Translate

Friday 1 August 2014

A THURSDAY EVENING OUT.

Richard and myself decided to have Thursday afternoon out and about, but due to me having a poorly dog and Richard a poorly shed roof, the outing was curtailed to a late afternoon and evening. We set off and having travelled part of the way it started to rain, in one place it poured but within a short time we ran out of the rain and the sun came out to give us a wonderful evening. The highlight being seeing two juvenile Barn Owls in the nest tree discovered by Richard. Mind we also managed to see seven Little Owls, so all in all a great trip.

It was only towards the end of this trip that it was noticed by Richard, not me?? that the optical stabilisation on my lens was switched off, therefore not the best of images.



Little Owl Site No 9.

We arrived and sitting in the nest hole was a juvenile on one leg, thoroughly relaxed watching the world go by.


Little Owl Site No 9.

Juvenile up in nest tree ready to fly.

Little Owl Site No 9.

Juvenile on post sleeping.





Little Owl Site No 5.

I had a visit out on Tuesday evening and met up with the farmers wife at the above site. She told me she had been across the other side of the farm on one of the access tracks and when slowing down prior to opening the gate she saw something move in the ditch and fly up onto a post. She stopped and sat just outside her car was a Little Owl. So Richard and myself visited the site and got the above images. This site is approximately 800 metres from the nest tree but we are sure they are displaced juveniles from site 5.


Two Barn Owl juveniles in nest tree, we could have more in the hole.
We took these shots from a distance to be sure as not to disturb the birds.

To top the evening, we got home only to see one of our adult Barn Owls flying back to the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me;


Titus White:
Hi I am Richard Peglers friend Titus White, and those who follow Richards posts will understand the name and reason for it. I have been birding with Richard for 3 years and a volunteer at Rutland Water on the Osprey Project for 2 years. My early images were taken on a Nikon D80 with a 70 - 200mm lens. I updated the lens to a 70 - 300mm VR lens but still was not happy with the results. Eventually when Nikon announced the D7100 I decided to change so upgraded the camera and also invested in a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens.
I first met Richard through Arthur Costello as I was having the occasional visit from Little Owls on our land. We eventually found the Little Owls through another contact about 100 metres away. Photo's will follow on future posts.
I have recently upgraded my camera to full frame, this is a challenge I am at the moment enjoying trying to get the best out of the beast.
Free counters!