond.

For so late in the season, in remarkably good condition. 



Southern Hawker, Dipping Pond.

Not seeing so many Hawkers but plenty of Darters, this one showing the ravages of time.  



Common Darter, Female near Osprey Hide.

Another dragonfly in pristine condition, like the shadow on the wood.



Migrant Hawker, between Osprey and Shoveler Hides.

A few small holes in the wings but in wonderful condition. 



Little Egret, Lagoon Four, Plover Hide.

Whilst we watching and waiting in case the Kingfishers arrived, this Little Egret made a visit.  



At last managed to freeze the water splash, also the head is in focus, they are so fast, it took many tries to get this image, the others I was much too slow. 



Like the reflection, Little Egret Yellow feet .






Common Darter Male, Near Plover Hide.

Common Darter having his tea, you can see the fly in its mouth. 



Heron, Lagoon 3, Shoveler Hide.

Master of all it surveys, always appears strange to see a Heron sat up high in a tree, again a very long shot. 






Shoveler Duck, Lagoon 3, Shoveler Hide.

Had three all together feeding in the shallows to the front of the Hide.



Crane Fly, Between Shoveler and Osprey Hides.

Still about in large numbers. Crane flies are one of the largest groups of flies and includes over 15,000 species.



Wigeon , Lagoon 2, Grebe Hide.

Again a long shot but the first Wigeon I have seen for a while .



Little Owl Site No. 6.

Bird back in its favourite position taking in the last rays of the sun.



Sun Going Down.

Place where we stop to phone to say we are on our way home
. Also the area where we occasionally see a Barn Owl.



Thank you for your visit, a smaller and later post than usual, please feel free to leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!